January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Just now, Farlz said:

While Bowen would've been a fantastic signing, we were never going to spend whatever Hull wanted. If we went down it would kill us. 

Great bit of business for Palace though. 

if it's only 16m as reported i'll be gutted though

• Like 3

"We're after a calibre who can play at the top level, which is the Premier League. Ideally you'd love somebody who has experienced that before because there's less adaptation risk. We're now at the top table and you want players who can play at the top table."

Smith, though, is remaining cool despite tomorrow's 11pm deadline fast approaching, and added: "I'm very calm. I'm fortunate, I worked at Brentford where I had two sporting directors dealing with most of it, and I'm fortunate here that I've Suso and Christian (Purslow) dealing with it as well.

"I can dip in and out with my views on things, but I'm pretty much being left to concentrate on the team putting in a performance at Bournemouth."

Smith was also asked about the prospects of Jota departing on loan to Fuham. The Spaniard's drastically fallen out of favour at Villa Park and looks set for the exit door.

"He has trained every day with us and, as I've said before, I'm not going to talk about players in or out at this moment because things can change so quickly in the last 48 hours," Smith said.

Birmingham Mail

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Stephen_Evans said:

I think Dean's comments may just mean that the process of negotiating transfers once targets are identified is dealt with by Suso and Purslow.  I doubt it means he has no input into the identity of the players pursued.

I know from his previous comments Deano insists on meeting them and giving it the final nod, but as an example I remember him saying Heaton was his signing, but that he normally describes the type of player he wants and Suso then goes looking. 

As others have said, I reckon it would be better for him to be more involved in selecting individuals, especially given his superior knowledge of the English lower leagues. 

Not looking for a row about it with anyone though, just an uninformed observation! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Very worrying if true. Managers should always have the most input on signings, or am I just showing my age.

Umm, pretty sure his input will have been co signing, clearing the players (Kind of players) he wants, and they get on with it.

He doesn't need to be flying to other countries and talking to agents, managing contract and administrative work does he?

Villa fans can spin anything out of context ffs. 😂

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would Bowen to Palace clear the way for our move for Benteke? (I don't want him btw, just throwing it out there).

Clears us to sign Zaha , surely :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Farlz said:

While Bowen would've been a fantastic signing, we were never going to spend whatever Hull wanted. If we went down it would kill us. 

Great bit of business for Palace though. 

£16m to give us a much better chance of staying up is well worth it. If we go down this season we're **** anyway.

2 hours ago, osmark86 said:

wait what? Lolley is on VT?

avfcprideofbrum or something,

I remember one night shift I forgot to bring my dualshock charger so I ended up reading all his messages. dont think they are available anymore though 

40 minutes ago, Awol said:

So Suso really is managing all transfers, that’s pretty astonishing. Also maybe why we’re not being linked with the likes of Bowen and Eze. Can’t see him trudging round Championship grounds.  

come on I don't know why you're taking that as an opportunity to knock him

of course he doesn't trudge around championship grounds, same as he doesn't spend his weekends at the nou camp or the allianz arena, we have a scout network for that, if he's recommended suso might watch him, suso might talk to hull or the players agent or to dean, more likely everyone will talk to everyone

same as deano can watch bowen on tv and WhatsApp suso "you watching sky? bowen looks handy"

"deal with it" means negotiate and handle contracts, dean smith is not reading let alone going anywhere near writing a contract, agents more than anyone else release links, dean smith isn't on the blower to the mail telling them he wants bowen

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, useless said:

"We're after a calibre who can play at the top level, which is the Premier League. Ideally you'd love somebody who has experienced that before because there's less adaptation risk. We're now at the top table and you want players who can play at the top table."

Smith, though, is remaining cool despite tomorrow's 11pm deadline fast approaching, and added: "I'm very calm. I'm fortunate, I worked at Brentford where I had two sporting directors dealing with most of it, and I'm fortunate here that I've Suso and Christian (Purslow) dealing with it as well.

"I can dip in and out with my views on things, but I'm pretty much being left to concentrate on the team putting in a performance at Bournemouth."

Smith was also asked about the prospects of Jota departing on loan to Fuham. The Spaniard's drastically fallen out of favour at Villa Park and looks set for the exit door.

"He has trained every day with us and, as I've said before, I'm not going to talk about players in or out at this moment because things can change so quickly in the last 48 hours," Smith said.

Birmingham Mail

not sure why they needed to spout that bollocks

it was a good cheap punt at the time that looked like it would pay off during pre season followed by an injury and him now looking like he's behind the pace

I wouldn't have minded us signing Bowen, but I'm not sure he's as good as many on here seem to think he is, he gets plenty of goals but not sure of his all round game, for a winger he doesn't get many assists for example, and he doesn't have the pace that many have been asking for. In a way I see him as a similar player to Hourihane who will get planty of goals and assists, but doesn't have a brilliant all round game. Would take both Benrhama and Eze over Bowen.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, useless said:

I wouldn't have minded us signing Bowen, but I'm not sure he's as good as many on here seem to think he is, he gets plenty of goals but not sure of his all round game, for a winger he doesn't get many assists for example, and he doesn't have the pace that many have been asking for. In a way I see him as a similar player to Hourihane who will get planty of goals and assists, but doesn't have a brilliant all round game. Would take both Benrhama and Eze over Bowen.

Eze is class. Bags of potential. He’d be more of a long term investment than Benrahma or Bowen I think, though. Still very young (21) and drifts in and out of games. But a real talent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Selke has 1 goal in 19 games for Hertha this season. Sign him up.

I have never seen the man play a game, but history has taught me to blame Klinsmann for any problems that team is having. The man couldn't even win at Bayern Munich.