January Transfers 2019/20

sne

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think the context makes any difference at all. Why would RandomCollectionOfLettersAndNumbers819 be any more ITK about 'Beaurigeaud CM from Rennes' than any other ITK?

Anyway, not trying to start a fight, I just think there's a pretty obvious contrast between not believing what ITKs say, and then discussing what an ITK said as if it's real. 

The irony is I posted that sober and now I've had a few drinks. I prefer ITKs that barely post like this one and he's only mentioned ones we've signed. I haven't properly checked the timelines to be fair

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TeeBee said:

Unfortunately nothing other than Chester is on his way out.

Seems that they keep pretty tight-lipped about things now, though - so hopefully there's something going on. Be interesting to see what happens in any case. 

14 minutes ago, TeeBee said:

Unfortunately nothing other than Chester is on his way out.

Unless Chester is desperate to go (find that hard to believe given he's regularly getting on the bench now and we have cup final coming up) I find the timing of this really strange.

He goes and Mings does his hamstring again, what happens then? We bring Engels out of the naughty step or just go back to back 4 which makes it easier for opposition to play through us and one less CB to head crosses away.

Maybe we'll wake up tomorrow and suddenly the Vida interest will be ramped up again or we'll go after another CB last minute. I did actually see that French CB we nearly signed last summer has been linked to a few prem clubs this window so perhaps that could be Kalinic style signing.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Nope. He signed in September 2018, unless there's been another revision of his contract. All accounts for wages I'm reading are for the 2019/20 season, and are unanimous.

Kalinic allegedly had his wages doubled after promotion so I assume Jack had the same agreement when he signed a new deal last season.

Would imagine the contracts signed in 2017 would be lower ones and not perhaps have promotion bonus.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

In place of who? I mean I'm all for improvement of every position, just wondering who would be your first out?

Injuries.

You saw it all fall apart when Mings got injured over xmas.

Given we've had some big ones in January it's important to have all positions covered so you don't leave yourself short.

Pretty sure you can't have recall option on loan deals in January so if Chester goes he won't be back until May.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Any MORE business.  We've brought in more than any other club - Reina, Drinkwater, Samatta (and Barry).

Obviously that was what  I was getting at - no business today or tomorrow. 

I'm happy with our squad, think we will stay up comfortably. Then the likes of Nakamba, Luiz, Wesley etc will flourish next season after a years experience in new surroundings.

What I don't want is getting in players like Sturridge on short term contracts, or loan players, disrupting what we are trying to build. To an extent what is happening by playing Drinkwater ahead of Luiz who looks streets ahead now he is starting to settle. We might be shooting ourselves in the foot if Drinkwaters sub-par performances continue whilst blocking Luiz out of the team. Thats not to say I'm writing Drinkwater off as a bad signing, but too many new players all trying to gel and get match fit might be detrimental.

• Like 2

Still think we'll sign another striker at least, Davis is back but unfortunately is injury prone so can't risk having him as our only back-up, and Samatta is new to the country and Smith has spoken recently about how it's taken time for the summer signings to adapt to the premier league, so think we will be allowing for the possibility that he might not make an instant impact. Would be a mistake to go into the rest of the season with just those two, we barely got away with just having Wesley, Kodjia and Davis for the first half of the season. After the Watford game Smith spoke about this window being difficult and as a consequence we're looking at players all over the world, which made me think that maybe we're either trying to bring in someone from South America, or someone that's playing in the Chinese super league.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Obviously that was what  I was getting at - no business today or tomorrow. 

I'm happy with our squad, think we will stay up comfortably. Then the likes of Nakamba, Luiz, Wesley etc will flourish next season after a years experience in new surroundings.

What I don't want is getting in players like Sturridge on short term contracts, or loan players, disrupting what we are trying to build. To an extent what is happening by playing Drinkwater ahead of Luiz who looks streets ahead now he is starting to settle. We might be shooting ourselves in the foot if Drinkwaters sub-par performances continue whilst blocking Luiz out of the team. Thats not to say I'm writing Drinkwater off as a bad signing, but too many new players all trying to gel and get match fit might be detrimental.

Fair enough - I completely agree.  Hopefully DD's inclusion is pushing Luiz to give it a bit more and the whole squad benefits from a bit more competition.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Unless Chester is desperate to go (find that hard to believe given he's regularly getting on the bench now and we have cup final coming up) I find the timing of this really strange.

He goes and Mings does his hamstring again, what happens then? We bring Engels out of the naughty step or just go back to back 4 which makes it easier for opposition to play through us and one less CB to head crosses away.

I don't like it one bit. An experienced head, a good influence, and now with a genuine role as cover for the back three.  We have nothing to gain from loaning / selling Chester at this stage of his career and contract. And why on Earth would we not want him around the dressing room in the build-up to Wembley and on the day? Not happy about this at all.

Edited by Five Ken McNaughts
  • Like 1

I did wonder about how long the contract he had left here. That's why the loan dosen't really add up. Surely if we were letting him go Stoke could just pay us 2-3m and get him full time as we're just loaning him out to then lose him on free transfer in the summer.

Maybe there's something to do with FFP in that it's better to let him leave permanently in the summer.

6 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Got it - I would say they aren’t credible. Or to put it another way the Mirror is the most credible and we wouldn’t normally ever be saying that, haha. One person has made up some numbers and the others are copying it. I thought you were looking at actual paperwork somewhere!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Maybe we'll wake up tomorrow and suddenly the Vida interest will be ramped up again or we'll go after another CB last minute. I did actually see that French CB we nearly signed last summer has been linked to a few prem clubs this window so perhaps that could be Kalinic style signing.

Yep it definitely does feel as if we will be light for centre backs if we stay with 3 at the back. Surely there will be a replacement lined up? 

• Like 1

If Hull are prepared to sell Grosicki to Albion, then it could be they will do a deal for Bowen as well.

For me, they are their two stand out players, so if one goes both could. Perhaps they now see their promotion hopes as slim to none and are cashing in. I hope we keep an eye on the Bowen situation, particularly if they are now prepared to be more realistic on the fee. If not, might we consider offering Grosicki the chance to join us instead of the barcodes? If they can afford him, he might do a job for us, at a price that is reasonable. 

Thinking logically, Wesley doesn't need to be registered in the team for the rest of the season now, freeing up a slot (you could say this has been filled by Samatta).

If Jota does go on loan to Fulham, we must be bringing someone in you would think. Same could be said for Chester.

As there would be hardly any time to get a work permit through, they would like either be from the UK or a regular international from Europe (where the work permit would be practically guaranteed).

I think the best clue over the next 36 hours is going to be with our senior team loan outgoings as to what positions may be filled.

3 minutes ago, Wes said:

Thinking logically, Wesley doesn't need to be registered in the team for the rest of the season now, freeing up a slot (you could say this has been filled by Samatta).

If Jota does go on loan to Fulham, we must be bringing someone in you would think. Same could be said for Chester.

As there would be hardly any time to get a work permit through, they would like either be from the UK or a regular international from Europe (where the work permit would be practically guaranteed).

I think the best clue over the next 36 hours is going to be with our senior team loan outgoings as to what positions may be filled.

is it possible to de-register a play mid season?