January Transfers 2019/20

sne

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

As per other posters Taylor still has another year on his contract, but otherwise I agree with nearly all of this. I don't think we'll keep Reina either, as Heaton will be back early next season. I would imagine Smith would trust Steer to get us through the first few matches if Heaton isn't quite fit. 

Apparently the Reina deal becomes permanent if we stay up. And I have been impressed with Reina's feet, and distribution. I think he is better than Heaton.

• Like 3

Just now, Philosopher said:

Apparently the Reina deal becomes permanent if we stay up. And I have been impressed with Reina's feet, and distribution. I think he is better than Heaton.

We could do worse than ending up with Reina, Nyland, Kalinic, Steer.

Obviously at least one would go, but in Reina and Heaton we would have two top keepers and very good backup.

3 minutes ago, supermon said:

What happened to the Callejon links? If they've found a replacement, could his transfer now happen?  Maybe a cheaper option to Bowen?

Callejon would be unbelievable! We need someone quality out wide desperately.

I wouldn't actually be surprised if Bowen to us happened, and the fee ends up less than is being predicted, think that the recent story of Leeds offering £3m for him plus £15m at the end of the season was never likely to have any truth to it, but Bowen and his agent are apparently close to Nixon, so wouldn't be surprised if it was put out there to draw counter offers from Premier league clubs.

• Like 1

I don't expect Bowen to move. He's giving Hull a chance to get promoted, or go in the summer.

If he does go in this window, I'd be shocked if it was to us. Hull's price and our wallet are a long, long way apart ATM imo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thug said:

i Know it’s only been 2 games, but I’d be delighted with Reina being permanent, his calmness and ability on the ball is a HUGE upgrade on what we have.

And Heaton could very well be out until october/December  

I can see two new fullbacks and midfielder and a winger coming in permanently between now and next season. Possibly a quality right centre back too.  I would also go for a big money striker in the summer and get one in on Loan for now.

While I like Guilbert and Targett, they both have their limitations. If we really want to improve our defence, a left back that is good one on one and has pace is essential and a right back that is similar to Guilbert only a better crosser and a bit stronger would be ideal.

If Engels isn't deemed good enough he will need to be replaced, and Chester's contract is up, so a right side CB with pedigree is necessary.

We need at least 1 quality winger, as what we have now isn't cutting it. Trezguet and El-Ghazi are talented but to me are back up players at their current levels. So we need at least one winger good enough to walk into the first team. Jota is too lightweight, move him on while we can get something for him. 

Central midfield doesn't necessarily need a big imposing player, but having that option will certainly benefit the team. I like Watford's midfield 3. Capoue, Doucore, and Chalobah are good but we dominated in midfield for the most part. Drinkwater is showing signs, Luiz needs time to develop his undoubted talent, Nakamba won so many challenges and interceptions yesterday and was better with his passing. McGinn is to return, all in all not much is needed here.

I would sign a Grealish back up say Eze for insurance.

Bowen no. He'll cost £15m. We ain't got that right now.

Also Callejon, no. He's on £100k a week at Napoli. Maybe on loan but he's playing a decent amount for them, not like he's not getting any games. He'd be an insanely good signing.

17 minutes ago, Thug said:

i Know it’s only been 2 games, but I’d be delighted with Reina being permanent, his calmness and ability on the ball is a HUGE upgrade on what we have.

I agree with this, I'd love to see him stay if he keeps this form up, but his interviews have made it sound very much like he has no intention of joining us permanently, just that he's here for 4 months before he returns to AC. I'd love to be wrong about that though!

13 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I agree with this, I'd love to see him stay if he keeps this form up, but his interviews have made it sound very much like he has no intention of joining us permanently, just that he's here for 4 months before he returns to AC. I'd love to be wrong about that though!

Yeah, but he will get the Villa Bug.  You know it.

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Still really hope we make a move for Jarrod Bowen. His goal-scoring record is so good I'm sure he would cause problems in the PL.

I think it would be something that we'd regret if we didn't sign him.

Playing Devils advocate though, is he a 'greedy' winger (as he scores so many), like Zaha, at the detriment to his team's Striker? This is the case put forward about Benteke's drop off in goal tally - the style of wing play isn't about crossing its playing as a wide forward.

Not sure it matters in the round, but just a thought, however our service to our forward line is not great this season - last season we had Adomah to Tammy, and to Kodjia the season before.

52 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Giroud won't come to us  He'll go to Inter eventually

Giroud has been told by Deschamps that in order to make the French squad he must be playing regular club football. He knows he has to leave Chelsea so if he comes to us then it’ll be a last minute deal and I suspect we won’t be his first choice. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

Giroud has been told by Deschamps that in order to make the French squad he must be playing regular club football. He knows he has to leave Chelsea so if he comes to us then it’ll be a last minute deal and I suspect we won’t be his first choice. 

The fact he needs to be playing regularly is what makes me question why it's such a nailed on notion in everyone's head that he will go to Inter. Would he realistically play often enough there? Not unless they're planning on offloadinhg some players.

Edited by RichiBoi11
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

Yes but if Kelly Brook had been sent out to procreate and at last minute was shunned by Brad Pitt and was rerouted to my door - well, you can imagine it would be quite alright. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3