January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Just now, RichiBoi11 said:

The fact he needs to be playing regularly is what makes me question why it's such a nailed onnotion in everyone's head that he will go to Inter. Would he realistically play often enough there? Not unless they're planning on offloadinhg some players.

he'd be 3rd choice

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Bowen no. He'll cost £15m. We ain't got that right now.

Also Callejon, no. He's on £100k a week at Napoli. Maybe on loan but he's playing a decent amount for them, not like he's not getting any games. He'd be an insanely good signing.

How do we know this?

We demonstrably looked at Benrahma and Maupay in the last window, at the very least Maupay was looked at in addition to everyone we signed and there's a sense Benrahma was too.

• Like 2

We were also linked with a £20-£30 mill striker right up to the end of the window and the name I was given was Jean-Phillipe Mateta from Mainz. Leao also was in the mix before he joined AC which shows additional funds were there for the right player(s) in the summer. 

• Like 3

£15m would be cheap for Bowen, if the club thought he'd be the difference between staying up and going down then I don't think they'd hesitate to pay that for him, or a little more. People look at the £140m that we were meant to have spent in the summer, and Purslow himself quoted that amount, but a lot of that figure will be tied up in clauses that might not even get triggered, in reality we probably spent a lot less, and will still have scope to spend in this window if we need to, fifteen or twenty million for the right player is nothing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

How do we know this?

We demonstrably looked at Benrahma and Maupay in the last window, at the very least Maupay was looked at in addition to everyone we signed and there's a sense Benrahma was too.

I agree. Also a championship player with 6 months on their contract is just not worth that much. So all the clubs involved will see that fee as a rip off.

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

How do we know this?

We didn't buy either did we?

I think we have the actual cash yes. But we can't spend it due to FFP I believe.

If we could, I don't know why we didn't sign the two players you've mentioned in the Summer. Or sign Bowen and a striker January 1st.

46 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Bowen no. He'll cost £15m. We ain't got that right now.

Also Callejon, no. He's on £100k a week at Napoli. Maybe on loan but he's playing a decent amount for them, not like he's not getting any games. He'd be an insanely good signing.

How do you know what we have to spend?

Never mind. Already discussed. 

Edited by Mazrim

12 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

There's ways of signing players and offsetting payments for FFP. Isn't that what we did with Curtis Davies? You probably have to pay a premium to the club to get on board but it's possible.

But maybe the selling club, if already not that keen on losing their star player, don't want to accept those terms.  If we go down and have to sell Jack we're not likely to say to the buyers - sure pay us the £80m in a few years time - we'll need it for our own FFP purposes.  Sure, it's possible, but pretty tricky to get through IMO.

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

We need at least 1 quality winger, as what we have now isn't cutting it. Trezeguet and El-Ghazi are talented but to me are back up players at their current levels. So we need at least one winger good enough to walk into the first team.

nick young wtf GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

I agree. Also a championship player with 6 months on their contract is just not worth that much. So all the clubs involved will see that fee as a rip off.

He's got 1.5 years with their take up option. 

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

There's ways of signing players and offsetting payments for FFP. Isn't that what we did with Curtis Davies? You probably have to pay a premium to the club to get on board but it's possible.

we loaned him for a season with a permanent transfer attached to it, it sounds like a FFP thing but from memory the ex baggies chairman did this with a fair few deals, leaning more towards a taxman thing rather than FFP

With Sammata in and set to start for Bournemouth game , I can't see us doing anymore business until deadline day , probably the best day for getting in players of a higher quality who are more inclined to us when time is running out

Interested to see several posters stating what Villa can and can't afford this window. Unless they have a direct line to the club then no-one really knows what Villa's budget is this window. 9m has already been spent on a striker with another forward coming in according to Smith.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, supermon said:

What happened to the Callejon links? If they've found a replacement, could his transfer now happen?  Maybe a cheaper option to Bowen?

There have been reports that the hold up in Giroud to Inter was that Inter wanted to move Politano first. So this might take Giroud back off the table, if he was ever back on it.

11 minutes ago, striker said:

Interested to see several posters stating what Villa can and can't afford this window. Unless they have a direct line to the club then no-one really knows what Villa's budget is this window. 9m has already been spent on a striker with another forward coming in according to Smith.

you don't understand how aston villa works...none of us have a direct line but its a well established fact we have no money, we have several members of staff doing **** all, we have scouts who are shit, we have a manager who is shit, we have a youth development system that is shit, we have a head of recruitment who spends all day playing solitaire  and if we do actually make a big money signing then purslow will be shit and putting the club on the brink of financial ruin

to be fair the owners haven't been dragged in to it all yet, they're still ok

• Like 1

Still a bit miffed we didn't attempt to sign Andraz Sporar from Slovan Bratislava. For £6m he'd been an interesting punt.

On his way to Sporting CP apparently, be interesting to see how he gets on.

• Like 1