January Transfers 2019/20

sne

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Giroud would've been the instant starting striker for Villa and he chooses the Inter bench. Idiot.

Whilst I would've loved to of signed him, he will get games for Inter.

They only missed out on progressing through to knockout stages of CL due to Dortmund and Barca topping the group this season.

Next season they are looking quite strong again, with some top players. Serie A has had a bit of a resurgence since it fell way off.

Inter have quality throughout the squad and are half way through the season still very much in the title contest.

He will get games.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Reports that Leeds are lining up a deal for Bowen. 3 million now 15 million at the end of the season if they are promoted. Get this guy in , he is quality.

Be shocked if this goes through. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, thunderball said:

But Kodjia isn't interested, we can't get a tune out of him, Smith could play him but he would just mope around wasting a position.

I can't do the whole Kodjia debate as it is pointless. The have's and have not's it's never ending and bores the shit out of me.

For me it's a case of our priorities come first. In other word Kodjia shouldn't be going anywhere until we have cover. Smith should resolve whatever in order for us to be able to compete Sat. Not Tuesday or the following week, now. If we go and get beat comfortably on Sat and don't even test Brighton, who seriously could say they are comfortable with that? Honestly I really don't want to argue with anyone however I'm with those screwing that we do not have a CF yet. It's Mickey Mouse for a team in a relegation situation to expect to win games without one. In 40 odd years watching us I can never remember this situation occurring previously especially when there has been a widespread and collective understanding from all quarters that we were desperate in this area. Not just now but since the summer.

I could understand if we had a couple of top CF's out. We don't have one out. Our first choice was never ready, needed help and rotating from the start of the season and now he's knackered. We have one that doesn't play and one whos always crocked and not proved he can cut it yet either. It's a very amateurish situation imo.   

• Like 2

I read Wolves are in for Bowen, I'm no authority but if that's true Leeds will not have that deal go through.

Personally, from the little I've seen, I'd of thought Benrahma has the higher ceiling over Bowen.

Certainly technically better with close control and manipulating the ball in tight spaces to get by his man.

As you go up the divisions the ability to create space for yourself becomes more difficult and more important.

I rate Bowen from what I've seen, just wonder if he gets in behind defenses with anywhere near as much ease.

Still has a nice shot on him, gets adequate power behind each attempt for it to go by the keeper.

He's got good vision for how attacks can unfold and I really like that he can play a well weighted pass or rifle in himself.

Reina

Konsa            Mings            Hause

Guilbert                 Nzonzi      Drinkwater                      Targett

Grealish

Slimani         Samatta

Doesn't look too bad ( maybe Nakamba or Luiz for Drinkwater)

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Champions League or Championship. What a moron :rolleyes:

Exactly, he’s a recent World Cup winner and regular in the Champions League. There’s no way he’d come to Villa at this stage of his career.

3 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

4B9A7CAE-484E-4EC0-8790-47E8E78B90A2.thumb.jpeg.416b6175be10b79f9cd4d276d9083056.jpeg

Nyland

Engels

Elmo

Nakamba

Hourihane

Trez

A.N. Other Striker

Realistically, for this window, we’re still short of a striker and a decent winger/wide forward. Surely this has someone like Bowen written all over it, to cover both positions?

I saw a video on YouTube where Paul Merson says that a team only plays 3 at the back because the defenders aren’t good enough. I’m interested to know others thoughts on this

14 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I can't do the whole Kodjia debate as it is pointless. The have's and have not's it's never ending and bores the shit out of me.

For me it's a case of our priorities come first. In other word Kodjia shouldn't be going anywhere until we have cover. Smith should resolve whatever in order for us to be able to compete Sat. Not Tuesday or the following week, now. If we go and get beat comfortably on Sat and don't even test Brighton, who seriously could say they are comfortable with that? Honestly I really don't want to argue with anyone however I'm with those screwing that we do not have a CF yet. It's Mickey Mouse for a team in a relegation situation to expect to win games without one. In 40 odd years watching us I can never remember this situation occurring previously especially when there has been a widespread and collective understanding from all quarters that we were desperate in this area. Not just now but since the summer.

I could understand if we had a couple of top CF's out. We don't have one out. Our first choice was never ready, needed help and rotating from the start of the season and now he's knackered. We have one that doesn't play and one whos always crocked and not proved he can cut it yet either. It's a very amateurish situation imo.   

Kodjia is on 40,000k GBP per week.

Letting a player on that kind of money go elsewhere frees us up considerably to bring in quality personnel who will actually have an impact.

As for amateurish, you're aware that we made 12 new signings in the summer? 9 of which had to become starting eleven material from the get go.

You're aware that we had a squad turnover that saw 30-40% changes where the average for the remaining competition was 5-10%.

Then you factor in that those teams have a greater capacity for chemistry as a consequence of the above, and the all important fact they have established quality in personnel.

It might be amateur hour at Villa for now, but I personally get the feeling it might become the year that the amateurs defied the odds and became top tier.

We brought in a lot of potential, we didn't have the ability to splurge 20-30 million in every position like clubs are doing at basically a minimum rate.

We have 4 or 5 earners of 40k per week or more, and unfortunately for us, two of them are Kodjia and Lansbury.

I'm not suggesting you put on claret and blue tinted glasses, just take off the sh*t stained ones because I think they are murking your view.

Wes was en route to a double digit goal haul, and look at the shambles of ball retention we've seen without him over the last two fixtures. His presence is useful.

You say that in 40 years of support you've never seen it, well I disagree. When Benteke did his Achilles we were just so fortunate it was over the (British) summer.

Otherwise we would've been left with Gab and Weimann, who didn't manage 10 goals between them in 50 appearances between the two.

That season, we finished 17th, 3 points above relegation, and we made a final of a domestic cup, something we might see again this current season.

You say that you could understand if we had a couple of top CF's out, I'm sorry, where do these top CF's come from?

We didn't own a single striker with PL experience upon promotion, what hat do we pull a couple of top goal scorers from?

I'm sorry to attack your post, as I'm aware you said you didn't want to be argumentative, and it's by no means a stab at you personally.

It just irks me that people are trying to pin our predicament on a team of individuals who actually seem like they might be getting it right, for the first time in a decade for this club!

• Like 2

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

I saw a video on YouTube where Paul Merson says that a team only plays 3 at the back because the defenders aren’t good enough. I’m interested to know others thoughts on this

I reckon DS has real concerns about the ability of our central midfield to offer cover and our wide players from keeping the CBS exposed. It’s those players that I think DS doesn’t have faith in (atm). 

Maybe if/when confidence increases, we return to the 4-3-3? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It's utter nonsense. In recent years, Juventus have had some of the greatest centre halves in the world and have largely played with three CBs until this season (with huge success). That said, I'd rather we went back to a back 4.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Had he had  pint before the interview?

• Haha 1