January Transfers 2019/20

sne

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I hope we go in for Meteta even more now. Samatta and Metata would be a great song.

Shame we don’t still have Leandro

Bacuna, Samatta... what a wonderful play.

Bacuna, Samatta...  they’ve got your team in a daze.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

It's utter nonsense. In recent years, Juventus have had some of the greatest centre halves in the world and have largely played with three CBs until this season (with huge success). That said, I'd rather we went back to a back 4.

We can't go back to a back 4 with the type of Fullbacks we have. They get too far forward and the centre halves then get pulled apart trying to cover them

opening up loads of space for opponents attackers. It just won't work

23 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

4B9A7CAE-484E-4EC0-8790-47E8E78B90A2.thumb.jpeg.416b6175be10b79f9cd4d276d9083056.jpeg

Nyland

Engels

Elmo

Nakamba

Hourihane

Trez

A.N. Other Striker

Realistically, for this window, we’re still short of a striker and a decent winger/wide forward. Surely this has someone like Bowen written all over it, to cover both positions?

Nakamba for Luiz. I want someone who tackles in midfield. Luiz further forward for AEG if you wish 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Shame we don’t still have Leandro

Bacuna, Samatta... what a wonderful play.

Bacuna, Samatta...  they’ve got your team in a daze.

Damn it. I was just about to post can we get Bacuna back

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I saw a video on YouTube where Paul Merson says that a team only plays 3 at the back because the defenders aren’t good enough. I’m interested to know others thoughts on this

Every coach has a different philosophy, and every player has been exposed to a unique series of systems. Perhaps that was Merson's experience.

I believe that in our case, the attacking 4-3-3 that was favoured (and will be again) left us too exposed as our liabilities outweighed our assets.

To be specific, the ability to play with the ball in our attacking half, the desired outcome of successfully implementing our tactics, was outdone by the defensive frailties it caused.

Committing 5-8 men forward and using overlaps and one-two's to overload and create chances initially saw us as top 6 for goals scored and shots per game.

Because of those overloads, and a lack of defensive organisation to cover for committing men forward, we also saw us relegation material on goals conceded.

Teams would just need to scupper our sequence of play and hit us on the transition, they have fields of space and a back four on the back foot, also without many games together.

To wind it up, I think that due to injury, personnel at his disposal, and to give less space away in the vertical channels, Smith decided on three CB's.

This still allows us to commit up to 7 men in attack, and also means that there's a much more solid last line of defense, in the event we get caught out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

We can't go back to a back 4 with the type of Fullbacks we have. They get too far forward and the centre halves then get pulled apart trying to cover them

opening up loads of space for opponents attackers. It just won't work

I certainly don't think our full backs (half the time they're Elmo and Neil Taylor FFS!) bomb on any more than most full backs in the PL. I do agree that our CMs don't protect our CBs enough, but I'm hoping that, with one or 2 capable forwards in the side, our team as a whole won't need to be so gung ho in order to score goals. With Wesley misfiring, it was crucial for our CMs to push on whenever possible, but if Samatta (and one other) can bang some in, our midfield needn't be so geared towards attack. 

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Whilst I would've loved to of signed him, he will get games for Inter.

They only missed out on progressing through to knockout stages of CL due to Dortmund and Barca topping the group this season.

Next season they are looking quite strong again, with some top players. Serie A has had a bit of a resurgence since it fell way off.

Inter have quality throughout the squad and are half way through the season still very much in the title contest.

He will get games.

Inter were always my favourite Italian side. 

They had some fantastic players in the late eighties. Matthias, Klinsmann, and Brehme, with his shocking streak of blonde hair as he danced up that left touchline.. 

What a great night that was when we beat them 2 - 0 in the UEAFA Cup. Kent Nielsen's goal, what a screamer, reminiscent of Chris Nicholls in the 77,league Cup final. Shame about the second leg at the San Siro, if only they had VAR then, that first Milan goal would have been chalked off because the ball crossed the touchline before the cross. What an atmosphere though. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I saw a video on YouTube where Paul Merson says that a team only plays 3 at the back because the defenders aren’t good enough. I’m interested to know others thoughts on this

When has Paul Merson every spoke any sense since he finished playing?

He is very similar to David Platt.

Stop watching youtube Sir G :)

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

When has Paul Merson every spoke any sense since he finished playing?

He is very similar to David Platt.

Stop watching youtube Sir G :)

He has been in the game all of his life, he should know what he’s talking about I think 

48 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Honestly I think it's the central midfield especially Luiz being exposed with his inconsistency which leads to Nakamba getting thrown under the bus because of Luiz

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Kodjia is on 40,000k GBP per week.

Letting a player on that kind of money go elsewhere frees us up considerably to bring in quality personnel who will actually have an impact.

As for amateurish, you're aware that we made 12 new signings in the summer? 9 of which had to become starting eleven material from the get go.

You're aware that we had a squad turnover that saw 30-40% changes where the average for the remaining competition was 5-10%.

Then you factor in that those teams have a greater capacity for chemistry as a consequence of the above, and the all important fact they have established quality in personnel.

It might be amateur hour at Villa for now, but I personally get the feeling it might become the year that the amateurs defied the odds and became top tier.

We brought in a lot of potential, we didn't have the ability to splurge 20-30 million in every position like clubs are doing at basically a minimum rate.

We have 4 or 5 earners of 40k per week or more, and unfortunately for us, two of them are Kodjia and Lansbury.

I'm not suggesting you put on claret and blue tinted glasses, just take off the sh*t stained ones because I think they are murking your view.

Wes was en route to a double digit goal haul, and look at the shambles of ball retention we've seen without him over the last two fixtures. His presence is useful.

You say that in 40 years of support you've never seen it, well I disagree. When Benteke did his Achilles we were just so fortunate it was over the (British) summer.

Otherwise we would've been left with Gab and Weimann, who didn't manage 10 goals between them in 50 appearances between the two.

That season, we finished 17th, 3 points above relegation, and we made a final of a domestic cup, something we might see again this current season.

You say that you could understand if we had a couple of top CF's out, I'm sorry, where do these top CF's come from?

We didn't own a single striker with PL experience upon promotion, what hat do we pull a couple of top goal scorers from?

I'm sorry to attack your post, as I'm aware you said you didn't want to be argumentative, and it's by no means a stab at you personally.

It just irks me that people are trying to pin our predicament on a team of individuals who actually seem like they might be getting it right, for the first time in a decade for this club!

What you on about firstly you can go on about attacking a post and saying it's not personal by saying take of the shit stained spectacles because my opinion doesn't sit well with you. 

I can't go through your whole post either as it's all over the place. But here are a few answers or questions whichever you prefer. Nobody, especially me is saying lets not get rid of Kodjia, I'm just saying cover first as our needs are more important. His wage should be irrelevant in comparison to what we may need for a game or two until such time as cover is available. I would rather us have options on the pitch or bench until whenever than nothing at all. 40k on one or two players isn't going to kill us when we are in the PL. We still have I believe one of the lowest paid squads if not the lowest in the PL. And if we are intending on hanging around it will become less relevant, especially a player who'd be off the books in the summer anyway. As I said a potential 3 points is where I'm at. Whats wrong with that?

Also lets be straight here, we didn't bring the players in the summer and then think we didn't need further strengthening. I think the whole world agreed we needed further additions asap when Jan arrived. Especially in the forward area and out wide. Even centrally what we have now injuries have also taken hold, is a situation whereby we are stretched in other areas too. So although your talking about things I never initially commented on with regards to the influx(which I am fully aware of) of players. I think it's also relevant to mention further additions were always going to be required. Also tbf why is it every CF is 20-30m? If we are managed correctly as you feel, why wouldn't we have a couple of gems from the lower divisions in at the start of the season for lower fees? We didn't and you don't have to just buy 20-30m players. 

Now with regards the Benteke comments. Give me the old Benteke out for a while with Gabby and Weimann as back up any day other than nobody. You want to talk about where do top CF's come from, erm...Other clubs mate. Like Maupay for 18m or Ings or any of the other potential strikers we could have purchased in the summer, on top of Wes instead of relying on sicknote Davies and lazy bollox Kodjia(in the eyes of many) as his back up. FWIW I'm not hating on Wes either but everybody knew he/we would need another CF as a min so lets not go on like its all blew up just this second and the club have been caught out. And that the potential for being in this situation didn't exist. I don't care what Wes was on for if he'd remained fit. Who gives a crap about that now he's out?! So unfortunately his presence has become useless. 

The thing is. I appreciate the difficulties when they arise and I understand the situation we are in. As  but I will leave you with this because I really don't want to continue backwards and forwards with someone who see things differently. PPPPPP. UTV 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Honestly I think it's the central midfield especially Luiz being exposed with his inconsistency which leads to Nakamba getting thrown under the bus because of Luiz

I tend to agree. Nakamba makes plenty of his own mistakes, but they don't strike me as anything out of the ordinary for any player still adjusting to this league. Luiz, meanwhile, is not only adjusting, but often being asked to play a role I just don't believe he's capable of playing. At least, not yet.

2 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Would love the links to Jose Callejon to be true. Can’t see it now with us paying a transfer fee for Samatta, but let me dream.

I would be shocked if we brought in a 32 year old

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I agree, I think they are good players individually but not so good next to each other I think 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Chiellini, Bonucci and Barzagli are a pretty shit back 3. Southgate, Ehiogu and God were not much better 

• Like 1