January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Another reason we wont be signing 6-7 players is we simply don't have the squad space for that many arrivals, key signings in key areas that can see us to the next window, still in the Premier League, that's the task ahead of the recruitment team.

I don't see another left back coming in, Smith will have to do what he can with what we have in some positions. I think Targett will be much better as a wing back, seems to suit his game better, just need him to stay fit, we have Hause as an option and even Guilbert has looked decent there when he's had to fill in, he has options for that position.

Smith has said we aren't looking at midfielders, though he could just be blowing smoke there. The main issue with our midfield is we simply haven't had the right balance, whether we have the right players with the right attributes to find that balance is up for debate, but Smith seems to think we do, so unless a really good deal drops in our lap (unlikely but not unknown in January) then I don't think we'll be adding a midfielder either.

Smith has said numerous times that he wants another winger so I can certainly see us looking in that area, though it might be someone that can also play up top killing two birds with one stone, as we obviously need another forward even if Samatta goes through as planned.

So I'd say another forward and another winger, or a player that can play both roles is most likely, any other positions would depend on outgoings of which I don't expect too many.

• Like 1

No signings or strong links yet this morning? 😲 I would like to think that we can get Samatta and young Barry done today. I would then be satisfied, if we brought in another striker and a wide player. Anything more would be a bonus, anything less, represents a tremendous risk.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Rumours on Twitter this morning are that Slimani will be signed today.

We have 2 hours to get it over the line in order to register him for tomorrow's game. 

Cutting it fine!

I can't see it being done in time to be fair, but imagine the scenes if it is. Regardless of whether you rate Slimani or not it would just be nice to field a striker in the Brighton game!

• Like 2

I'd be surprised if we're even interested in Slimani, never mind signing him today. John Percy saying that we're willing to listen to offers for Lansbury, which might indicate that we're getting one more midfielder, as even with Drinkwater, just him, Hourihane, Luiz and Nakamba would be leaving us a little short.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Would be nice if this was true.

This would be unbelievable if true, but if people think the Piatek move is unlikely, then this one is a virtual impossibility!

2 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

This would be unbelievable if true, but if people think the Piatek move is unlikely, then this one is a virtual impossibility!

It would blow the Darren Bent meltdown moment out of the water. I'm choosing to believe it's definitely going to happen. Welcome Luka.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Yeah although I guess it's more likely players like them would be willing to come here on loan than on a permanent transfer atm.

4 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

It would blow the Darren Bent meltdown moment out of the water. I'm choosing to believe it's definitely going to happen. Welcome Luka.

I can't stress how much I would want this to happen. The logical side of my brain says it's complete garbage, but I can't stress how much I want your optimism to be proved right 😂

• Haha 1

So the current pretty strong active links, which potentially may come through apart from Samatta, are:

- A Player in the Romanian Leagues (Source: Romanian Agent with ties to FCSB)

- Gaston Pereiro from PSV (Source: Himself on radio)

- Islam Slimani on loan (Source: UK Press)