January Transfers 2019/20

sne

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

HV I think it's a little harsh to use that stick to beat DS with - Kodjia looked completely disinterested the last time he came on and none of us know what his attitude is like behind the closed doors of BH.

It was obvious that in the presser that he's off and DS definitely isn't going to miss him (reading between the lines of how he spoke about him.)

Obviously we don't know what's happening behind closed doors, but it's pretty abysmal timing to fall out with the only fit striker right before two relegation six-pointers. I get that sometimes people fall out, but this is what man management is all about. 

On the specific charge about looking disinterested, I would merely note that since then he played against Fulham and turned in a perfectly reasonable performance. 

I don't want to end up being 'Kodjia defender #1' on this forum, and I'm not pretending that he's either without blame or the answer to all our problems. But it seems very much that we're going to play a disastrous formation in a vital match because Smith and Kodjia have fallen out, and that's not good enough. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Hard to take that complaint seriously, when he's also refusing to pick one who's available. 

You don't actually know what's happened. Maybe Kodjia wanted a new contract. Maybe he's refusing to play. Point is, we don't know.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Obviously we don't know what's happening behind closed doors, but it's pretty abysmal timing to fall out with the only fit striker right before two relegation six-pointers. I get that sometimes people fall out, but this is what man management is all about. 

On the specific charge about looking disinterested, I would merely note that since then he played against Fulham and turned in a perfectly reasonable performance. 

I don't want to end up being 'Kodjia defender #1' on this forum, and I'm not pretending that he's either without blame or the answer to all our problems. But it seems very much that we're going to play a disastrous formation in a vital match because Smith and Kodjia have fallen out, and that's not good enough. 

Just reminds me of the Gabby / Remi situation. RG had (rightfully) told Gabby to get fit and dropped him from the squad, but ended having to play him because there was no-one else available. If Kodjia is being a pain in the arse and the decision is that having him around is more trouble than it's worth, then I think we have to support the manger.

I agree that it would be better if it wasn't this way - what really baffles me is that Kodjia isn't young and should surely be desperate to prove himself in the PL. He's never going to have as good of a chance at a bigger club so why is he playing silly buggers? Why wouldn't he go to DS and beg him for a 2nd chance, try and bang in some goals, and then he could leave us with good memories of him?

Edited by TheAuthority
Typing too fast
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

He said no more midfielders either so the N'Zonzi thing might be paper talk (unless DS has been told to not reveal what we want so we don't get held to ransom). 

I think it's going to be Samatta and a loan move for Slimani. That'll be our lot. As for outs: Kodj gone imminently, maybe Celtic come in for Hogan late in the window, West Ham try to loan Kalinic but don't offer anything towards his wages.

West Ham just signed a goalkeeper 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Bournemouth are in huge trouble if they go down, potentially go bust unless automatically come back up. They have spent so much on a lot of crap. Other clubs arent safe either

Ironically its FFP that f*cks it up, you can't have a cash injection nowadays. The game has gone mad, and actually, whilst it remains to be seen, we haven't paid big money for anyone, nor do we seem to be paying incentive style wages and feel we are better placed to whether the storm if we go down (but we might have to sell Jack or Mings).

28 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

All player purchases are a gamble though and it is why transfer prices are going to ultimately ruin football. More and more clubs are leveraging their future as an on-going concern on hugely expensive players who can either get injured, not give their all, not adapt to the league, arent good enough etc. The success that is needed to justify massive outlays on players are becoming more and more crucial. It is such an unsustainable model. 

As @mjmooney once wisely said to me last month when I was worried about a pro tournament I was to captain a side in, "it's just a game."

Which I hope wasn't said to suggest that it lacked importance, rather as a reminder to remember the spirit in which it should be done in.

Transfer prices are not solely going to ruin football. It's ruined any time it loses connection to it's grassroots and primary stakeholders.

The members of the community who are most invested in the development of the game and maintaining good sportsmanship for it are of utmost importance.

Instead it takes for granted the most fundamental reason for it becoming such a success, the people who actually give a sh*t about it all and invest precious time and energy.

The general public already pay a premium for attendance, why now must they endorse and support betting company sponsorship deals like it's in their interest.

It just enables a club to purchase as opposed to develop success, not to mention taking more of the public's hard earned away from them through a facade of enticement.

Team sport is a great teacher for life. The list really could go on beyond the time I have to write about it but to name some of the lessons here:

It introduces rules, boundaries, teamwork, the importance and appreciation for athletic ability in life, mental discipline and focus, respect for everyone adversaries included etc.

Most importantly it offers the ability to see as well as experience failure and weakness as an opportunity to learn and understand yourself and the world, better than you did before.

It shouldn't be that it becomes a commodity before a community initiative.

End rant.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I think if we end up paying for Samatta we won't spend anything like the money discussed for Piatek. It may have been €30m for Piatek plus another loan striker. I don't think a loan and buy in the summer for Piatek makes us attractive to Milan, they need the cash.

Not sure I agree, we know the club doesn’t like loans and we know from the summer we kept saying one or the other on potential signings like Nakamba or Luis and we brought both and the same with defenders.  So I can easily see Piatek and Samatta just as easily as Piatek and a loan.  

Also nobody expected spending as much as we did in the summer, people were saying from the start that expecting to spend 100m was fantasy, we blew past that, then 120m and we blew past that and hit I think 140+m and there were strong rumours that we were in for another striker on or near deadline day which didn’t happen at the end.  So who knows.....

19 hours ago, deeps said:

Tomorrow is massive. We need someone in for the next 2 games as they are huge and could do with with him getting a couple days training with the lads. 

If Kodjia is fit/not ill he has to start on Saturday as we can not afford this false 9 thing again. 

3rd time lucky. Just annoying he cannot play on sat. 

49 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I remember being given similar advice when in the final 3 of the annual West Country Whopping Willy competition.

How many willies did you manage to whop? 

• Haha 1