January Transfers 2019/20

sne

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I'm going to suggest something pretty crazy here - I might have lost the plot.

I think the club knew that we needed another striker to take the heat off Wesley.  Kodjia wasn't working (for whatever reason, performance, fitness, falling out with the manager, who knows...) so we needed to bring in another body.  Samatta was identified as that striker, before January, and so we possibly started negotiating with the club, his agent, whatever about a transfer.  I don't know Genk's position, but they have sold Samatta and Berge at around the same time.  Maybe they were waiting to align transfers or something - again, who knows.

On 1st January, Wesley then suffers an unfortunate and season-ending injury in a game.  All of a sudden, we've gone from having 2 strikers with decent pedigree in the Belgian league, to being reliant on one again.  So, in the worst transfer window possible, we find ourselves needing to find another striker, who won't cost much (due to potential FFP sanctions should the worst happen and we go down) but who is experienced enough to help us out in our survival quest.  No club wants to get rid of their better players this window, so you find possible, short-term players for loan or low fees who might work.  GIroud?  Ooooh, could do.  Got to wait for Chelsea to sort themselves out though.  Oh, they didn't.  He's going nowhere.  ****.  Anyone else? etc.

It's a horrible month to deal with and we got dealt a ridiculous blow right at the start of it.  I believe - despite what John Percy says - that the club will still be trying to bring someone in.  But it has to be the right kind of player, for the right fee, from the right club and that is never going to be an easy task.

So we're here, waiting to see what happens on deadline day and hoping we can land someone half-decent.

Just a crazy theory, though.

I think you're very close. 

And comes back to the mistake made in the summer putting all our faith and spending big on wes. 

8 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

How well do you think we did with this model in our relegation season?

Baring in mind, of course, that those players have subsequently been sold (by other teams) for large fees or moved to big clubs.

Because we're doing better than that team did in that season, and our players are arguably looking better than those players.

Sorry that doesn't make sense? We weren't following this model the season we were relegated , we were on the tail end of the MON pay them what they want so we get the Champions league era paying over inflated wages to over rated players.

21 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’ve made comments before on here about young players, overhyping them to the hills and the majority fall by the wayside. Let’s not put too much pressure on Barry, he’s made a great start by scoring for the u23s but that’s miles off our first team

I never thought I'd see the day. Congratulations SGC you are turning into a wise old sage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rob182 said:

I know you're being difficult, but I'll answer anyway.

It's always worth trying.

But just look at Spurs. Giroud was probably not in their top 5 options for a striker, and yet they've failed to bring him in on deadline day and are looking for 'someone' like us.

So probably not as impossible as you and others are making out  

Difficult? Yes. But we're in the best league in the world and need to stay in it. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I think you're very close. 

And comes back to the mistake made in the summer putting all our faith and spending big on wes. 

I think we thought Kodjia would be reasonable backup, and have been proven wrong.

9 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

January transfers are tough. Unless you can get proven quality or you have fully scouted a player and they have been a long term target it's just not worth it. If you look at our signings, Reina and Drinkwater are proven quality in the premier league. And Sammata has been on the radar for some time. This is the right way to do business. 

I would love it if we snatched Bowen up at the last minute but otherwise there isn't any other business I'd particularly want us to do. 

Has he? Just curious hadn't heard his name mentioned before.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So probably not as impossible as you and others are making out  

Difficult? Yes. But we're in the best league in the world and need to stay in it. 

No-one's made out that it's impossible. Just that it's difficult. Just like I said in the post you quoted. Just as Spurs are finding out.

1 minute ago, villan501 said:

We should of rolled the dice earlier took a risk. Regardless of what may happen if we went down huge cash from jack mcginn and mings to help rebuild im not saying we should of spent 100m this window but having sellable assets we should of had a go and got what we needed and we havent therfore if we dropout of league villa have no one to blame but the management heirachy.If we had zero asseys i could understand but only hope jack will  stay is in prem which without strengthening squad we wont do.

Still a long way to go in the season, and I would suggest that, rather than being likely to go down, even if we do not get any more players this window, we are still more likely to stay up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm going to suggest something pretty crazy here - I might have lost the plot.

I think the club knew that we needed another striker to take the heat off Wesley.  Kodjia wasn't working (for whatever reason, performance, fitness, falling out with the manager, who knows...) so we needed to bring in another body.  Samatta was identified as that striker, before January, and so we possibly started negotiating with the club, his agent, whatever about a transfer.  I don't know Genk's position, but they have sold Samatta and Berge at around the same time.  Maybe they were waiting to align transfers or something - again, who knows.

On 1st January, Wesley then suffers an unfortunate and season-ending injury in a game.  All of a sudden, we've gone from having 2 strikers with decent pedigree in the Belgian league, to being reliant on one again.  So, in the worst transfer window possible, we find ourselves needing to find another striker, who won't cost much (due to potential FFP sanctions should the worst happen and we go down) but who is experienced enough to help us out in our survival quest.  No club wants to get rid of their better players this window, so you find possible, short-term players for loan or low fees who might work.  GIroud?  Ooooh, could do.  Got to wait for Chelsea to sort themselves out though.  Oh, they didn't.  He's going nowhere.  ****.  Anyone else? etc.

It's a horrible month to deal with and we got dealt a ridiculous blow right at the start of it.  I believe - despite what John Percy says - that the club will still be trying to bring someone in.  But it has to be the right kind of player, for the right fee, from the right club and that is never going to be an easy task.

So we're here, waiting to see what happens on deadline day and hoping we can land someone half-decent.

Just a crazy theory, though.

I agree.  I think Samatta was to provide competition to Wes - not to be a new first choice.  I think our interest in Giroud and Slimani was genuine, but things haven't dropped into place for those.  You never know, there may be a last minute loan, but probably further down our list.

I think we are done, and I'm okay with it.

Some people seem to think any signing is better than none but that is not true, bringing in the wrong signing can detrimental both financially and to team moral. There are so many factors involved in a transfer that panic buying is not a position you want to be in.

We've bought what we desperately needed in Reina and Samatta, and had a look around to see if we can find quality/value that fits within our plans elsewhere and it looks like we haven't found it in this market, much the same as many other teams.

We might not have the 'two players for each position' that many seem to crave, the truth is most teams don't have two Premier League quality players for every position, because unless you are in the top 4 it's impossible to keep them all happy. Wolves have played most of the last 2 months with 2 midfielders playing as center backs! You have to make do with what you've got, throwing money at everything doesn't always work.

I expect us to improve this second half of the season as the new players are now bedded in and you can really see the team spirit growing between them, I have faith the players we have right now can get it done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

So who has been a great addition in your opinion bearing in mind the model of recruitment we are following?

I really like Mings Heaton Guilbert Engels Marvelous Luiz Konza, 7 success stories when everything is considered.

Before injury Engels looked like an absolute steel and at times looked like he was holding Mings together. Once he gets back to full fitness he will a nailed on starter, Konza is as good a back up as we could expect for and is the right age but probably a tad over priced.

Mings and Heaton are the only 2 we signed that were proven high quality starters at this level.

There aren't many right backs I'd swap Fred for, love him and he will only get better, an absolute bargain.

Marvelous started well and was looking like a bargain Kante, no idea why he went off a bit but seems to be getting back to a decent level and in todays market he looks like good value.

Douglas Luiz is a bit inconsistent but for his age I'd say he's doing great and there are glimpses of a player that will grow in to a top class, 15m about right.

As for the others, Targett is looking way better in the new system but was pricey in my opinion. Wesley cost too must, we could have spend that kind on money more wisely, however, I cant help thinking there's a player in there and its just the pressure and adjustment to it all that's held him back. Trez is not for me, just not at this standard, tries his heart out and is a lucky MF but nah. Jota and AEG are better players but are the standard we need fighting for a place on the bench and not regular starters.

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

Still a long way to go in the season, and I would suggest that, rather than being likely to go down, even if we do not get any more players this window, we are still more likely to stay up.

Hope your right mate just a huge concern and massive gamble not getting full reinforcments in we need them smith knows this aswell.

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

No-one's made out that it's impossible. Just that it's difficult. Just like I said in the post you quoted. Just as Spurs are finding out.

I could be wrong, but up until today I think there have been 3 strikers signed so far this window by Premier League teams - Samatta and Barry to us and Tosun on loan to Palace from Everton.

Maybe Bergwijn too, but I thought he was more wide-forward type.