January Transfers 2019/20

sne

3 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Sorry that doesn't make sense? We weren't following this model the season we were relegated , we were on the tail end of the MON pay them what they want so we get the Champions league era paying over inflated wages to over rated players.

You know that MON left in 2010 and we got relegated in 2016, right?

We were very much following this 'buy potential, to sell for more and reinvest' model in the relegation season. It was widely reported that we wanted to become self-sustainable (because Randy couldn't keep losing money).

In that season, we did atrociously bad in the league, and I'm sure people with your mindset would have said that Gueye, Amavi, Veretout, Adama et al were bad players that won't succeed or benefit us in the model. As it happens, they didn't, but that was nothing down to the recruitment of those players, it was the recruitment of dross like Lescott and Richards, and the poor management over them all.

This season we're doing better as a team, and you could argue that many of our players are doing better individually too.

I think many of our players have increased in value, and if (big IF) we stay up, their values will increase more, as will their ability in this league.

I don't think we've done enough over the 2 windows. I think we've made a few errors and I hope it doesn't cost us. 

I have faith in our excellent manager, just hope a few limitations don't hold him back and it all goes tits up with relegation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

We were very much following this 'buy potential, to sell for more and reinvest' model in the relegation season. It was widely reported that we wanted to become self-sustainable (because Randy couldn't keep losing money).

In that season, we did atrociously bad in the league, and I'm sure people with your mindset would have said that Gueye, Amavi, Veretout, Adama et al were bad players that won't succeed or benefit us in the model. As it happens, they didn't, but that was nothing down to the recruitment of those players, it was the recruitment of dross like Lescott and Richards, and the poor management over them all.

This season we're doing better as a team, and you could argue that many of our players are doing better individually too.

I think many of our players have increased in value, and if (big IF) we stay up, their values will increase more, as will their ability in this league.

That's not really true. 

While a lot of them have progressed, at that point most were not up to premier league football. Combined with the other dross we signed turned us into the worst team in prem history. 

I would have taken Callum Robinson on loan from Sheffield United if it was as choice between him and nobody, knows the club and is still friends with some of the players including Grealish, can play wide or through the middle, and whilst it hasn't worked out for him at Sheffield United sometimes players don't work out at certain clubs, was very good for Preston in the championship.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

While a lot of them have progressed, at that point most were not up to premier league football. Combined with the other dross we signed turned us into the worst team in prem history. 

3rd worst!  Derby and Sunderland were worse.

One striker in shows the fine margins we get one who has ability then good window well stocked in most areas dont get a striker then samatta and davis fire us to safety. This season hangs in the balance more importantly if zero striker the  grealish needs to stay fit even more than he did before. Will be a huge slog.

Edited by villan501

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:
5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair I think West Ham are a more attractive proposition than villa at this moment in time. Their squad is a lot better than their position suggests and they’ll probably be alright. 

They're an absolute mess from top to bottom.

The manager of my Thursday night football team is a West Ham fan and he way not optimistic to say the least.  He said Sullivan and Gold are 90s owners, that Gold fancies himself as a DoF and that he can spot a player and that too many of their players are there for a final pay cheque and go missing in games.  It did sound like a summary of our final seasons before relegation.

I've been wondering if it might be worth recalling O'Hare, he has more experience of playing as a striker than Vassilev does, and can also offer an extra option out wide or as an attacking midfielder, would be a shame really but ideally we could do with the extra player. Was looking on a Coventry forum and was surprised to see a few of them saying he looks like their best player since Maddison, was surprised as he's not a guaranteed starter for them.

I think we had a huge amount to do when we came up, we gave it a good go in the summer, but had to gamble on players with ability that they would settle in and get up to speed, but knowing this would possibly take longer than desired. We definitely wanted another forward then, as I remember Dean at the time saying we were looking at another forward, and there were active links in those ifnal days, so going in with just Wes wasn't planned, but that final purchase to fill all our needs then couldn't quite be reached.

Our recruitment seems to put a higher premium on value and worth than previous owners, which is fine by me. I hate the panicking that got us McCormack and Hogan for what, £25-30ml combined :o . We've done generally quite well considering the situation, but it has meant some (calculated ) risk-gambling. I want us to get another forward and it's a shame it looks like that's not happening, but the failures to get those players for me are more to do with the difficulties of the environment, the competition being more prepared / more able to pay the premium. 

If we were to go down ( which I have full confidence we won't ) , it wouldn't be down to the isolated instance of  missing out on one or two players now. 

We've got McGinn to come back as another in around a month's time, touch wood, and thanks to the winter break that's only 3 more league games, and the other players are settling into this league now. Plenty of reasons to generally feel optimistic about the second half of the season, even if we aren't able to do as well as we'd want to do in this window. I do think we are stronger than we are at the beginning of the season. The unknowns are now 6 months settled for starters.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Yes fully aware thanks, and those 6 years is probably what it will take for us to get back into the top half of this league if we manage to do it right.