January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Just now, bobzy said:

I don't think anyone is calling that Leicester City side the greatest ever in the Premier League.

True

I think its regarded as one of the greatest title wins though. 

I really don't get the big deal. We had decent resources, we gave huge money in wages to some players and got 17 pts. IMO that's so much worse that the others. 

When is McGinn back? A month and a half or 2 months?

What I'm thinking is he could actually cover or occupy a place in the front 3 in place of either Trez or El Ghazi, Hell, I wouldn't put it past McGinn to be able to cover as Wingback!

Drinkwater should be up to speed also.

Let's be honest, if McGinn was fit during our striker crisis, we really could have even used him as a striker.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Is it? Could you imagine the uproar in here if we signed someone from the second division in China who had failed in Belgium? 

As a bench option so that we at least 1 more striker.

Not sure people would be getting their torches and pitchforks out

Obviously he would not be the first name on any list but that's not really the point

Edited by sne

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

When is McGinn back? A month and a half or 2 months?

What I'm thinking is he could actually cover or occupy a place in the front 3 in place of either Trez or El Ghazi, Hell, I wouldn't put it past McGinn to be able to cover as Wingback!

Drinkwater should be up to speed also.

Let's be honest, if McGinn was fit during our striker crisis, we really could have even used him as a striker.

Think hed be class as a makeshift striker centre halves will know they been in a game

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Crazy. We've just let the defender that's been on our bench last few games leave whereas teams like palace and chelsea keep their squad depth. 

Damn them. We will have to put the defender who wasn't on our bench (who is arguably better), on our bench instead then. You know, the one who has actually played, and played quite well in the premier league this season, versus the one who has 0 minutes under his belt. What on earth were they thinking????

I have no problems with letting Chester go. I wish him all the best and hope he gets to the Euros. He owes us nothing and we owe him a significant debt. Letting him go is the honorable thing to do. Also - think of the issues a pissed off/miserable Chester may cause in the dressing room. Letting him go out on loan is the best decision all round. As others have pointed out, we have plenty of options in this area if we pick up injuries and it will take a significant amount of injuries/bad luck to get to the point where we are stuffed. Yes, it would be nice to bring someone in, but I don't think it is critical.

• Like 1

Without signing a defender and a striker we’re a red card or injury away from a potential crisis.

I’d rather we didn’t take the risk but it looks unlikely we’re going to add to the squad today.

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Damn them. We will have to put the defender who wasn't on our bench (who is arguably better), on our bench instead then. You know, the one who has actually played, and played quite well in the premier league this season, versus the one who has 0 minutes under his belt. What on earth were they thinking????

I have no problems with letting Chester go. I wish him all the best and hope he gets to the Euros. He owes us nothing and we owe him a significant debt. Letting him go is the honorable thing to do. Also - think of the issues a pissed off/miserable Chester may cause in the dressing room. Letting him go out on loan is the best decision all round. As others have pointed out, we have plenty of options in this area if we pick up injuries and it will take a significant amount of injuries/bad luck to get to the point where we are stuffed. Yes, it would be nice to bring someone in, but I don't think it is critical.

Great. Why wasn't he on the bench?

Fingers crossed we don't have any of those injuries, suspensions and players losing form issues you read about. 

8 minutes ago, sne said:

As a bench option so that we at least 1 more striker.

Not sure people would be getting their torches and pitchforks out

Obviously he would not be the first name on any list but that's not really the point

I’d argue that having the likes of Vassilev on the bench would be a better option than the signing Sheffield made.  I think the club are thinking more long term with their transfer dealings than any just papering over cracks

44 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think given the resources over the years we had, our relegation season is easily the worst. 

I actually agree with you.  We fell from a much greater height, so while not statistically the worst side ever, ours was a 'worse' relegation.

(Though Sunderland have stunk the place out quite a few times.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’d argue that having the likes of Vassilev on the bench would be a better option than the signing Sheffield made.  I think the club are thinking more long term with their transfer dealings than any just papering over cracks

Perhaps.

Some of the signings we've made this window says otherwise thou.

I think a 6 month loan like the one Sheffield did would be good as we are woefully thin in certain positions. Obviously it's not that particular player I'd be interested in.