January Transfers 2019/20

sne

I still think there is a chance, and there seems to be deals still worked on but proving difficult to get done.

Slimani still not dead.

Serhou Guirassy has allegedly arrived in the UK today and is being whored around

Bowen stalling at WHU too.

Its been a quiet one all in all. I don't see our relegation rivals being significantly strengthened (more so than we have).

I am going to to open a beer or two later and watch this unfold until midnight, I am convinced there might be drama yet.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Perhaps.

Some of the signings we've made this window says otherwise thou

I’d say the only signing this window that says otherwise is Reina. That to me is understandable, the rest of the team is relatively inexperienced and Smith wanted an experienced vocal GK to cover the injured experienced GK. 

Personally think we would’ve been after Samatta (or similar) irrelevant of the Wesley injury and see him having a big part to play over the next few years. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if the money is right and we stay up that Drinkwater stays with us. Smith’s teams have previously had a fulcrum midfielder who can move the ball about. Last January we signed Carroll (yes we all know how that worked out, but you get the idea). I’m of the opinion that Smith wanted Luiz to do that role, which whilst showing promise, hasn’t done so consistently. Drinkwater can do that role for a couple of years whilst Luiz develops fully. 

13 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

As it stands we're ending the Transfer Window weaker than how we started. This is like a football form of self harm.

Well, no, it's not. That would imply we kneecapped both Heaton and Wesley.

in line with increasing our global appeal (Elmo, Trez, Samatta etc etc), maybe we should pick up Ki Sung-Yeung (MC/DM) on a free now he has been released by Newcastle, might increase our Korean support :P

1 hour ago, villan501 said:

Hope your right mate just a huge concern and massive gamble not getting full reinforcments in we need them smith knows this aswell.

Oh, I agree we could really do with getting another striker at least. It would certainly be less of a gamble than going with what we have. Notwithstanding, I still think we are more likely to stay up with what we have than not.

10 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

No nothing at all apart from defensive pair is working!

McGinn hasn't played in the side since switching to this formation, so I think dismissing the possibility he could add to the team is naive. He could be a revelation in there. Equally it could fall apart. We just don't know.

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’d say the only signing this window that says otherwise is Reina. That to me is understandable, the rest of the team is relatively inexperienced and Smith wanted an experienced vocal GK to cover the injured experienced GK. 

Personally think we would’ve been after Samatta (or similar) irrelevant of the Wesley injury and see him having a big part to play over the next few years. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if the money is right and we stay up that Drinkwater stays with us. Smith’s teams have previously had a fulcrum midfielder who can move the ball about. Last January we signed Carroll (yes we all know how that worked out, but you get the idea). I’m of the opinion that Smith wanted Luiz to do that role, which whilst showing promise, hasn’t done so consistently. Drinkwater can do that role for a couple of years whilst Luiz develops fully. 

Drinkwater is turning 30 in a month and is on £100k/w.

Has had alcohol issues and drunk driving conviction (last year) I'd be pissed if we spent money on him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

1 minute ago, sne said:

Drinkwater is turning 30 in a month and is on £100k/w.

Has had alcohol issues and drunk driving conviction (last year) I'd be pissed if we spent money on him. 

yeah, i dont mind if he helps us stay up, but no way would i sign him permanently.

as sne said, hes 30 soon, no development potential, and im sure "if" we stay up we will look to strengthen in those areas with younger, more scalable players.

• Like 1

what time did deano come out and say "no more deals" in the summer? (didnt he do a press conference late afternoon where he mentioned it?)

Wonder if we will get something similar?

Edited by MaVilla