January Transfers 2019/20

sne

I think we will see louie barry in 1st team due to davis picking up a knock. Rooney and owen started games at a very young age think are hand will be forced to put him in due to zero cover upfront. We need another striker as a matter of urgency. I think tekkers on loan late deal

Edited by villan501

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Why ?

I guess I just don’t have it in me to constantly find things to knock the Club for.

Maybe Smith should’ve just said what everyone says “ if the right player is there and we can do the deal etc etc”....I don’t know. Again, if he chose the wrong words so what ? Maybe he is too honest ? Dunno.

I can’t really work out what to say in a debate where the point of view of some is to have a go at the club without any knowledge of what has been done, who is available, or anything else.

If I had to guess I’d say from the amount of touting around re Giroud we maybe had a sniff, since when he’s been trying all the other better options. Whether that has happened with that player, it’s what happens.

...also, I didn’t say it was impossible.

Well we know we have had 2 windows and can see the state of the squad. 

I love the owners, huge fan of Smith and the players. I don't really see the point in defending every aspect of the club. 

It's possible to be behind them and acknowledge where we think mistakes are being made. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We have, but we needed to anyway.

Now that Wesley is injured, and Kodjia has been sold, we need another.

Oh right, you just reminded me we sold Kodjia when we had no other fit strikers. And now we're going in to the rest of the season with only 2.

Okay, let me just say this again. Selling players when you don't have adequate cover depth in their position is just bad. That's not applying football manager logic, that's just common sense.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

This is a big deal, who ever put this together did a great job, very talented, big future and really would have looked great for us even now.

Adrenaline. Sectarianism. Tomato. Tomatoe

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, we've done that too.  He's only 16.  But we've done that.

Anyone know how good Louie Barry is?  I know sweet **** all about him.  Maybe people think he'd actually be an option off the bench etc this season.  Maybe they don't.

Ah I see. Yeah, I'm not really considering that a first team signing due to his age. If he's good enough then great, suspect it isn't the case though. But who knows!

Just now, DCJonah said:

Well we know we have had 2 windows and can see the state of the squad. 

I love the owners, huge fan of Smith and the squad. I don't really see the point in defending every aspect of the club. 

It's possible to be behind them and acknowledge were we think mistakes are being made. 

Ok as I said earlier I can’t add to what I’ve said.

To have a go at the Club in the absence of any knowledge as to who is available, what efforts have been made, and all the rest, given the huge restructuring that’s been needed, ( and given we have actually spent £30m on strikers)  is something I simply can’t fathom.

I can’t add to that however many times people justify it.

2 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

You can’t make a judgement on someone being a “great” signing after 5 months, or very few can be put in that bracket. 

But you can tell if a player looks to have the potential to be a great signing would you not say Sarr for Watford and Daniel James for manure look really great signings right now? I don't look at any of our summer signings and think **** yes so glad we brought him in everyone else must be kicking themselves for missing that one!

10 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Not sure I agree.

If it’s a striker/ better cover ( third choice behind the 2 you mentioned !) than El Ghazi  people want, he still has to score goals yes ? 
 So a goal scorer. Who is good enough to score the goals we need if he played .....so half a dozen over 12 games is fair enough.

So a goal scorer, Premier League standard, whose Club are happy to let him go, who wants to come, and who is happy to be third choice ? 
I would repeat, such a player may well exist. But may well not. I wouldn’t be attacking the Club for not finding him.

6 in 12 is a very good goal scoring rate. I’d be happy with 1 in 3 or even 1 in 4 if the player is able to contribute with hold up play or working the channels. We just need a “natural” forward who can handle the physicality rather than a makeshift striker.

And I’m certainly not attacking the club. I realise this stuff is a lot harder than fans think, and that there is long term value in not allowing other clubs to rip us off. But I would definitely be disappointed if we failed to find one more striker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Letting Chester go before bringing anyone else in is stupid.

Not signing a winger is stupid.

Not signing another striker is stupid.

All in my honest opinion of course...

I do appreciate it's not an easy thing to do. Though, this window will have to go down as a failure imo, if we don't bring anyone else in. 

Panic signing shite ones, average ones on extortionate wages, or overpaying for any of those in the January transfer window to be stuck with them, would also be stupid to be fair.  IMO

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What if Samatta picks up a knock and we rely on davis?

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I mean an additional striker to Samatta. If Davis picks up another knock for 2 months, can we really just rely on Samatta? 

So we really need 5 more strikers because what happens if we get another one in and HE gets injured in addition to them.  But then number 4 might get injured as well.  

Actually how many games have we got left.?  Need to buy at least 1 striker for each remaining game just in case someone gets injured in each one.

You gotta stop somewhere and give up on the what if's.  We went 3 games with no striker and Citeh aside actually didn't do too badly.  We still have options of El Ghazi, Louie Barry and Vassilev if our ridiculously unlucky injury record continues.  Hell Trez has poached a few as well.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Not sure I agree.

If it’s a striker/ better cover ( third choice behind the 2 you mentioned !) than El Ghazi  people want, he still has to score goals yes ? 
 So a goal scorer. Who is good enough to score the goals we need if he played .....so half a dozen over 12 games is fair enough.

So a goal scorer, Premier League standard, whose Club are happy to let him go, who wants to come, and who is happy to be third choice ? 
I would repeat, such a player may well exist. But may well not. I wouldn’t be attacking the Club for not finding him.

This depends on what your analysis of the reason why we struggled with El Ghazi up front is. 

If the analysis is that that was bad because he looked less likely to score than a striker, then sure, we need a goalscorer. 

If you think the problem was he couldn't lead the line, maintain position, draw defenders out, play with his back to goal etc, then what matters more than a goalscorer is someone with a lot of positional discipline instead. 

I lean more to the second view, but I'm willing to be persuaded to the first if people have arguments for that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, villan501 said:

I think we will see louie barry in 1st team due to davis picking up a knock. Rooney and owen started games at a very young age think are hand will be forced to put him in due to zero cover upfront. We need another striker as a matter of urgency. I think tekkers on loan late deal

Even the likes of Barcelona throw in a kid or two every now and then to be fair.

Also as Deano said, if they are good enough, they have every chance.

Sometimes these unfortunate circumstances can turn into revelations.

Clutching at Jumbo sized straws perhaps.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

So we really need 5 more strikers because what happens if we get another one in and HE gets injured in addition to them.  But then number 4 might get injured as well.  

Actually how many games have we got left.?  Need to buy at least 1 striker for each remaining game just in case someone gets injured in each one.

You gotta stop somewhere and give up on the what if's.  We went 3 games with no striker and Citeh aside actually didn't do too badly.  We still have options of El Ghazi, Louie Barry and Vassilev if our ridiculously unlucky injury record continues.  Hell Trez has poached a few as well.   

How many teams in this league have a group of strikers as weak as us?

Just now, KentVillan said:

6 in 12 is a very good goal scoring rate. I’d be happy with 1 in 3 or even 1 in 4 if the player is able to contribute with hold up play or working the channels. We just need a “natural” forward who can handle the physicality rather than a makeshift striker.

And I’m certainly not attacking the club. I realise this stuff is a lot harder than fans think, and that there is long term value in not allowing other clubs to rip us off. But I would definitely be disappointed if we failed to find one more striker.

I haven’t said you are attacking the Club 🙂

and haven’t disagreed with anyone who says another striker would be useful.

My Post, which I can’t really add to, expressed my views about those who ARE attacking or criticising the Club, or the DOF, given all the things I mentioned.

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

Hmmm... see the agument, but disagree.

We started the season with Wesley, Kodjia and Davis. I thought we needed another striker then in all honesty.

We now have Samatta and Davis. Davis who's incredibly injury prone and Samatta who's completely unknown at this level. I'd feel far more comfortable going into the second half of the season with another striker as I really don't trust Davis to be fit for any extended amount of time. 

22 minutes ago, sne said:

Sheffield U have just managed to sign a striker ( Richairo Zivkovic) on loan from the Chines league.

Should be more deals to be made from there since the league is suspended indefinitely

Graziano Pelle? Although I'm sure I read he was one of the highest paid players in world football. 

6 minutes ago, villan501 said:

I can see your point but could also bloody ruin him getting played at this level too early.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This depends on what your analysis of the reason why we struggled with El Ghazi up front is. 

If the analysis is that that was bad because he looked less likely to score than a striker, then sure, we need a goalscorer. 

If you think the problem was he couldn't lead the line, maintain position, draw defenders out, play with his back to goal etc, then what matters more than a goalscorer is someone with a lot of positional discipline instead. 

I lean more to the second view, but I'm willing to be persuaded to the first if people have arguments for that. 

Fair enough.

None of which alters my view on the criticisms of the Club over the failure to get such a player.