January Transfers 2019/20

sne

I think where we’ve missed out, is in not appointing Barry Fry as an advisor. We’d have had half a dozen strikers by midday on 1st Jan and by now we’d be looking to get the final couple of deals over the line to bring our January signings up to 50. And we’d have got the whole lot for under a million quid, lovely jubbley!!

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Think we were all expecting/hoping we'd do more than just keep the status quo with our signings. If that even.

Reina is probably a like for like signing to Heaton. Samatta is hopefully better than Wesley but Drinkwater in his current state is miles away from McGinn.

I think we needed to improve, not just stand still to stay in the league and I'm not sure we have.

Fully get that it's difficult and that we can't just throw money around but it's disappointing if this is the squad we go into the rest of the season with.

Just has to hope that the wheels truly have come off at West Ham or Watford or that Brighton continue to give away late points.

Agree with what you are saying surely you should aim to improve your team at every transfer window granted mainly in the summer, but make improvements in weak areas in January if possible. Other than improving on Wesley which in all fairness is not difficult we haven't (yet) improved the team. Sure the injuries have dictated what we have needed to address but we shouldn't be reliant on other teams poor form to keep us in this league just doesn't bode well for the future.

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Not bringing someone else is a **** up.

We're not in an easy position. But we have to deal with it somehow, and leaving this window with just a single senior striker, again new to the league, is a major gamble.

I agree to an extent - though I'm not sure which striker, not new the Premier League and not a gamble, is out there waiting to be snapped up.

12 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Depends on what you read, but I've seen £14m +£8m add ons. But its probably 5 yrs at £50Kp.w. too, they are desperate, and their salaries are out of control.

And they have heaps more money than us! 

Just now, PieFacE said:

Let's be honest, Davis is not going to see out the rest of the season without an injury. I'd be surprised if he's fit for the next 5 games. Bringing in another striker is a must.

We have brought in another striker.  No idea how good he is or anything, but we have done that.

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Let's be honest, Davis is not going to see out the rest of the season without an injury. I'd be surprised if he's fit for the next 5 games. Bringing in another striker is a must.

Even Davis fit. I'm not convinced he's a prem player. 

Just now, bobzy said:

We have brought in another striker.  No idea how good he is or anything, but we have done that.

I mean an additional striker to Samatta. If Davis picks up another knock for 2 months, can we really just rely on Samatta? 

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I agree to an extent - though I'm not sure which striker, not new the Premier League and not a gamble, is out there waiting to be snapped up.

And would be willing to sit on our bench behind our other new striker. 

Just now, PieFacE said:

I mean an additional striker to Samatta. If Davis picks up another knock for 2 months, can we really just rely on Samatta? 

Yeah, we've done that too.  He's only 16.  But we've done that.

Anyone know how good Louie Barry is?  I know sweet **** all about him.  Maybe people think he'd actually be an option off the bench etc this season.  Maybe they don't.

Just now, bobzy said:

Yeah, we've done that too.  He's only 16.  But we've done that.

Anyone know how good Louie Barry is?  I know sweet **** all about him.  Maybe people think he'd actually be an option off the bench etc this season.  Maybe they don't.

Smith said he is a signing for the u23 team

Just now, DCJonah said:

But then surprising the club were so open about wanting another striker if it was such an impossible task.

Why ?

I guess I just don’t have it in me to constantly find things to knock the Club for.

Maybe Smith should’ve just said what everyone says “ if the right player is there and we can do the deal etc etc”....I don’t know. Again, if he chose the wrong words so what ? Maybe he is too honest ? Dunno.

I can’t really work out what to say in a debate where the point of view of some is to have a go at the club without any knowledge of what has been done, who is available, or anything else.

If I had to guess I’d say from the amount of touting around re Giroud we maybe had a sniff, since when he’s been trying all the other better options. Whether that has happened with that player, it’s what happens.

...also, I didn’t say it was impossible.

7 minutes ago, sne said:

It's a 6 month loan to add competition for places.

Sure he is better than no one at all.

I'm sure, though it's puzzling why they need 'competition for places' when they already have 5 strikers named in their 25 man squad.