January Transfers 2019/20

sne

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't mean to "rely on" mate... I mean someone to come off the bench every now and then.

Rooney was 16 weren't he?

Barcelona have a 16 year old who does well for them also,

I’ve made comments before on here about young players, overhyping them to the hills and the majority fall by the wayside. Let’s not put too much pressure on Barry, he’s made a great start by scoring for the u23s but that’s miles off our first team

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll be disappointed if we don’t make any further signings and we will be in trouble if we get any further injuries - we really need options and cover to give ourselves the best chance but...

how about we wait until the end of the day before being too reactionary?

Entirely possible we end up completing a deal or two, who knows what’s going on at the club or behind the scenes?

Fingers crossed anyway.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

You said

That seemed to imply that we're not doing what we set out to

As I said I have never said we are failing, I simply asked the question of other posters who they think are potentially those players and no one has yet come up with any real answers but seem to think we are generally doing OK all things considered. Unless we are successful with this new 'model' we will remain a very much bottom third team simple as that we will not be able to push on.

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s 16 years old, I think it would be foolish to be relied upon in our first team at that age, regardless of how good he is

Smith has said he's one of the Academy. Hone his skills, learn his trade and develop properly. I'd be surprised if we see him at all next season, never mind this one.

We definitely need another striker, it's just whether we are able to get one. Half the league need a striker and I can't see us going for someone else unproven. A last gasp effort for Benteke (not out of sentimentality but because he's about the only option for a proven scorer left) will be about it IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Everyone seemed to agree we needed a striker before Wes got injured. 

But if we were to bring in a 'Wesley' quality striker now would that make anyone happier?

We needed a new striker to replace Wesley. That's still happened.

It's not ideal to not bring in another option, but given the January market, signings seem hard to come by. I can also imagine it's quite difficult to find a decent loan option too...

"Dear Top 10 Prem Teams (because anyone from 11th down could still be pulled into the scrap), Championship sides and other teams around the world, we're looking for a forward to be backup to our new striker Samatta, and possibly our youngster Davis, depending on how well he plays... do you have anyone, that you currently don't want, but is still a good player, ideally who has a bit of Premier League experience, that we could loan for 6 months? If he doesn't get a game then we won't have increased his value for you AT ALL, but we'll be able to save you a little bit of money on wages.... but, we should stress, we do mean a little bit, because we've had to bring in replacements for our main goalkeeper, midfielder and striker already. If you can make this dream come true for one lucky striker (and Aston Villa), please respond. Yours sincerely, Suso & the lads"

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

I’ll be disappointed if we don’t make any further signings and we will be in trouble if we get any further injuries - we really need options and cover to give ourselves the best chance but...

how about we wait until the end of the day before being too reactionary?

Entirely possible we end up completing a deal or two, who knows what’s going on at the club or behind the scenes?

Fingers crossed anyway.

You’re right that we should wait, but John Percy has been very reliable with ITK gossip, which is why people are panicking.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well there you go then. I can't get my head around the mindset of everything is always great because it's my club. Really strange.

I didn’t say everything is always great though did I ? Just like I didn’t say a player was impossible.

Dont you think debates are better when we leave out the hyperbole ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

But if we were to bring in a 'Wesley' quality striker now would that make anyone happier?

It's not ideal to not bring in another option, but given the January market, signings seem hard to come by. I can also imagine it's quite difficult to find a decent loan option too...

"Dear Top 10 Prem Teams (because anyone from 11th down could still be pulled into the scrap), Championship sides and other teams around the world, we're looking for a forward to be backup to our new striker Samatta, and possibly our youngster Davis, depending on how well he plays... do you have anyone, that you currently don't want, but is still a good player, ideally who has a bit of Premier League experience, that we could loan for 6 months? If he doesn't get a game then we won't have increased his value for you AT ALL, but we'll be able to save you a little bit of money on wages.... but, we should stress, we do mean a little bit, because we've had to bring in replacements for our main goalkeeper, midfielder and striker already. If you can make this dream come true for one lucky striker (and Aston Villa), please respond. Yours sincerely, Suso & the lads"

Makes you wonder why the club even bothered trying then.

Just now, DCJonah said:

Well there you go then. I can't get my head around the mindset of everything is always great because it's my club. Really strange.

Its not great.....winning the league would be great.

But we have improved due to the players signed in the summer window it is clear to see and whilst the jury is out on the new January signings I agree the attitude of someone who cant see the improvement that the new players have made to our squad  is stranger?

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I can’t decide to be happy or not with our transfers based on whether we get enough points to stay up.

Many reasons, too many really.

But to take just one.

I’m sick and tired of following a Club that lives one Season to the next. Sick and tired of stop gap players, last pay day players, random players. Sick and tired of starting again, then again, then again.

So One - one - of the reasons I’d be happy is because I see sense in the signings. A plan, of sorts. Imperfect, but it’s there.

Another is that we would definitely have gone down without our transfer business. So it’s put us in the game. For a newly promoted team I can’t ask for more than that.

Another is I won’t criticise something about which I have no knowledge of fault on anyone’s behalf.

So there’s a few reasons 🙂

What do you think happens if we go down and lose Mings, McGinn, Grealish etc..

31 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Let's be honest, Davis is not going to see out the rest of the season without an injury. I'd be surprised if he's fit for the next 5 games. Bringing in another striker is a must.

Yeah, we really can’t rely on Davis. He seems to be injured more often than not!

Let’s see what happens, can never rule out any last minute drama/activity on blasted deadline day!

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Hell no. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I didn’t say everything is always great though did I ? Just like I didn’t say a player was impossible.

Dont you think debates are better when we leave out the hyperbole ?

You said incredibly happy no matter what happens. I don't think its hyperbole to associate 'incredibly happy' with 'great'

18 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Ok thought I had missed a Dean Smith interview or something concrete from the club

Nah still all up in the air.

Did read DS will do a reveal all on Saturday on who we were in for though, that would be very interesting to hear.

27 minutes ago, villan501 said:

I think we will see louie barry in 1st team due to davis picking up a knock. Rooney and owen started games at a very young age think are hand will be forced to put him in due to zero cover upfront. We need another striker as a matter of urgency. I think tekkers on loan late deal

I think we'll see Louie sooner as Davis can't hit a barn door. For all his spritelyness his finishing is atrocious.