January Transfers 2019/20

sne

I cant help but wonder why we had to wait 2 weeks to sign Samatta. Maybe another deal or 2 fell through and he was next in line? I still think another striker is being lined up. One that we will have to wait to the last minute for.

7 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

All player purchases are a gamble though and it is why transfer prices are going to ultimately ruin football. More and more clubs are leveraging their future as an on-going concern on hugely expensive players who can either get injured, not give their all, not adapt to the league, arent good enough etc. The success that is needed to justify massive outlays on players are becoming more and more crucial. It is such an unsustainable model. 

Bournemouth are in huge trouble if they go down, potentially go bust unless automatically come back up. They have spent so much on a lot of crap. Other clubs arent safe either

8 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

All player purchases are a gamble though and it is why transfer prices are going to ultimately ruin football. More and more clubs are leveraging their future as an on-going concern on hugely expensive players who can either get injured, not give their all, not adapt to the league, arent good enough etc. The success that is needed to justify massive outlays on players are becoming more and more crucial. It is such an unsustainable model. 

Whilst i agree with that, whats the alternative?  Be happy to play in the Championship for the next 10 years for it to come crumbling down?  Even when it does there will be 6 clubs who it wont affect and who will be miles ahead and will never be caught.

Smith confirming again in his press conference that we want more than one striker, says ' Suso's working very hard every day, whether we have one for Saturday I am not quite sure but we are getting closer. '

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I cant help but wonder why we had to wait 2 weeks to sign Samatta. Maybe another deal or 2 fell through and he was next in line? I still think another striker is being lined up. One that we will have to wait to the last minute for.

Maybe we didnt? Could have been sorted 2 weeks back with a work permit deal holding it up.

Truth is we wont know, so we cant waste too much time over it.

10 minutes ago, useless said:

Smith confirming again in his press conference that we want more than one striker, says ' Suso's working very hard every day, whether we have one for Saturday I am not quite sure but we are getting closer. '

Yeah,  I bet he's just left his jacket on the back of his chair whilst he's gone down the pub.

• Haha 4

I like the sound of the Samatta transfer - if it happens.  Basically approaching his peak (next 2-3 years), plenty of games under his belt and a good goal scoring record albeit it lesser leagues.  At £8.5m, it's the kind of risk worth taking as he could end up being a bargain but, if not, it doesn't ruin us.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, useless said:

Cant see any press conference, where did you see this?

From what I read about that presser, I don't think DS is particularly happy with how long it's taking. While he's being obsequious and respectful, maybe I'm reading too much into a throw away line:

'I’m calm and confident we will get players, for sure, but we have big games and, if we don’t get one in by Saturday, it’ll be the third in row without recognised striker.'

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-mbwana-samatta-17579474

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

From what I read about that presser, I don't think DS is particularly happy with how long it's taking. While he's being obsequious and respectful, maybe I'm reading too much into a throw away line:

'I’m calm and confident we will get players, for sure, but we have big games and, if we don’t get one in by Saturday, it’ll be the third in row without recognised striker.'

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-mbwana-samatta-17579474

He's definitely pissed off. It's his job on the line at the end of the day. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Tough ask that. Coming into a league and expecting a 20 goal return in a relegation fighting side. Can't see it. 6 goals is probably decent enough. 7 and I would be well pleased. Hopefully he's a catalyst to get our other players to deliver more as well. 

I've seen some people say he runs around a lot, and that's exactly what we need after 6 months of slow arse Wesley. 

Didn’t Wesley score 6 for us in half a season?

Just now, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

From reading that I think it's fair to say he's frustrated, I'm sure everybody is. I think the toys are very much staying in the pram though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Hard to take that complaint seriously, when he's also refusing to pick one who's available. 

HV I think it's a little harsh to use that stick to beat DS with - Kodjia looked completely disinterested the last time he came on and none of us know what his attitude is like behind the closed doors of BH.

It was obvious that in the presser that he's off and DS definitely isn't going to miss him (reading between the lines of how he spoke about him.)

• Like 3

He said no more midfielders either so the N'Zonzi thing might be paper talk (unless DS has been told to not reveal what we want so we don't get held to ransom). 

I think it's going to be Samatta and a loan move for Slimani. That'll be our lot. As for outs: Kodj gone imminently, maybe Celtic come in for Hogan late in the window, West Ham try to loan Kalinic but don't offer anything towards his wages.

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

My feeling is he's not that keen and we are last resort, but also the only ones offering the right cash. So it will come down to the last few days and whether others up their offer - might still happen but unlikely.

I think if we end up paying for Samatta we won't spend anything like the money discussed for Piatek. It may have been €30m for Piatek plus another loan striker. I don't think a loan and buy in the summer for Piatek makes us attractive to Milan, they need the cash.