Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

He tries his best, works hard and has a good attitude, but he was scouted when we were in the Championship and brought when we could get our first choice. Three seasons on in the PL, £300M(?) spent, and we still need to rely on him in midfield, that's really bad. He simply isn't good enough. If we want someone just to run and harass we could as well have kept Yacouba Sylla. 

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 3

Just now, Keener window-cleaner said:

He tries his best, works hard and has a good attitude, but he was scouted when we were in the Championship and brought as cover when we could get our first choice. Three seasons on in the PL, £300M(?) spent, and we still need to rely on him in midfield, that's really bad. He simply isn't good enough. If we want someone just to run and harass we could as well have kept Yacouba Sylla. 

Yeah it's not his fault. He'd be a useful player in the Championship, and probably a cult hero for his attitude and workrate.

But shouldn't be starting games in the Premier League.

Having said that, one ball he hit out to Leon Bailey in the second half was absolute class.

• Like 1

I don't think he's good enough to be playing for us and like most footballers I'm sure he wants regular playing time. If we played a 4-3-3 I can see him being used in games where we are unlikely to have much of the ball but for him to be rolled out next to McGinn in a 4-2-3-1 and expect that to work, madness. 

I can't fault his effort though and while he has improved over the last year he's 28 soon, can't have him blocking a path of a potential youth player IMO.

Edited by AndyM3000

To be honest I think he's one of the very few to come out of the game with any credit in the bank. Won the ball back several times and wasn't anywhere near as sloppy with it as he can be.

It says a lot when nakamba is one of your best players though...

• Like 1

Might have been more effective if he had a midfield partner that actually got on the ball with him.

Honestly he was the least of our problems. He nips the ball and passes it 5 yards to the nearest player. That's his job. He did it.

Not his fault half the more "talented" players couldn't pass wind.

I'd start him over McGinn tbh. He has at least some level of composure on the ball and understanding to keep it.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Have a slight feeling Gerrard will like his workrate and effort and will play him weekly

Wouldn't be worse than playing McGinn as a DM. Nakamba alongside Luiz I can get on board with until we get better.

He's still the best player we have at breaking up opposition moves.  It's a shame he is also the best at breaking down our own but with Luiz next to him I think that becomes less of a problem.

off topic: McGinn as the ACM.

Bailey left. Buendia right.

Ramsey is a great player with lots of potential, but not sure where he's best played. Think he's a super sub for any of the midfield 3 depending on what we need from the game. 

Edited by MrBlack

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Have a slight feeling Gerrard will like his workrate and effort and will play him weekly

If what I've read about how Gerrard sets up his teams, either with one DM or a double pivot, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the opposite.

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If what I've read about how Gerrard sets up his teams, either with one DM or a double pivot, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the opposite.

maybe I just remember Gerrard the player he always had a Mascherano, Hamann next to him so just imagine he appreciates that type of player.

Before somebody mentions it I am well aware they are much better than Marv

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

maybe I just remember Gerrard the player he always had a Mascherano, Hamann next to him so just imagine he appreciates that type of player.

Before somebody mentions it I am well aware they are much better than Marv

Everything I've read suggests he prefers technical players in his midfield, which does not include Marvelous Nakamba

• Like 1

Â