Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

12 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

It’s funny but this is the exact point I made to my dad this morning. He’s not spectacular or controlling games, but he’s gone from a 3/10 on the ball to a 5/10 or 6/10 on the ball and he almost looks like a new player.

Agree with this. You can see how much he is improving.

I have never seen Nakamba take a statistically significant number of penalties to offer any sensible opinion on this.

In general 4 out 5 penalties result in a goal. Yesterday 3.5 out 5 penalties succeeded at Stamford Bridge. If we throw the in QPR/Everton penalties into the mix it's 22/26 penalty goals ... 4.2 goals out of 5. I can't wait for the melt down for when El Ghazi fails to score from a penalty.

Nakamba's penalty was not bad, nor was it a riskier perfect shot either.  I would argue it was way better than El Ghazi's penalty against Barrow.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Yeah I saw his apology on Insta and felt really bad for the guy. Saw that he'd disabled comments too and felt even worse. How bad must the abuse be that they have to do that?

The guy doesn't need to apologise for having the balls to step up and take a pen.

Didn't he disable his account after a bad cup game last year (so did El Ghazi)? He probably had flashbacks.

11 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

I have never seen Nakamba take a statistically significant number of penalties to offer any sensible opinion on this.

In general 4 out 5 penalties result in a goal. Yesterday 3.5 out 5 penalties succeeded at Stamford Bridge. If we throw the in QPR/Everton penalties into the mix it's 22/26 penalty goals ... 4.2 goals out of 5. I can't wait for the melt down for when El Ghazi fails to score from a penalty.

Nakamba's penalty was not bad, nor was it a riskier perfect shot either.  I would argue it was way better than El Ghazi's penalty against Barrow.

You could quite easily argue the only 'bad' penalty from a Villa player was Young, as he didn't hit the target. If you hit the target and hit the ball with anywhere near enough power for it to go in, you've done your job. Nakamba did this. Unfortunately Kepa also did his job. That's just how it goes sometimes.

17 hours ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Marv is such a likeable character, I feel like I want to give him a hug after yesterday.

I really hope he gets some decent game time and shows what he’s capable of this season.

I think its great to see an unfancied player, suddenly win everyone over.....I love this type of thing.

We've got Hause doing it too.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Him and Hause doing a one-two around a Chelsea forward is my season highlight already 

Players who seemed like 2 of the most clumsy and unskilled players ever when we first got them.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Players which seems like 2 of the most clumsy and unskilled players ever when we first got them.

I still recognised the defensive abilities they had....despite having reservations about their ball control.

am I getting ahead of myself?, or is the work with the new coaches already showing dividends.

These 2 boys look more comfortable on the ball lately, to what they did.

I have always been happy with Kortney in the air, probably the best  aerial technician at the club.

Its just great to see the improvement.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The problem for Nakamba is that he is given no leeway on here by some who decided a long time ago he was shit. He can play well in games and it gets ignored on here but anything seen as below par is suddenly jumped on and highlighted. Sadly this is not the first time that potentially good players have been rubbished on here and at Villa park. Hopefully he will move on and have a good career at a club where he is allowed to develop without constant criticism.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smg said:

The problem for Nakamba is that he is given no leeway on here by some who decided a long time ago he was shit. He can play well in games and it gets ignored on here but anything seen as below par is suddenly jumped on and highlighted. Sadly this is not the first time that potentially good players have been rubbished on here and at Villa park. Hopefully he will move on and have a good career at a club where he is allowed to develop without constant criticism.

I think it’s a bit different with Marv than say Veretout or whoever.

Marv is 27, this is his third season here, we’ve seen quite a lot of him. He’s done nothing to suggest he’ll ever be a top player.

On a good day, his off the ball work is class, and he manages to lay the ball off quickly to the technical players. But there’s the problem: we’re delighted when he manages to find feet with a pass because we know this is a challenge for him.

You only have to watch him in the warm up to see he’s technically miles behind the rest of the squad, and his peak performance in possession is normal for his teammates. That isn’t a long term option in a Premier League side.

So no I don’t think he’s shit, and I like him, but he needs replacing eventually.

• Like 1

Don't really get why people think they can't criticise Nakamba.

He's not a bad player, but he's not a great player; he's pretty average and that's not what we need if we are competing for Europe.

In his defence when he starts games he generally plays fairly well; but from the bench its a tough position to come into cold.

We should have signed a DM in the Summer as we were all calling for; and unfortunately it's now becoming glaringly obvious.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smg said:

Just look at the hate and bile Anwar, Traore and even Sanson gets. Some people just decide they don't like the look of a player and then go all in on criticising them on here whenever they get the chance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think it’s a bit different with Marv than say Veretout or whoever.

Marv is 27, this is his third season here, we’ve seen quite a lot of him. He’s done nothing to suggest he’ll ever be a top player.

On a good day, his off the ball work is class, and he manages to lay the ball off quickly to the technical players. But there’s the problem: we’re delighted when he manages to find feet with a pass because we know this is a challenge for him.

You only have to watch him in the warm up to see he’s technically miles behind the rest of the squad, and his peak performance in possession is normal for his teammates. That isn’t a long term option in a Premier League side.

So no I don’t think he’s shit, and I like him, but he needs replacing eventually.

Probably agree with long term view but at present he is a decent back up that gets unfairly criticised because people make their minds up and won’t budge

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Don't really get why people think they can't criticise Nakamba.

He's not a bad player, but he's not a great player; he's pretty average and that's not what we need if we are competing for Europe.

In his defence when he starts games he generally plays fairly well; but from the bench its a tough position to come into cold.

We should have signed a DM in the Summer as we were all calling for; and unfortunately it's now becoming glaringly obvious.

I never really understood the Sanson signing.....that should have been a DM in my thinking.

We may get around to it eventually, but thats not strategic planning, thats having the obvious forced on you and reacting.

so we have a squad of 25 and one recognised Defensive midfielder, who is inconsistent, bless him.

He's a little like Kourtney hause. Ok to be used in the very short term in emergency situations.

2-0 up against Wolves and Luiz having played 36 hours earlier isn't reason enough for Nkamba to get on the pitch IMO.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I never really understood the Sanson signing.....that should have been a DM in my thinking.

We may get around to it eventually, but thats not strategic planning, thats having the obvious forced on you and reacting.

so we have a squad of 25 and one recognised Defensive midfielder, who is inconsistent, bless him.

I really think with Sanson we seen a player previously priced at £30m available for £15m and rushed headlong into it.

He'd only just returned from injury when we brought him. Good chance we didn't do our homework.

Â