Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This supposes the quality of those passes doesn't matter. 

What do you mean by quality? A pass is either successful or it isn't?

I totally get that he is limited as a player and agree, but I think he is pretty bloody good at his job, which is break up the play, be a nuisance and keep it simple.

Edited by Rossco76

4 minutes ago, Rossco76 said:

If I boot the ball at your face from 5 yards and you aren't able to move out of the way in time, technically yeah, the pass is completed. Obviously I am exaggerating for effect, but to claim all completed passes are of equal value is to strip the game of it's soul.

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If I boot the ball at your face from 5 yards and you aren't able to move out of the way in time, technically yeah, the pass is completed. Obviously I am exaggerating for effect, but to claim all completed passes are of equal value is to strip the game of it's soul.

Fair enough. There were a couple of times I remember in the game where Nakamba is stretching to recover/make the pass with a team mate next to him that really should have taken control of the ball instead, JJ was the main one that sticks in my memory.

My main point was in opposition to AV82's post claiming that he's not good enough for the premier league. I think he is.

Edited by Rossco76

If you look into Nakamba's passing stats the accuracy % is about the only thing about them that isn't poor at best. It's fair to say he's a likeable player that offers something to the squad but is just far too limited to be playing regularly in midfield for a side with aspirations of a certain level.

20 minutes ago, Indigo said:

If you look into Nakamba's passing stats the accuracy % is about the only thing about them that isn't poor at best. It's fair to say he's a likeable player that offers something to the squad but is just far too limited to be playing regularly in midfield for a side with aspirations of a certain level.

Wasn't Nakambas pass rate like 96% at Brighton, that's some doing that is..

Stats mean absolutely nothing when you take the easy option instead of the correct one. Nakamba's passing stats get skewed because of this. Fair enough he only plays what he sees but imo, he doesn't see very much. He passes into dangerous areas, as others have said, his weight of pass leaves a lot to be desired. The most telling thing for me though is, he doesn't see space as an area to play into. Everything is to feet even in quick transition rather than into space. I think its the main reason why most of his passes looked stretched or stretch others. Players are continually readjusting to accept the pass. 

Just now, avfc1982am said:

Stats mean absolutely nothing when you take the easy option instead of the correct one. Nakamba's passing stats get skewed because of this. Fair enough he only plays what he sees but imo, he doesn't see very much. He passes into dangerous areas, as others have said, his weight of pass leaves a lot to be desired. The most telling thing for me though is, he doesn't see space as an area to play into. Everything is to feet even in quick transition rather than into space. I think its the main reason why most of his passes looked stretched or stretch others. Players are continually readjusting to accept the pass. 

Exactly. De Bruyne pass completion rate is relatively poor but a blind man could see that he is a better passer of the ball than Nakamba.

On 20/11/2021 at 18:38, Peter Griffin said:

Nakamba wasn't too bad today. I think he often gets a little hard done by in post match comments. Reading the Norwich forum and they are all crying out for a DM. I wonder would Deano come in with a loan to buy offer which could enable Gerrard to get an upgrade

Not a bad shout. 

If Deano wants to offer us £15m which he's easily worth with the number of PL games under his belt, we only need add another £15m and we've a budget of £30m which will buy you a lot of midfielder in any league outside of the PL. 

We might even get £20m, it's hard to judge PL to PL transfer values these days. £35m gets you a very good player indeed. 

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Not a bad shout. 

If Deano wants to offer us £15m which he's easily worth with the number of PL games under his belt, we only need add another £15m and we've a budget of £30m which will buy you a lot of midfielder in any league outside of the PL. 

We might even get £20m, it's hard to judge PL to PL transfer values these days. £35m gets you a very good player indeed. 

Unless they're wingers we buy! (Yes, I'm very unconvinced by our summer window)

Edited by Rolta

18 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

True, but the issue is, we aspire for higher. (Owners and Board )

We can only do that, with players good enough for, or with the potential to get to that next level.

Yea I get that and he will be moved on but for now I think he is good enough to do a job for us till the end of the season. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Stats mean absolutely nothing when you take the easy option instead of the correct one. 

Even then they have limited value. Football isn't a game that can be measured well by statistics. I don't need to see any stats about nakamba  to know he belongs back in Belgium with the rest of Suso's second rate signings.

Edited by villa89

Nakamba is really good.

The problem is that in order to stand out in his position he needs to be flawless. He is the last man in front of the defence, so any poor touch or poor pass will really expose him. I don't think he is there yet, and can make an odd mistake. 

But I like him - I think Luiz is a better player, but Nakamba is a good player to have to rotate. 

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Even then they have limited value. Football isn't a game that can be measured well by statistics.

to be fair, its a game that can be measured well by statistics, but those statistics can only be used as part of a more wholistic approach (usually), which includes scouting, actually watching the player etc, as well as many other things.

As is prevalent in this thread, a 96% pass success rate is a meaningless statistic in of itself, unless you factor in all sorts of variables, like position, pass type, pass range, difficulty of pass, desired outcome of these passes etc etc etc.

10 hours ago, Rossco76 said:

I totally get that he is limited as a player and agree, but I think he is pretty bloody good at his job, which is break up the play, be a nuisance and keep it simple.

Would you not swap him for Bissouma?

That is what we are talking about - trying to replace Marv with a player that can take us to the next level. Not saying that he wouldn't be a decent squad player although I think Iroegbunam might be ready for that spot next season?

96% passing accuracy 

10 recoveries

Nakamba was good against Brighton, I like him. Again like the other midfielders he will learn a great deal from Gerrard and MacAllister, the onus is on them to improve with the information they are given.

Perhaps not good enough for a top ten or a top eight team but at the moment we are where we are.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TRO said:
Greatest Ever: Football's Top 10 Defensive Midfielders of All Time
  1. Lothar Matthaus (GER)
  2. Frank Rijkaard (NED) ...
  3. Roy Keane (IRE) ...
  4. Claude Makelele (FRA) ...
  5. Patrick Vieira (FRA) ...
  6. Didier Deschamps (FRA) ...
  7. Edgar Davids (NED) ...
  8. Graeme Souness (SCO) ...
  9. Dunga (Bra)...
  10. Diego Simeone (Arg)...

Where did you dig up that nonsensical list from?

It's all subjective, of course, but Makelele is widely regarded as the best to play the position. He's certainly the best I've seen.

Â