Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

21 hours ago, Beastmix said:

Makelele was the greatest to ever play DM. There's a reason they still call it the Makelele position.

A case for Marv though. Loves a tackle and always gives 100% for the shirt. He has absolutely zero on the ball intelligence/ability and what he has isn't really enough, granted, but I've a lot of respect for the effort.

I'm sure we'll buy somebody in January who'll supplant both him AND Luiz. Somebody who can do more than just tackle and give 100%. I'd have no issue with him being used in the cups or from the bench though, especially against more robust lower league clubs or sh*thouses like Burnley.

Greatest Ever: Football's Top 10 Defensive Midfielders of All Time
  1. Lothar Matthaus (GER)
  2. Frank Rijkaard (NED) ...
  3. Roy Keane (IRE) ...
  4. Claude Makelele (FRA) ...
  5. Patrick Vieira (FRA) ...
  6. Didier Deschamps (FRA) ...
  7. Edgar Davids (NED) ...
  8. Graeme Souness (SCO) ...
  9. Dunga (Bra)...
  10. Diego Simeone (Arg)...
Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, TRO said:
Greatest Ever: Football's Top 10 Defensive Midfielders of All Time
  1. Lothar Matthaus (GER)
  2. Frank Rijkaard (NED) ...
  3. Roy Keane (IRE) ...
  4. Claude Makelele (FRA) ...
  5. Patrick Vieira (FRA) ...
  6. Didier Deschamps (FRA) ...
  7. Edgar Davids (NED) ...
  8. Graeme Souness (SCO) ...

Unless you mistakenly put your headline in octal and list in base 10, you're missing a couple.

• Thanks 1

Not a fan of listing and comparing players from different eras. How do you compare a guy who played in the 50's or 70's to someone playing now. It's a totally different sport when it comes to technique, pace and the quality of pitches and so on.

35 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Unless you mistakenly put your headline in octal and list in base 10, you're missing a couple.

Oops, yeah, just copied it off the net...corrected now, thanks.

Edited by TRO

24 minutes ago, sne said:

Not a fan of listing and comparing players from different eras. How do you compare a guy who played in the 50's or 70's to someone playing now. It's a totally different sport when it comes to technique, pace and the quality of pitches and so on.

but they are being compared with players of their own era........not era to era....because you would be right, its hard to compare due to so many varying factors.

My understanding is,it's how much a player dominates the era they are from.

Criticising him after Saturday seems so odd to me. I thought he played well, and his role in the goal, staying calm and completing a nice pass doesn't seem to have been mentioned by many.

Maybe it's because I was willing everyone on on Saturday that I didn't notice too many negatives, but I thought he played well 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zero7 said:

He never appears to have the ball under control, always seems to be stretching or off balance, can't fault his effort though. 

Yes. I found myself holding my breath a number of times yesterday.

I love his effort, and name, but I feel we need a definite upgrade in there - I think we would have mullered Brighton on Saturday if we could have swapped Marv for Bissouma??

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TRO said:

but they are being compared with players of their own era........not era to era....because you would be right, its hard to compare due to so many varying factors.

My understanding is,it's how much a player dominates the era they are from.

Have no issues with list of "best of his generation" or similar. Best of all times is just nonsense IMO but I know a lot of people like to use that term despite only having been around for 20, 40 or 60 years. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Have no issues with list of "best of his generation" or similar. Best of all times is just nonsense IMO but I know a lot of people like to use that term despite only having been around for 20, 40 or 60 years. 

Somebody randomly reading this might think your saying Nakamba is best of his generation😂

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, sne said:

I'm not sure I understand the last bit.

I agree, "best of all time" is contentious....but equally, I do believe a player who has dominated his era like George Best for example, is entitled to be revered, for his performances in that era......I think to transfer him in to the modern day, metaphorically speaking, is folly.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I'm not sure I understand the last bit.

I agree, "best of all time" is contentious....but equally, I do believe a player who has dominated his era like George Best for example, is entitled to be revered, for his performances in that era......I think to transfer him in to the modern day, metaphorically speaking, is folly.

Absolutely.

As for the part you didn't understand I mean that people using the term "of all time" have often only watched football for 20 years, or 40 or 60 so they will not have watched a lot of the players they are excluding from their of all time list making it all a bit pointless and silly.

It's a bit like those Miss Universe competitions where only chicks from earth are allowed to compete. 

16 minutes ago, sne said:

Absolutely.

As for the part you didn't understand I mean that people using the term "of all time" have often only watched football for 20 years, or 40 or 60 so they will not have watched a lot of the players they are excluding from their of all time list making it all a bit pointless and silly.

It's a bit like those Miss Universe competitions where only chicks from earth are allowed to compete. 

ok.

marketing hyperbole.

3 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've always liked Nakamba.

I get why he isn't that popular, because there is nothing eye-catching about the way he plays. He does the simple things well, and on Saturday completed all but one of his 28 passes.

He wins or receives the ball and moves it quickly and accurately to a team mate probably only 5 metres away.

He started the move that led to Ollie breaking the 0-0 stalemate by turning over possession. Someone has to do the basics, and MN does this job whenever he is called on.

Every team needs an unselfish and totally committed worker like Marvellous.

Is it really that bad to ask for an unselfish and totally committed worker who can pass a football? He's not good enough. This is the Premier League. Long gone are the days where your fullbacks were only required to snap ankles and launch the ball into row Z. No team pushing for European football can afford limited players like Nakamba in such a pivotal position.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've always liked Nakamba.

I get why he isn't that popular, because there is nothing eye-catching about the way he plays. He does the simple things well, and on Saturday completed all but one of his 28 passes.

He wins or receives the ball and moves it quickly and accurately to a team mate probably only 5 metres away.

He started the move that led to Ollie breaking the 0-0 stalemate by turning over possession. Someone has to do the basics, and MN does this job whenever he is called on.

Every team needs an unselfish and totally committed worker like Marvellous.

This is the biggest problem with Nakamba and why, in my opinion, he will never progress beyond being an adequate back up for a mid table Premier League side, he simply does not "move it quickly and accurately" enough for me.

Though admittedly he usually does *just* enough to make them stick, in general so many of his passes are overcooked, undercooked, to the wrong side and leave his receiver stretching or off balance, so they in turn are under pressure and either lose the ball or have to recycle it immediately. His accuracy is so high too because he doesn't actually try to do anything progressive with the ball, and neither should he, because quite often, as I say, he makes even the simplest of 5 yard passes look like hard work. 

Defensively his positioning has become a strength, he's nimble and has a decent engine, he breaks up play well. I like him as a squad player for now and he had a decent game on Saturday, but it was the very least we should be expecting from our defensive midfielder.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AV82 said:

Is it really that bad to ask for an unselfish and totally committed worker who can pass a football? He's not good enough. This is the Premier League. Long gone are the days where your fullbacks were only required to snap ankles and launch the ball into row Z. No team pushing for European football can afford limited players like Nakamba in such a pivotal position.

Pretty harsh assessment imo with 27 of 28 attempted passes completed and a passing accuracy of 96.4% vs Brighton.

Â