Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Caught the last half an hour or so again on Sky's replay just there and he really did pop up with some big if under the radar moments. Couple of big interceptions/blocks at the edge of the box when United were about to get a shot away, beat Cavani to a header where if he lost it they were away etc. As well as the stuff you'd expect of him where he was dropping in to offer an outlet in possession when the CBs were struggling for options.

Still need a CDM in regardless given that as it stands he's the only one that can play the role with any comfort, but it was another case in point that he has it in him to flourish in that position. 

14 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

The way we play, that position gets no protection.  If you had an average player there, we would know all about it.  Will never get the deserved credit because of it.

Exactly, when we don't play with him our attacking play also gets destroyed as we can only hoof it to get the ball forward. Him, Ramsey and Buendia have to be the first names on the team sheet outside of Emi and mings. Without them we just can't keep possession or advance the ball up the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Him, Ramsey and Buendia have to be the first names on the team sheet outside of Emi and mings. 

So just those 5 players to be first names on the team sheet, plus Coutinho 😬

Actually it’s interesting that we are getting close to a place where we know what our first 11 are, a settled team will definitely play better.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, LondonVillian said:

lots of people proving they know nothing about football in this thread

Absolutely wild isn’t it? A funny mix of opinions from ye olden times (with no understanding of a modern midfielder) and the kids who don’t see him scoring screamers on social.

He is the only one in our midfield who would be totally comfortable in the Champions League. Although I do think Ramsey might turn out that way…

• Like 3

14 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

The way we play, that position gets no protection.  If you had an average player there, we would know all about it.  Will never get the deserved credit because of it.

We have never, in my time following Villa, ever given the player in that position any credit, whatever their style of play. Sign Bissouma or whoever it’ll be the same. No point worrying about it.

17 minutes ago, ender4 said:

So just those 5 players to be first names on the team sheet, plus Coutinho 😬

Actually it’s interesting that we are getting close to a place where we know what our first 11 are, a settled team will definitely play better.

Having a settled core is important. And I think without those lot in the team we just can't perform the way we want to. 

I also think we are much better with Sanson in over mcginn despite his mistake yesterday because he shows for the ball plays quick passes a d actually wins the ball when he presses. 

15 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Thought he had a good game today but was unsure, until I saw his stamp on Fernandes on MoTD.  Now I know he had a good game. 😆

i hope it was deliberate because I want him to be more nasty. 

• Like 1

Just now, PaulC said:

i hope it was deliberate because I want him to be more nasty. 

They all need to be more nasty. This is why we always struggle against the likes of Burnley, not cause they are a decent side, just cause they are bunch of hooligans and we are a bunch of fairys.

20 hours ago, poitier said:

I can't think of two more different players. He is the anti Reo-Coker.

Alike to Reo-coker as in i just think he is just unremarkable. Doesn't create much, doesn't score, harries and helps break up play and that's it. A player i wouldn't greatly miss, and who would be relatively easily replaced by a midfielder who could do what he does and more.

Yes he has been a little better yesterday, but all season for me he has been very poor compared to expectations. Especially his passing range.

He was supposed to be a player Man city were gutted wasnt going to be in their midfield, and who were going to sign him after he had done a season for us. A million miles from that, and so hence the disappointment. 

Just rewatching the second half as a treat to watch Coutinho but actually very clear DL ran that last 30 minutes. Every time United got the ball he was orchestrating the defence, often winning it back himself and teeing up the next attack. He needs to step that up to be for the full 90 and every week, of course, but I do not understand at all any claim he can’t play defensive midfield (now whether it’s his best position of course is a more valid debate). He was so good here. Get that new contract signed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

No matter how good or bad he plays his contract situation means he has to be sold this summer, it's abvious hes not going to re sign for us as thing stand.

Yeah I do get the feeling this might be one where either he goes this summer for cash or next summer he’s off for free to one of the big Spanish teams (especially if he starts for Brazil at the World Cup). Hopefully not though and we have him here for a while.

9 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Yeah I do get the feeling this might be one where either he goes this summer for cash or next summer he’s off for free to one of the big Spanish teams (especially if he starts for Brazil at the World Cup). Hopefully not though and we have him here for a while.

Gotta agree. His only real failing is he is a tad bit slow and I feel that deficiency would be exposed less often on the continent. I hope he resigns but if he doesn't then I think we have to sell this summer. 

Â