Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

With Hause and now Martinez signing new deals to me it seems like its Luiz whose the one who doesn't want to commit rather than it being because of the club. He will be gone in the summer, hopefully for a decent fee. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Makes you wonder with emi and hause getting new deals whats going on with dougie who doesnt have long left.

Might have to cash in the summer if he hasnt commited

I think he's a very saleable asset. With a new midfielder joining we'll be well stocked in midfield. Especially as Chuk is clearly destined for a box to box role in the midfield three. 

• Like 1

On 15/01/2022 at 17:45, carlitobrigante said:

reminds me of reo-coker

bang average, laughable we once upon a time thought we might lose him to man city lol

Not remotely the same or similar player.

I agree in terms of Dougies performance as a no6.....but to be fair he is a number8....and if we sign a suitable no6, he will be relieved of the post.

• Like 1

If we get £20m plus for him I won’t lose any sleep. If we want to progress he needs to be a squad player imo. Helped us stabilise in the PL, will always be grateful for that but we need better!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not remotely the same or similar player.

I agree in terms of Dougies performance as a no6.....but to be fair he is a number8....and if we sign a suitable no6, he will be relieved of the post.

and struggle to get time as a no8 ahead of JJ / McGinn

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RichW said:

With Hause and now Martinez signing new deals to me it seems like its Luiz whose the one who doesn't want to commit rather than it being because of the club. He will be gone in the summer, hopefully for a decent fee. 

Perhaps, he knows the strength of feeling the club have to improve that position...which leaves him where?

with Ramsey and Carney looking more like the future, every game.

Just now, CVByrne said:

and struggle to get time as a no8 ahead of JJ / McGinn

I was trying to be courteous to him.....but you are right.

Its part of our evolution.

Just now, TRO said:

Perhaps, he knows the strength of feeling the club have to improve that position...which leaves him where?

with Ramsey and Carney looking more like the future, every game.

I think he will look for a move to another European league where the pace of the game will suit his attributes more. I'm guessing that is why he hasn't signed a contract extension. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

I think he will look for a move to another European league where the pace of the game will suit his attributes more. I'm guessing that is why he hasn't signed a contract extension. 

The European retirement league aka Serie A will suit him down to the ground. Shame none of the clubs have much money though.

I'm reading this thread, and I question if I know nothing about football or whether you are watching a different player.

Dougie is class, he could easily play European football and when we get there, we will need players like him. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I'm reading this thread, and I question if I know nothing about football or whether you are watching a different player.

Dougie is class, he could easily play European football and when we get there, we will need players like him. 

I think it depends what we are all looking at to come to those conclusions.

I am looking for defensive qualities and the ability to stop the opposition, I am looking for a player who goes after the ball and protects the back line.

Dougie, is a good passer of the ball,granted, but delights in space and tends to just recycle ( nothing wrong with that, its important) but that is not enough, for me he doesn't relish, in the physical battle and the challenge....and I think someone has to.

Opponents need to know they have been in a game, all too often for me, Dougie is passive and not a natural aggressor.

but we all look for varying attributes,in terms of priority, when we value a players worth....that's how our opinions differ, I guess.

I saw him make one real worthwhile challenge against United, that got me out of my seat to applaud, in the main, he stands off.....just one example...........He never tracked/challenged Fernandes for his second goal, he just ran passively behind him as a token gesture... a No'6 should have been on that.

Edited by TRO

16 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I like Douglas Luiz. Was expecting once the buy back clause with Man City expired it wouldn't be long before he signed a new deal as the club have been very good in recent times of getting key players to sign new deals but he doesn't want to commit for whatever reason. Think I read in The Athletic recently that it's rare that once players are in the last 6 or 12 months of their contracts  (which will be Luiz in the summer) that they sign a new deal so unfortunately he should be moved on in the summer unless the club spring a surprise announcement before the season ends.

I think he will be an excellent squad member. If SG gets what he wants then very few of them are guaranteed starters, we need 18+ very good players to improve. We need to keep Dougie and make sure there is enough competition for players and hope it drives everyone of them to succeed. It's a.team game.

Luiz is a very good player who will do very well outside the Prem at a Champions League level club. 

I think Chukwuemeka is destined to be a box to box 8 and if we sell Luiz, buy that No6 (Bissouma hopefully) then we have 6 midfielders 2 for each position. Plus we've Ashley Young and Buendia / Coutinho who can play in midfield if we need it. 

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Luiz is a better no. 6 than Nakamba.

I also think he's as good an eight as Ramsey and McGinn.

It'd be a shame to lose him.

Another player they if he was at any other team we’d want him. Unfortunately not appreciated by all at Villa. I really like him and I think he’ll sign a new contract too. Villa is the place to be.

Â