Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

On 21/01/2022 at 18:36, MotoMkali said:

Only one willing to come short and take the ball of the defence. You need players like that I your team to win games. 

Because that's the role he is being asked to play😂😂. If Gerrard asked mcginn or some other midfielder to do it then I'm sure the team would manage perfectly well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Because that's the role he is being asked to play😂😂. If Gerrard asked mcginn or some other midfielder to do it then I'm sure the team would manage perfectly well. 

Haha yes, exactly, although I think Dougie is the best player in the squad at doing this. He rarely loses the ball in dangerous positions.

9 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I don't think we'll sell to them. We'd probably take a lower fee from a club abroad. Either way, he'll be sold this Summer if he doesn't sign a new deal. He'd be daft not to, we're about his level. He's not a top, top player. 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don't think we'll sell to them. We'd probably take a lower fee from a club abroad. Either way, he'll be sold this Summer if he doesn't sign a new deal. He'd be daft not to, we're about his level. He's not a top, top player. 

I just read a recent interview with Dougie, and it sounds to me that he's happier playing as a number 8. Which is fair enough, as he is better there. I wonder if assurances about long term playing position are coming into his discussions at all.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 10:19, Laughable Chimp said:

Our record with Nakamba  under Gerrard is a 60% win record actually.

Also, yes I'm just talking about games where Luiz played regardless of which role he played in that game.

but is it more about, what we have in the squad, than how Luiz has played?

Like you, I am not his biggest fan, but you may have a point.

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I just read a recent interview with Dougie, and it sounds to me that he's happier playing as a number 8. Which is fair enough, as he is better there. I wonder if assurances about long term playing position are coming into his discussions at all.

Thats interesting Tom, because its a suspicion, I have had for some time.

On reflection, I applaud him for doing a job for us, very few in the squad, can.

I feel a bit sorry for him, with such a reveal, I hope he can resolve his situation.

I have never doubted him as a tidy footballer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats interesting Tom, because its a suspicion, I have had for some time.

On reflection, I applaud him for doing a job for us, very few in the squad, can.

I feel a bit sorry for him, with such a reveal, I hope he can resolve his situation.

I have never doubted him as a tidy footballer.

"I know I'm a player that has lots of quality and that I'm able to be freer. Sometimes as a six you don't have that level of freedom.

"I have played as a number eight before at Vasco de Gama, so I'm able to adapt to the various positions quite easily. It enables me to use my qualities to get assists, get goals. Obviously if I'm closer to goal, I'm a lot happier.

"The closer you are to goal, the easier it is to score. I know that I have a good shot, I'm good in the box, so hopefully this can help my career and I can get more goals and assists in the future.

"It's not about whether I like it or prefer one position or not, football nowadays is a lot of marking and attacking and defending in all areas.

"Even as a number eight, I find myself marking a lot more because you've got to consider the wingers, you've got to consider the other midfielders, so there's a lot of marking.

"There aren't really any positions anymore where you don't mark and you just have the ball at your feet. It doesn't really exist anymore, so that's good for me and my various experiences in different positions."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Having 3 players in midfield together all playing like McGinn would be a mess :D 

No sh*t, honestly I have no vendetta against DL, there’s a time and place to win the ball back no doubt I understand that a DMC isn’t a player who runs around like a headless chicken and tries to win the ball back at all cost,  But on countless occasions we’ve had a scenario where the opposition win the ball back and the counter is on DL doesn’t shut it down he stands off sometimes this is the correct decision but more often than not it leads to our backline being under pressure and a goal opportunity for the opposition, Nakamba under Gerrard shut those opportunities down immediately, once again Luiz is a quality player and I’d love to see him stay at villa for the foreseeable future . 

51 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'd be okay with selling him in summer if he doesn't sign a new contract, £25-£30m which could be re-invested.  TBH selling DL and signing Bissouma AND Bentancur would defo be an upgrade in midfield.

For £30m yes, anything less and i'd keep him as a squad player even if we sign an upgrade.

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Arsenal generally play with two 6s/a double pivot/however you'd describe it, so in the event of specifically them signing him I can't imagine it'd be that much of a deal-breaker.

I know we debate the strengths of Luiz a lot but I think he's a good player, and still potentially a very good player.

I think he and Partey behind Saka, Martinelli and Smith-Rowe (or Ødegaard) is a dangerous midfield. Partey can be the strong defensive midfielder we would want behind 2 of Luiz/McGinn/Ramsey in our system.

Luiz in a 2 man midfield behind a 10? Not 100% sure at CL level but I think Partey would allow him to play to his strengths in the Prem so if he leaves us Arsenal is around his level. 

Neither are world beaters and there would be games that they get wrecked in still due to lapses in concentration or a loose pass, but that's a strong set up for 25-odd Prem games a year and would allow them not have to rely on Xhaka

Plus we'll need to cash in if he is not keen to sign a contract. I can see this having legs. Not entirely sure how I feel about it. It makes us weaker and to someone we should be competing with but also I kind of expect to lose Luiz and it wouldn't be the end of the world if he moved on.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2

Â