Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

On 06/01/2022 at 16:50, TRO said:
  • He may be indispensible, because we don't have an adequate No 6 fit with merchantable quality......but that is no argument......its just, needs must.
  • Nakamba is the current no 6 when fit, so I don't accept your reasoning....SG has stuck with him, until his injury.
  • I am not sure what a "press proof" player is, if there is such a thing, every player is pressable.....Sanson hasn't played enough games to be so judgmental.
  • The attackers have been running at the defence,unhindered, Hence a new Manager has come in to stem the tide.
  • The Modern game has many things derived from the 80' and 60's....so that is a moot point imo....4-3-3....4-2-3-1....3-4-3.....4-2-2-2.....5-3-2.....3-5-3....4-1-4-1....4-4-2......It can hardly be claimed to be a single entity this "modern game", because thats what mangers today set up with....so many things are similar, to times gone by,you just have to look for them......sure its faster today, less space to play in, etc.....but if you think there is nothing to learn from yesteryear in a mature sport.....you are kidding yourself.

1/2 Luiz was out - at no point was he dropped for Nakamba other than when he was coming back. Luiz is far more reliable.

3 Press-proof - can keep the ball under pressure reliably. Nakamba does not do this. Sanson has been in professional football for ten years - and even in a Villa shirt, he is clearly comfortable under pressure.

4 Not sure how this relates? You asked who does the pressing in midfield - the DM isn't there to get dragged out of position or he leaves his defence exposed centrally (most dangerous area). In this system, the two 10s and the two midfielders alongside Luiz press, he mops up.

5 The 1980s point was to the one above. The DM is no longer a kick-lumps-out-of-people type, he is more a director of traffic now. You just assumed what my point was.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

2 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

1/2 Luiz was out - at no point was he dropped for Nakamba other than when he was coming back. Luiz is far more reliable.

3 Press-proof - can keep the ball under pressure reliably. Nakamba does not do this. Sanson has been in professional football for ten years - and even in a Villa shirt, he is clearly comfortable under pressure.

4 Not sure how this relates? You asked who does the pressing in midfield - the DM isn't there to get dragged out of position or he leaves his defence exposed centrally (most dangerous area). In this system, the two 10s and the two midfielders alongside Luiz press, he mops up.

5 The 1980s point was to the one above. The DM is no longer a kick-lumps-out-of-people type, he is more a director of traffic now. You just assumed what my point was.

So where have you got that from?   who has intimated that?

No one talking about the No 6 role has ever mentioned that, its a figment of your imagination.

I just don't get what people who rate him so much see. Lacks pace, often sloppy in possession, makes bad decisions when marking opposing players. The best thing about him is his beautiful raking long balls but he needs all the time in the world to do them effectively - would be much better off in the Spanish league 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I thought he was sloppy again :D  He just seems to give away possession in dangerous areas an alarming amount.

Good player, but I wish he could cut that element out of his game. 

He did a couple of times but more than made up for it with how many attacks he stopped.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Goal was his fault imo 

Too busy pointing for where Buendia should be to pick up mctominays run, completely ghosted past him unmarked 

Not for me. First Ings leaves the free man too open, then Mings wanders out of position and isn't where he should be to head it clear.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Not for me. First Ings leaves the free man too open, then Mings wanders out of position and isn't where he should be to head it clear.

So the midfielder who doesn't mark his midfielder and let's him run in to our box completely unmarked isn't culpable but mings who isn't marking him because it's not his man (and its behind him so he cant see him) is because he isn't stood where the ball drops to the utd player? 

OK... 

He has to follow the run, has to, he cannot pass him on 

Edited by villa4europe

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

So the midfielder who doesn't mark his midfielder and let's him run in to our box completely unmarked isn't culpable but mings who isn't marking him because it's not his man (and its behind him so he cant see him) is because he isn't stood where the ball drops to the utd player? 

OK... 

Mings would have been exactly where the ball came into if he'd have held his rightful position next to his partner. 

Just now, Mazrim said:

Mings would have been exactly where the ball came into if he'd have held his rightful position next to his partner. 

His partner who can see the run of the unmarked utd player and does nothing about it... 

That goal is very very little to do with mings, its mad how people look for him when we concede and ignore everything else 

Luiz doesn't track his man who gets a free header to score "wheres mings?" 

Â