Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Probably referring to Watford, West Ham, Southampton

Those games were 5-3-2 under Smith, when most games were bad whether Luiz was playing or not.  There doesn`t seem to me to be any conclusive evidence about the midfield turning into shambles when Luiz isn`t playing as the Palace and Brighton games show.  If Gerrard can upgrade on him, then all well and good.  If he can`t, then stick with him over Nakamba.

30 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Is there still a buyback clause from Man City in Luiz's contract, or was that a past, now-expired contract? 

yes it expires in 2029.  By then it will be $80 million for Citeh. 😉

I’d hate to see Luiz go, always thought he was more of an 8 and he may want assurances that’s where his future lies.

At 23 his best football is still ahead of him. If we bring in Bentancur and/or other, it will free him up to play in the 8, but looking at the squad numbers, someone will have to be sold and with a certain Villa starlet having not signed a new contract, you wonder what’s going to give, especially with Gerrard suggesting he wants two players for each position?

If Luiz is sold some may be happy, but like Veretout etc they will be the same people in a few years asking why we didn’t keep a hold of him because his best football is still in front of him.

• Like 3

Luiz played in 2 international tournaments in the summer so has basically had 2 seasons back to back, with the covid disrupted season before that as well it’s more like 3 without a break. Surely that must cause some fatigue, mental if not physical at least so I’m not convinced he’s playing at his 100% potential at the moment. I still think he could develop into a top class midfielder, he maybe suffers with this “6” or “8” debate as he’s not really either but in the proper system he could thrive. Hope we don’t sell him but if his head’s been turned maybe better to cash in as his price will only fall if he doesn’t sign an extension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

Was that the 2-1 win against Crystal Palace and the 2-0 win against Brighton?

I was thinking more about the start of the season. We were a car crash. As soon as he came back we looked miles better.

• Like 1

I really don’t want to lose Douglas-Luiz, he’s a class act who will only get better in my opinion. He’s still fairly young and I’d like to see him continue his development with Villa. Of course if he won’t sign a new contract then it makes sense to sell, but I’d be disappointed if that happens.

5 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Not necessarily as squads are constantly evolving. If we buy reasonable replacements then we can afford to lose them. Neither are 'once in a generation' talents like Grealish was. The only player in our squad that I think we couldn't get a like for like replacement for is Martinez (plus Coutinho if he signs permanently). 

Maybe but the importance of McGinn to the squad and the changing room is under represented. Losing both parts of the senior midfield in 6 months is not good. The needs to be consistency somewhere

Â