Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Starting tonight for Brazil (match on BBC red button in 10 minutes).

Fabinho of Liverpool also starting so he'll be playing as an 8 again.

He's playing deep as a 6 alongside Fabinho in a 4-2-3-1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

He's playing deep as a 6 alongside Fabinho in a 4-2-3-1.

But when Southgate does it... 

Does show the difference though, you can play that system if you have 2 players who are just about good enough at winning the ball back but then also proper ball players 

Brazil currently sat on 85% possession, don't need an out and out DMC in there, he's not there for his tackling 

• Like 3

I do chuckle at times that he is good enough for the Brazil squad and 1st XI and is developing all the time. Yet that isn’t enough for some still who want an outdated kick lumps type DM. What I would say is that at time she needs more assistance and someone like Berge who is tall and athletic yet technically minded would compliment him well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I do chuckle at times that he is good enough for the Brazil squad and 1st XI and is developing all the time. Yet that isn’t enough for some still who want an outdated kick lumps type DM. What I would say is that at time she needs more assistance and someone like Berge who is tall and athletic yet technically minded would compliment him well. 

i agree that berge is a good player, and i wouldnt say no to him!

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Substituted around 60 minute mark. Brazil been as average as average can be. 

I literally just started watching as realised he was playing about 2 minutes before he was substituted! :crylaugh:Not interested in the game now!

Did he actually play alright?

Edited by cyrusr

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

We're seemingly basing our DMC on how he plays when we have the ball as opposed to what the other lot do when they have it, thats why I think deano likes Luiz more than Nakamba 

Phillips would have been huge for us 

That's said looking at England there's currently a DMC touted as a £50m signing for the likes of Chelsea who I personally don't think is a good on the ball midfielder, certainly not better than Luiz 

The "jack of all trades" isn't correct, we need a player who can do both jobs on both sides of the ball, with it and without it... So does every team in world football... I don't know who that player is if I'm honest, as good as Luiz on the ball, as good as Nakamba off it (or preferably better at both...) 

have you been watching Sanches of Portugal....plays for Lille( looks like Edgar Davids).....not just a DM as such, but rats in the middle of the park....thats what we need.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

have you been watching Sanches of Portugal....plays for Lille( looks like Edgar Davids).....not just a DM as such, but rats in the middle of the park....thats what we need.

Have you seen this guy Luiz? Plays for Brazil national team

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Have you seen this guy Luiz? Plays for Brazil national team

eeeeeer.....yes. The ball watcher, I'm talking about a ball snatcher.

have you seen him ratting like Sanches?

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

It's not really that straightforward though is it? This is oversimplication. For 1, he's playing for Brazil, and as someone above pointed out, they have 85 percent possession. He is playing next to Fabinho etc. Hes got the likes of Neymar , Casemiro plus around him.

Many of us on here have said, if ANYTHING, he needs a Fabinho/Kante( Insert other impressive DMC here ) around him for protection, to allow him to play to his strengths. He isn't ( hasn't been yet ) afforded those luxuries in the Premier League and/or with our personnel and setup, especially against certain opposition, and in certain systems.

I'm sure there are loads of examples of players who perform better/worse for club/country and vice versa for a.multitude of reasons. ( System, Competetion, Opposition, Intensity etc ). Doesn't necessarily mean they are a bad, OR brilliant player. It just.mean they might fit a certain system better than another.

Luiz having a good game for Brazil doesn't automatically mean that he has been effective for us, and is suddenly a World Class DCM and the answer to all our sweeping woes.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sanches was a flop on loan at Swansea. He got better. Luiz will get better

I think Luiz is a good player, and is still developing. I’m not sure what’s he’s missing exactly, probably that he isn’t a proper DM when we’re thinking that.

That’s why we say Nakamba is better at times, as he’s a proper DM. But does all teams play with a proper DM? I think we need physical presence at any case. Even if it was Sarr for example, it might help our whole midfield.

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

But when Southgate does it... 

Does show the difference though, you can play that system if you have 2 players who are just about good enough at winning the ball back but then also proper ball players 

Brazil currently sat on 85% possession, don't need an out and out DMC in there, he's not there for his tackling 

I didn't watch the game so I can't say for certain. But he was probably playing LB like he normally does for Brazil. (Like not real LB but he plays LDM and because lodi plays like a winger Luiz has to drop in and cover). 

8 hours ago, cyrusr said:

I literally just started watching as realised he was playing about 2 minutes before he was substituted! :crylaugh:Not interested in the game now!

Did he actually play alright?

I wasn't paying much attention to be honest.  Didn't hear his name mentioned much. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

No because that's not his job. That's what McGinn should be doing. Luz is a not a ball watcher - why do you always want to do him down by comparing apples to oranges?

Â