Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

I don't see Roma being a more attractive proposition than Villa next season, I mean, great, they might get to play Spurs or Union Berlin in the European Conference Tinpot Championship, but it's not going to have him kicking down the down is it?

He can play with Grealish, Mings and Watkins next season, or Chris Smalling, Veretout and Pedro. I know what I'd pick.

13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Well if they can't afford more than £13m for Xhaka then they won't be buying Luiz. 

Yeah, I’d imagine that conversation starts with proof of funds of at least £30m. 

Douglas Luiz been named in Brazil's Under 23 side for the Olympics.

The Final, should Brazil progress that far, is the 7th of August. That is one week before the Premier League season starts so it will be interesting to see how and when he is integrated back in to the squad (I speculate that he may not be selected until the end of August/September so that he gets enouch rest).

Edited by Wes
  • Like 1

If it's correct that his buy back clause has expired then that is for me among the best possible news for the summer! Almost like I can't believe it. He wasn't quite as dominant all games this season compared to his sensational form after the lockdown last season and I'm not sure if playing as one of two holding midfielders gets the best out of him, but regardless of that, he is one of the best players I have seen in a Villa shirt, is only 23, a Brazil international and can even develop further.

This is really super news if true. 

• Like 3

Doug going to the Olympics and I think he might find it hard work to win his shirt back. Could be a more peripheral figure next season if Sanson or Nakamba step up. 

Would love us to sign a world beater in that critical position but feels like the numbers aren't quite going to work for it - unless the Roma rumours are true...

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

Doug going to the Olympics and I think he might find it hard work to win his shirt back. Could be a more peripheral figure next season if Sanson or Nakamba step up. 

Would love us to sign a world beater in that critical position but feels like the numbers aren't quite going to work for it - unless the Roma rumours are true...

Yes good enough for Brazil team but not good enough for us because had dip in form possibly Covid affected. Laughable thinking really

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yes good enough for Brazil team but not good enough for us because had dip in form possibly Covid affected. Laughable thinking really

Not really. The fact he plays for Brazil has no bearing on my opinion of him for us. His dip in form lasted 38 games. We need better in that position and the club will address it this Summer. 

11 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

If it's correct that his buy back clause has expired then that is for me among the best possible news for the summer! Almost like I can't believe it. He wasn't quite as dominant all games this season compared to his sensational form after the lockdown last season and I'm not sure if playing as one of two holding midfielders gets the best out of him, but regardless of that, he is one of the best players I have seen in a Villa shirt, is only 23, a Brazil international and can even develop further.

This is really super news if true. 

What an odd comment. He isn’t even in our top 5 players at the club now. 

Overrated by so many because he’s Brazilian. 

41 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What an odd comment. He isn’t even in our top 5 players at the club now. 

Poor form for sure, but he’s shown his ability. I trust the coaching staff to get him back on it and hopefully he’ll be more focused now he knows where he stands.

That said I’d love to get Sarr in as direct competition and they can push each other for the shirt. 

25 minutes ago, Awol said:

Poor form for sure, but he’s shown his ability. I trust the coaching staff to get him back on it and hopefully he’ll be more focused now he knows where he stands.

That said I’d love to get Sarr in as direct competition and they can push each other for the shirt. 

He’s shown his ability at a time when other clubs and players had come back from a long covid lay off and probably weren’t at their best. That and the teams we were playing had little to play for.

Im not writing him off, and agree that there is ability there, but if we want to continue to progress, we absolutely need a better defensive midfielder and if we do sign one, I can’t see Luiz playing as an 8.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s shown his ability at a time when other clubs and players had come back from a long covid lay off and probably weren’t at their best. That and the teams we were playing had little to play for.

Im not writing him off, and agree that there is ability there, but if we want to continue to progress, we absolutely need a better defensive midfielder and if we do sign one, I can’t see Luiz playing as an 8.

i'm close to writing him off. 2 seasons now and i'm still very underwhelmed aside from his spell of form during project restart

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not really. The fact he plays for Brazil has no bearing on my opinion of him for us. His dip in form lasted 38 games. We need better in that position and the club will address it this Summer. 

Disagree. It was after the covid breakout at the club. Up until then he was dominating games. There's a clear correlation between his dip in form and Villa's compounded by Jack getting injured.

• Like 1

Regardless of the opinion on here, the club will strengthen that area in this window and Luiz will have to work extremely hard to get back into the team. 
I actually think Nakamba was above him in the pecking order towards the end. 

Â