Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

13 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

If it's correct that his buy back clause has expired then that is for me among the best possible news for the summer! Almost like I can't believe it. He wasn't quite as dominant all games this season compared to his sensational form after the lockdown last season and I'm not sure if playing as one of two holding midfielders gets the best out of him, but regardless of that, he is one of the best players I have seen in a Villa shirt, is only 23, a Brazil international and can even develop further.

This is really super news if true. 

It's gone under the radar for sure. Youd think the club would announce it.

6 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Trying to look through Luiz's playing time with Brazil, has he only ever played for Brazil in friendlies?

According to transfermarkt he‘s played 6 times for them. Only 1 friendly and 5 WC qualifiers. 

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yes good enough for Brazil team but not good enough for us because had dip in form possibly Covid affected. Laughable thinking really

Is it laughable? This Brazil side is nothing special and he's not a regular. He's a good talent but doesn't quite fit what the team needs in his position in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

According to transfermarkt he‘s played 6 times for them. Only 1 friendly and 5 WC qualifiers. 

Ah okay, I see where you found that data from.

According to the same page he seems to have played 145 minutes as CM and 180 minutes as DM for them, at least for the matches they have data on. 

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Ah okay, I see where you found that data from.

According to the same page he seems to have played 145 minutes as CM and 180 minutes as DM for them, at least for the matches they have data on. 

Yep that’s the one. He looks to have played himself out of contention, at least for a starting place, with his second half of the season form where Fred had a fairly solid season. 

And then there is Casimeiro, Fabinho, Bruno, Arthur and so on also competing for a spot at CM. 

Luiz actually in contention despite most of these guys are available. Wes was brought in for a exhibition game and got 5 mins. Luiz is actually part of the real Brazil set up, him not being a shoe in at 22-23 really isn't a stick to beat him with.

And the Brazil squad isn't really that weak.

• Like 2

i wonder if a new contract is in progress?

He only has 2 years left on his contract doesnt he?, if he doesnt sign a new one we dont really want his contract running down.....

36 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Didn't play again for Brazil...

Don't expect him to unless they have a few injuries, particularly in a game they comfortably won. He was just announced for the Olympics squad and they wont make him play 2 tournaments back to back.

Casemiro didn't play either, but I doubt Madrid fans are saying he's shit because of it. As I'm sure Liverpool fans weren't when Fabinho wasn't starting.

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Disagree. It was after the covid breakout at the club. Up until then he was dominating games. There's a clear correlation between his dip in form and Villa's compounded by Jack getting injured.

And barkley being a lazy git. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Condimentalist said:

Is it laughable? This Brazil side is nothing special and he's not a regular. He's a good talent but doesn't quite fit what the team needs in his position in my opinion. 

Their defensive midfield is stacked. Even without fernandinho. They have Fabinho, Casemiro, Luiz, Fred, Allan, Marquinhos, L Leiva, Fernando.

That a number of very quality midfielders. Luiz fits the team perfectly. Mcginn is the one who doesn't fit. He leaves runners, loses the ball in dangerous positions. Can't play as a 10 or in the pivot. Replace McGinn with more of a ball playing bruiser like Anguissa and see how much better Luiz looks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

And barkley being a lazy git. 

Exactly, that made McGinn look bad too because they were both getting overrun by sheer numbers. When Barkley played well at the beginning of the season both Dougie and McGinn looked great. 

• Like 1

Just now, Awol said:

Exactly, that made McGinn look bad too because they were both getting overrun by sheer numbers. When Barkley played well at the beginning of the season both Dougie and McGinn looked great. 

McGinn still let his men pass him by. Especially when he did a stupid press out of position. The ball was passed around him and he doesn't bother to recover. 

I felt at times Luiz was expected to do the work of 3 men as there were almost always an additional man for him to cover. Normally more. 

Just now, MotoMkali said:

McGinn still let his men pass him by. Especially when he did a stupid press out of position. The ball was passed around him and he doesn't bother to recover. 

I felt at times Luiz was expected to do the work of 3 men as there were almost always an additional man for him to cover. Normally more. 

Nah, the anti-SJM bus is not for me thanks. I’ll get the next one. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

I prefer to watch the games and not be side tracked by ancillary criteria, like who he plays for internationally....its easy to be seduced by the Brazil Thing.....Dougie is not Rivallino, or Neymar or in fact blessed with "Ginga" .

In Brazillian terms he is very ordinary, so far, in his career.

• 2 weeks later...
Â