Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Don't know if it's because we never enter the Olympic football, but I just don't get it.

Brazil clearly taken it a lot more seriously than the Germans, it's like an exhibition match.

And then when you realise this means Dougie is going to be very late back and probably be better off giving him a decent break and getting him even later it just seems like a nonsense really.

• Like 1

when does the Olympics football thingy ma jig finish?

edit: looks like the final is played on the 6th August.

If Brazil get to the final, that leaves only 8 days before our first PL game versus Watford.

Luiz will need a break as he has played/trained all summer with the Copa America, and now the Olympics, if he is given a couple of weeks off, then a short period of a week or 2 to get back to full fitness, its likely we wont see him available for Villa until some time around the start of September, so that means he might miss the first 3 games of the season versus Watford, Newcastle & Brentford, but then be available for the game versus Chelsea on 11th Sept?

Not good if thats the case, and another reason we do need to get another DM.

Edited by MaVilla

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Dougie starts for Brazil vs Germany

It's on eurosport 1 at 12.30pm.

That ref loves a yellow card. I don’t know what he’s given in this game but the commentator on German tv just said in his last 10 games, he’s given 51 yellows and 3 reds!

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

That ref loves a yellow card

They all seem too, they have been very deliberate and don't talk to me about how long they take to set up a set piece or penalty, ridiculous. I've opened an Olympic thread in other footy.

• Like 1

Apparently getting alot of abuse from fans in Brazil today, for what I would call a Villa esque performance. ( The bad ones only people who apparently only want a " clogger "often see ) Gave the ball away alot, and was generally weak.

Without sounding like a prick, I'm still waiting for the " Best young DM in England " ( Actual VT quote ) to rise from the ashes like a Phoenix.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Bloke needs a rest. No surprise his form is dipping. 

Where I'm at too. He has to absolutely be gassed after the last 12 months of almost nonstop football. 

• Like 2

He certainly looks like he could do with some time out of the game to recooperate. I think he'll be one people write off then rave about when he comes back in to the side in September/October looking like a new signing.

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

Where I'm at too. He has to absolutely be gassed after the last 12 months of almost nonstop football. 

I don't think he's played that much. He wasn't ever present in our side in 2021 and he barely played in both the world cup qualifies this year and in the copa america.

Man City didn’t buy him back for a reason, he improved after the first lockdown because the tempo of games was slower, once back up to full speed he has struggled again. Not sure he will ever been anything other than a squad player for us. We need better than him if we are serious about getting into Europe.

Edited by WHY

Went from one of the worst in our team to probably the best then to average at best.

Very odd. Need him back to his form in the last 3rd of the season when we returned to the Premier league. He was great then.

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Apparently getting alot of abuse from fans in Brazil today, for what I would call a Villa esque performance. ( The bad ones only people who apparently only want a " clogger "often see ) Gave the ball away alot, and was generally weak.

Without sounding like a prick, I'm still waiting for the " Best young DM in England " ( Actual VT quote ) to rise from the ashes like a Phoenix.

His off the ball movement is a weakness, he thinks he has more time then he has when on the ball, he gets dispossessed alot  or is forced to make a quick unsuccessful pass. Maybe the language barrier here was halting his progress, not sure but he definitely needs to show more upon his return if he is to be what we want him to be.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

His off the ball movement is a weakness, he thinks he has more time then he has when on the ball, he gets dispossessed alot  or is forced to make a quick unsuccessful pass. Maybe the language barrier here was halting his progress, not sure but he definitely needs to show more upon his return if he is to be what we want him to be.

Even though i'm giving him stick here.

He will probably need some rest, and an arm around him when he gets back.

reenergise and refocus.

We also seriously need to have a look at his positional strengths, and place him as such.

• Like 2

Him and McGinn are the same, always need too much time on the ball and think they can hold off tackles but inevitably lose the ball then foul a player to get it back.

Even in a friendly vs Walsall as soon as McGinn was on we immediately started to lose space and possession. 

I like both of them and know they have talent and skill, but we need players who can consistently look after the ball better and keep possession in midfield. Even Nakamba is better than them at this and his passing is far more limited.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Don't know if it's because we never enter the Olympic football, but I just don't get it.

Brazil clearly taken it a lot more seriously than the Germans, it's like an exhibition match.

And then when you realise this means Dougie is going to be very late back and probably be better off giving him a decent break and getting him even later it just seems like a nonsense really.

Its really big in Brazil, 2016 was the first time they ever won and nearly always send a good squad. 

Â