Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

37 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

On Douglas Luiz I still have faith that he will be top class, I think Buendia's superior pressing should alleviate some of his defensive workload and he won't be as exposed next season.

100%

• Like 1

I thought he was up there for our best player with jack, Ollie, Martinez and Targett for best player up until the Covid outbreak.

I suspect it knocked him badly. Hopefully he gets enough of a break to come back fully recharged as he could be the difference between a good and a great season. 

16 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

I thought he was up there for our best player with jack, Ollie, Martinez and Targett for best player up until the Covid outbreak.

I suspect it knocked him badly. Hopefully he gets enough of a break to come back fully recharged as he could be the difference between a good and a great season. 

He lives in an apartment building he may not have been able to get much if any exercise or play football at all. 

20 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

He lives in an apartment building he may not have been able to get much if any exercise or play football at all. 

Not that I’m a stalker or anything, but I think he’s moved to a house now. His Instagram seems to show his new place with his Lamborghini outside 😂 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

He doesn't, he has a house now. He was training in his garden during lockdown so I assume he wasn't one of the ones with COVID.

I think he will be a lot better next season when he can look up and potentially see Grealish/Buendia/Traore as options rather than Trez/El Ghazi/Ramsey. I'd prefer to see Sanson with him as well over McGinn in the games we expect to win, I think he's got better ball control and retention, we will see. 

14 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

He is a full Brazil international, but yet we are debating whether he is good enough for us.

That does not seem to make sense. There has got to be something wrong with the way we are using him.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the way we are using him in that half back role , he gives us width dropping in between the Central defenders allowing the fullbacks to push forward which is also instrumental in our pressing game, how often have you seen Konsa press high up the pitch in almost a right back position to stop counter attacks and maintain our pressure,  Luiz gives us more options playing out from the back often coming short to Martinez to pick the ball or As noted above allowing Mings and Konsa to fan out to receive the ball to feed into the channels for Watkins,  personally I don’t feel comfortable when Mcginn or Nakamba pick the ball up in that Half back role as the are not as good under pressure. Luiz gives us that platform to build out of the back and will only get better with better players around him. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

He is a full Brazil international, but yet we are debating whether he is good enough for us.

That does not seem to make sense. There has got to be something wrong with the way we are using him.

I think there is, exactly that.

Despite my doubts about him, in his present role for us, I would not contemplate selling him.....Dougie for me, is a No 8.....I have said it umpteen times on here.

Nothing would give me more joy, than to see Douglas Luiz put in a performance, that I fell is just below the surface.

Playing a No 6 is a difficult role you only have to hear Roy Keanes summing up of Declan Rice ( 2 years ago) it wasn't pretty, but Declan has come on leaps and bounds.....You need plenty of tools in the tool box, and controlled aggression is one.

Doug further forward, would be my suggestion, where his silky skills can be more readily appreciated and his effectiveness more recognised.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the way we are using him in that half back role , he gives us width dropping in between the Central defenders allowing the fullbacks to push forward which is also instrumental in our pressing game, how often have you seen Konsa press high up the pitch in almost a right back position to stop counter attacks and maintain our pressure,  Luiz gives us more options playing out from the back often coming short to Martinez to pick the ball or As noted above allowing Mings and Konsa to fan out to receive the ball to feed into the channels for Watkins,  personally I don’t feel comfortable when Mcginn or Nakamba pick the ball up in that Half back role as the are not as good under pressure. Luiz gives us that platform to build out of the back and will only get better with better players around him. 

We will see, but despite all what you say.......His performances at No6 have not been impressive, this season.

We can talk all day, about players around you, and that in itself can be a cop out......you have to produce stuff yourself,else the players around you, will eventually take your place.....every player in a progressive side has to make a mark, else the coach, will eventually get a player in that does make a mark.

We can all talk about modern formations, and modern ways of looking at things.....but when you play in that role, you have to win the ball and turn it over and start the attack, that is not going to go away, else who else does it. There are basic things that go on in a game, that no modern thinking takes away and recovering the ball is one of them.....That is not his natural trait, is my opinion....sure he does do it, not often enough for me or with enough conviction.

I like Dougie, but not in the role, he plays for us, sorry.

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

To be fair Brazil prolly have their worst generation of players for decades. 

Compare Ronaldo and Ronaldinho to Richarlison and Firminho 😜

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Not that I’m a stalker or anything, but I think he’s moved to a house now. His Instagram seems to show his new place with his Lamborghini outside 😂 

"Lived" then. I imagine it would have been hard to get the exercise he needed in an apartment block

Edit: Guess he moved in before the team had covid. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

For what it’s worth I thought he looked superb when he was played in a number 10 role at Tottenham after the regig

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

"Lived" then. I imagine it would have been hard to get the exercise he needed in an apartment block

Edit: Guess he moved in before the team had covid. 

Aye, he did. I walk past it occasionally, I think he's been in there for more than a year. Lovely house.

Â