Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

He does a great job of closing down and cutting off passing lanes.

There aren't Opta stats for just "being clever" though.

Spot on.

He doesn’t need to make tackles because he spots the danger before that point and breaking up play starts our attacks 😊

• Like 1

Article about Liverpool & Man City possibly losing their Brazilian players in March for World Cup Qualifiers, however if Luiz gets called up, could impact us.....

I think Argentina are in the same position....so that could impact Martinez.....

Apparently FIFA said in September that during COVID teams may not be obliged to release their players if they have to "travel", which in this case they would....i would 100% refuse to release them.

We will take our players! Manchester City and Liverpool could lose their South American stars for the title run-in with Brazil set to call up all of their Premier League players for March's World Cup qualifiers

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9205695/Manchester-City-Liverpool-lose-South-American-stars-title-run.html

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

@TRO not sure if you’ve seen  Fulham much but I reckon the type of DM you want at Villa is playing in that Fulham team. 

Am I right?

Like who?

15 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Article about Liverpool & Man City possibly losing their Brazilian players in March for World Cup Qualifiers, however if Luiz gets called up, could impact us.....

I think Argentina are in the same position....so that could impact Martinez.....

Apparently FIFA said in September that during COVID teams may not be obliged to release their players if they have to "travel", which in this case they would....i would 100% refuse to release them.

We will take our players! Manchester City and Liverpool could lose their South American stars for the title run-in with Brazil set to call up all of their Premier League players for March's World Cup qualifiers

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9205695/Manchester-City-Liverpool-lose-South-American-stars-title-run.html

With all due respect if Villa said Jack can't go and play for England in a vital qualifier how would other Villa fans feel? 

Personally I couldn't care less about international football but for Emi and Luiz it's most likely an honour to represent two of the greatest footballing nations ever. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, andym said:

He's in the top 20 midfielders across the league for clearances and aerial battles won

He's nowhere near the top 10 of those in terms of the actual numbers, but he's not exactly useless defensively

His passing is also a lot better than many of those ahead of him on the list

are you serious?

29 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Although its a concern we only lost two players whereas other lose many more. 

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

He does a great job of closing down and cutting off passing lanes.

There aren't Opta stats for just "being clever" though.

This post is everything, condensed. 

Of course, not everything is perfect but he does far more than bullshit stats can ever show. Watch his work off the ball, he's a machine and wise beyond his years. His positional sense is class. Cutting off a pass/run won't show up on your fantasy premier league points. It will have happened but it will largely get unnoticed.   

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If one of the players we lose is Martinez, it is a bit more than “a concern”, surely? 

Yes but at least there’s a quality replacement in Heaton if it came to that.

Martinez is different class don’t get me wrong but it’s been so long since we saw Heaton I think we’ve forgotten how able he is.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yes but at least there’s a quality replacement in Heaton if it came to that.

Martinez is different class don’t get me wrong but it’s been so long since we saw Heaton I think we’ve forgotten how able he is.

Heaton is weird tbh, He's one of those players where multiple stats sites say he's mediocre but we seem to rate him pretty highly.

And I'm one of those people who do rate him pretty highly.

6 hours ago, Wezbid said:

This post is everything, condensed. 

Of course, not everything is perfect but he does far more than bullshit stats can ever show. Watch his work off the ball, he's a machine and wise beyond his years. His positional sense is class. Cutting off a pass/run won't show up on your fantasy premier league points. It will have happened but it will largely get unnoticed.   

Shhhhh Pepe reads these boards and bases his recruitment plans on them. 

Â