Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

14 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Best player on the pitch for me, want him to cement a starting role for us now.

I think with Nakamba and McGinn, Grealish in his role further forward, it could definitely work. 

Also, I saw the replay of their goal again and I swear that's a foul. The wolves player got the ball but you can't clean out the man to do so. 

• Like 3

Wish we would play him holding with Marvelous as opposed to that swashbuckling #8 that McGinn plays and Jack used to play alongside him. He was brilliant at it against Wolves and him sitting at the base of the midfield while Marv mops up danger will help us keep the ball better and sounds like a nice dynamic.

I struggle to not find his lackadaisical style funny. Phenomenal technical ability, just finds football very easy.

He's made individual errors that have led to a couple of goals this season though so hopefully he's learnt from them. I'm sure costing us more games will help me find it less funny.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I struggle to not find his lackadaisical style funny. Phenomenal technical ability, just finds football very easy.

He’s very much in the Brazilian relaxed, even showboat style. He’s done a couple of no look passes and just finds football effortless. Whereas our other Brazilian, Wesley seems more European in his style, without the natural flair

Edited by mikeyp102

i think he is doing well and has awesome potential, but i struggle to see the balance in midfield at the moment and this is the biggest challenge for Dean is how to get that midfield right, it feels like he has the ingredients but not sure how to best use them. 

I almost think Luiz needs to play further forward and McGinn further back as at the moment John isn't doing enough in attack other than lose the ball a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

i think he is doing well and has awesome potential, but i struggle to see the balance in midfield at the moment and this is the biggest challenge for Dean is how to get that midfield right, it feels like he has the ingredients but not sure how to best use them. 

I almost think Luiz needs to play further forward and McGinn further back as at the moment John isn't doing enough in attack other than lose the ball a lot.

I kinda think a 4231 would suit us best where nakamba and Luiz are the more defensive two, then when we are a bit more attacking they could rotate which one of them breaks foward or sits, so 2 sitters as a base core with the capacity for one to break forward to support the attack as required.

The 3 x "AM/inside forward(s)" would be Grealish, Mcginn and trez/Ghazi.

• Like 2

I have had only praise for Luiz, even when he made that initial rookie error of letting the ball pass through his legs at the top of the box, it was right idea wrong end of the pitch.

when I found out we were in for him I did some research and came across a City fans blog who scouts their development and academy players.

He was adamant that Pep and staff were very excited about Luiz and saw him as Fernandinho's replacement, which is a big role to fill, when you consider Fernandinho's influence.

Upon hearing this I was very eager to see Luiz play, and from the moment I did, I have been very impressed. However, I think those calling for him to play forward are mistaken.

Luiz has the vision, touch and passing range to be a very effective DLP, so I could definitely see him play alongside Nakamba, both in holding roles.

What's nothing short of fantastic for us, is that Luiz also possesses the doggedness, reading of the game and adequate physicality to be a pure defensive midfielder too.

Lastly, he has the composure, technical ability and creativity to be very handy when going forward and in the final third, but I don't think he's an attacking midfielder personally.

For me, he's like a hybrid between Mascherano's reading the game defensively, Pirlo's decision making and range of distribution  and Modric's finesse and technique.

I mean at 21 years old we have a very capable player already, and I truly hope we see him achieve his career aspirations right here with us at Villa.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Personally I am tempted to drop McGinn for Luiz and put Grealish back in midfield. I have said already, that off our best players McGinn is the most expendable. I feel he has left the defense exposed a number of times and does have a habit of over playing the ball when he should really just keep it moving. 

Having said that I'm not sure Luiz is ready to take McGinn's ace in the team. He needs to properly adapt and needs a season or 2 to mature.  For me Luiz (in a season) and Grealish in the middle would be akin to Xavi and Iniesta. Different players but the same kind of result. The balance if Grealish is in the middle is better with Luiz over McGinn.

But if you put Jack on the left then Luiz in the middle with McGinn works nicely too.

22 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Personally I am tempted to drop McGinn for Luiz and put Grealish back in midfield. I have said already, that off our best players McGinn is the most expendable. I feel he has left the defense exposed a number of times and does have a habit of over playing the ball when he should really just keep it moving. 

Having said that I'm not sure Luiz is ready to take McGinn's ace in the team. He needs to properly adapt and needs a season or 2 to mature.  For me Luiz (in a season) and Grealish in the middle would be akin to Xavi and Iniesta. Different players but the same kind of result. The balance if Grealish is in the middle is better with Luiz over McGinn.

But if you put Jack on the left then Luiz in the middle with McGinn works nicely too.

The great thing about Grealish on the left is he almost has a free role. He will constantly swap sides with the other winger and also when he is out of position we have one of the defensive midfields like Luiz covering for him. 

I loved the way Jack popped up all over the pitch against Brighton and bossed the game.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The great thing about Grealish on the left is he almost has a free role. He will constantly swap sides with the other winger and also when he is out of position we have one of the defensive midfields like Luiz covering for him. 

I loved the way Jack popped up all over the pitch against Brighton and bossed the game.

Until we have a top quality winger on both sides it makes sense for Jack to stay on the left. It's simply do we go more solid and controlled with Luiz or more goal threat with Hourihane.

Â