Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This would be an own goal on our part. Suppose it shows we are that far behind Arsenal if they can pick our starters to buy

But would he be a starter for us if we sign a CDM. I would be more concerned if we lost McGinn or Ramsey tbh 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This would be an own goal on our part. Suppose it shows we are that far behind Arsenal if they can pick our starters to buy

Arsenal my arse. We took their best keeper and almost their star kid. They had a better start to the season but we're catching up.
They couldn't even pay their Dinosaur mascot so forgive me if I don't quiver in my boots. And they're not having Dougie.

Just now, PaulC said:

But would he be a starter for us if we sign a CDM. I would be more concerned if we lost McGinn or Ramsey tbh 

Yeah that's where I'm at. Medium term I think Luiz has potential to be better than McGinn. But that certainly is a long way off from where we are today and Ramsey should turn out to be the best of the 3.

So if I had to choose one, I'd lose Luiz. But we run the risk of losing McGinn in the summer and then suddenly we've lost Grealish, Luiz and McGinn in a year. Watkins and Konsa would be next.

We have to keep one of McGinn or Luiz through next season. So if we sell Luiz we absolutely cannot lose McGinn in the summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

We have to keep one of McGinn or Luiz through next season. So if we sell Luiz we absolutely cannot lose McGinn in the summer.

Not necessarily as squads are constantly evolving. If we buy reasonable replacements then we can afford to lose them. Neither are 'once in a generation' talents like Grealish was. The only player in our squad that I think we couldn't get a like for like replacement for is Martinez (plus Coutinho if he signs permanently). 

Edited by Made In Aston

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Yeah that's where I'm at. Medium term I think Luiz has potential to be better than McGinn. But that certainly is a long way off from where we are today and Ramsey should turn out to be the best of the 3.

So if I had to choose one, I'd lose Luiz. But we run the risk of losing McGinn in the summer and then suddenly we've lost Grealish, Luiz and McGinn in a year. Watkins and Konsa would be next.

Luiz and McGinn are very different players.  JJ is, I think, more similar to McGinn (but better close control, quicker and better at linking up with Buendia) and so if he keeps improving then he will take McGinn's shirt.  Now whether signing Bendancur (if we do) means that we don't need two ball controlling midfielders and can play with two potentially more progressive players is another question.  However, part of our problem at the moment is that when Luiz plays in the deeper role, our other 2 midfielders have had a habit of not retained the ball well enough and have ended up dropping deeper and been less effective at linking up with the attacking 3.  To be fair JJ (and Emi Buendia) has stepped up his game massively in recent weeks and so maybe that is no longer a valid concern.

I see stats showing Luiz as one of the top 10 ball retaining young players in top flight European football and I can't help but think that letting him go would be a massive mistake.  The stats suggest that he is doing an awful lot of good work that maybe isn't getting the recognition that it should.  We all have different opinions but for me we're much closer to having a ready-made replacement for (and potential upgrade on) McGinn than we are for Luiz (I'm not sure whether Chuk is or isn't that person).  Admittedly McGinn still has a few seasons in him and it may well be that there are stats showing him in the top 10 U28 year old midfielders in top flight football (which might well convince me to change my mind!!!).  To be completely honest I would prefer to have both - I mean if we end up with a midfield where Luiz and McGinn are on the bench because we have 3 stronger starters, then we'll be in with a serious chance of breaking through into the next level.

• Like 2

I like Luiz a lot and feel he's done a good job as a number 6 but it's clearly not his best position. He's looked a lot better when played as a 8 under Gerrard with Nakamba as a 6. It would be a shame if we sold him just at a time where we're about to bring in a 6 which would allow him to play a bit further forward.

Though, if he's made it clear that he has no intention on signing a new deal then maybe we would be silly to not cash in on him now. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's arguably our best central midfielder. Anyone who doesn't realize this has rocks in their heads. Losing to a rival is backwards step

Absolutely. He's already a very good and will only get better. He's consistently been one of our better players doing an unglamorous task as a holding midfielder. With other signings he'll be able to have more influence further up the pitch. Would be wrong to sell him especially to a team we're competing with. Also can only be a good thing to have two Brazilians in the team. I say keep him unless there is compelling reason to sell. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

I'd be okay with selling him in summer if he doesn't sign a new contract, £25-£30m which could be re-invested.  TBH selling DL and signing Bissouma AND Bentancur would defo be an upgrade in midfield.

Good luck getting £25m for a player with a contract expiring in a few months.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

McGinn and Ramsey have both been rotated out (through choice, or enforced because of suspension/injury) and the midfield didn't skip a beat. Remember when Luiz was out? We were a shambles in the middle. I'd say he's our most important midfielder for now, at least until we get another player like him (looks like we're busy on that front fortunately).

Was that the 2-1 win against Crystal Palace and the 2-0 win against Brighton?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's arguably our best central midfielder. Anyone who doesn't realize this has rocks in their heads. Losing to a rival is backwards step

Key word being arguably. And I’d argue very strongly that he isn’t. 

• Like 1

Â