Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

3 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

I don't believe that we haven't tried to give him a new contract considering how proactive we've been with others , so I'm guessing he's not that bothered about sticking around long term.

It could also be he wants more wages or assurances than we can give him. 

Let's say he's on £60k a week now and he wants £100k, we may just want to ensure he's at that level, or go back and say look £80k is the level and not overpay. Or he wants assurances he'll be played as an 8 and not spending 20 games a season as a 6 when he's better further forward.

He seems content enough, he's actively come out last summer and said he's happy here, it doesnt necessarily mean he's leaving. It seems most likely but there could easily be other things in play.

• Like 1

Who knows? We’ll just have to wait and see.

None of us know what’s gone on, it’s just speculation.

I just hope we manage to keep him here for the long term.

If he does want to leave (no idea if this is the case, seen no indication) then I hope we get a decent fee but in that case I would find it sad and I’m sure he’s going to thrive wherever he goes. There will be regret but we’d just have to move on.

All we can do is see how this pans out but the fact he’s been playing regularly may suggest we want to keep him here.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I think it’s obvious from Gerard’s comments that we are pursuing a DM and an upgrade in that department. Will be a huge help to us if we can get it sorted.

I’m looking forward to seeing Dougie play further forward too though I have appreciated his performances further back, he was amazing during lockdown in our survival season. Has a lot of ability, we need to get the best out of him and let him shine. 

A few more of these please 😁

spacer.png

spacer.png

Superb passing range, makes it look easy:

spacer.png

He helped Brazil to Olympic victory and is a big part of their future, a regular in the national team. This is not a mediocre player by any means, we’d regret letting him go. As SG said, he’s got higher gears to reach (been restricted by the role he had had to play for us) and I hope that happens here.

Worth remembering his contribution to us.

I’m personally sick of the incessant slating of our key players.

100%. I'm a big fan of Dougie so hope we can keep him. But it's probably the same people who have immediately written off Leon Bailey because he's injured. We need all of these players. It's called a squad! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I think it’s obvious from Gerard’s comments that we are pursuing a DM and an upgrade in that department. Will be a huge help to us if we can get it sorted.

I’m looking forward to seeing Dougie play further forward too though I have appreciated his performances further back, he was amazing during lockdown in our survival season. Has a lot of ability, we need to get the best out of him and let him shine. 

A few more of these please 😁

spacer.png

spacer.png

Superb passing range, makes it look easy:

spacer.png

He helped Brazil to Olympic victory and is a big part of their future, a regular in the national team. This is not a mediocre player by any means, we’d regret letting him go. As SG said, he’s got higher gears to reach (been restricted by the role he had had to play for us) and I hope that happens here.

Worth remembering his contribution to us.

I’m personally sick of the incessant slating of our key players.

He desperately needs a goal, particularly now if he is on free kick duty? Think all his goals came in a few month spell a couple of years ago.

12 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

It could also be he wants more wages or assurances than we can give him. 

Let's say he's on £60k a week now and he wants £100k, we may just want to ensure he's at that level, or go back and say look £80k is the level and not overpay. Or he wants assurances he'll be played as an 8 and not spending 20 games a season as a 6 when he's better further forward.

He seems content enough, he's actively come out last summer and said he's happy here, it doesnt necessarily mean he's leaving. It seems most likely but there could easily be other things in play.

Yeah that's true, that wasn't me getting on his back, hope he stays long term!

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is it obvious I'm having a shit day?

Sorry if I came across as condescending buddy. 

Let's just agree to disagree on this one, we both like Bailey at least :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is it obvious I'm having a shit day?

I agreed with a fair bit if what you wrote, even if it came from a bad day-induced mood.

He himself has said he prefers to play further forward.  SG has reiterated the same point. SG said he's playing his where he is due to an injury to Nakamba. Luiz has said he hopes to learn some things by playing a deeper role than he would like, which will make him a better all round footballer.

It's clear that there is no unrest.  And that Luiz still wants to play further forward. My expectation is that the contract delays are down to where the club sees his future role. Maybe he wants assurances he'll be given a role further forward in the future,  but the club can't offer that given the players we have coming through in that position.  Maybe the signing of Coutinho would give him more of a reason to stay and sign an extension.

He's got a very high ceiling and I hope we get to see it reached while he's playing for us, otherwise I expect we'll get way more than we paid for him in return.

Let's all chill and enjoy the ride.

Edited by MrBlack
Typos
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Arsenal got the London pull.

I think it depends how fast we progress under Gerrard.

Don't think we can afford another mid table season if we want to keep our best players.

Well apparently Martinez was off if we finished midtable this season….

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well apparently Martinez was off if we finished midtable this season….

Grealish signed a new contract just over a year ago.

It doesn't mean anything. All it means is we get premium money if someone come for him.

Edited by villalad21

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The comments and quotes lead me to believe that possibly the club don't think he's performing at the levels he should be? They clearly like him and rate him, they just didn't seem to come across too complimentary in my view. 

Yeh it’s not often a manager says a player has been ‘ok’.  

Â