Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

He could easily sign a new contract or be sold. He'll likely lose his place in the team after this window. We will offer him a new contract surely and if he signs then we've got a competitive midfield. Without European football we could loan out a player for 6 months in first half of next season. 

47 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is it obvious I'm having a shit day?

dont worry mate, these things happen 

FWIW most on here just want Villa to be successful just have different sides to it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m sorry to say this but I think Gerrard will eventually replace Luiz, Sanson and even McGinn with better over the next three windows. They are simply not good enough to push Villa into the top six.

I’ve stated this before about Luiz in particular only to be informed by another poster in Luiz’s defence that he was a member of the Brazil squad which probably meant more several years ago than now!

There is currently a real dearth of very good footballers for national managers to choose from so more and more average footballers are being capped by their respective countries.

For me Luiz falls into that bracket. He doesn’t really do anything well enough to take a game by the scruff of the neck and control it. Doesn’t create much and falls way short of being a goal scoring midfielder. Moreover, he’s not tenacious enough in the tackle to be described as a quality DM!

Its no surprise to me that Villa are in the market this window for a DM and maybe one other midfielder. It’s been a major weakness in the Villa side for years and why Villa have been unable to put a consistent run of results together since being promoted from the Championship.

Anyone willing to pay a decent amount for Luiz I’d snap their hands off and so will Gerrard!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Why have we not opened contract talks yet, we have pretty much given everybody a new deal in the last year or so even Davis got a new deal

Certain we've offered him one at some point in the last 18 months.

May not be one on the table right now.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

I agreed with a fair bit if what you wrote, even if it came from a bad day-induced mood.

He hinself has said he prefers to play further forward.  SG has reiterated the same point. Sg said he's playing his where he is due to an injury to Nakamba. Luiz has said he hopes to learn some things by playing a deeper role then he would like, which will make him a better all round footballer.

It's clear that there is no unrest.  And that Luiz still wants to play further forward. My expectation is that the contract delays are down to where the club sees his future role. Maybe he wants assurances he'll be given a role further forward in the future,  but the club can't offer that given the players we have coming through in that position.  Maybe the signing of Coutinho would give him more of a reason to stay and sign an extension.

He's got a very high ceiling and I hope we get to see it reached while he's playing for us, otherwise I expect we'll get way more than we paid for him in return.

Let's all chill and enjoy the ride.

Yes I feel the same way, under normal circumstances I just would have been less aggressive and argumentative with it.

I think this is also why Gerrard is desperate to get European Football and have longer Cup runs etc.

He wants us to have  a high quality squad, and also be able to keep them happy.

Problem is, you don't keep or attract the best players if you can't give them game time.

Tricky situation.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Think it’s worth considering how much and in what ways Doug will be able to improve and offer/contribute more if the “shackles are off” if you will.

Don’t think you can take too much from his stats while playing as our DM and accurately assess how he will do as a CM or less defensive player.

I’d expect him to contribute more (goals and assists, although he’s our leading player in assists right now) but he’s had to do a job for the team because we have no one else who is even adequate for that role right now, since Nakamba got injured.

He’s the only player with a good enough passing range and has the most composure on the ball, that’s why we’ve played him further back and used him to help us in the build up. 

Who else do we have who can take the ball from GK/defence and lead us out from the back? He’s not sloppy in possession like McGinn (who has seemed to improve under SG).

Again, we need a proper defensive midfielder who can focus on interceptions and tackles and screen the defence. Doug has more to his game than that and so has been held back in that regard.

He’d actually be more of an aid as support to a DM…

FWIW under Gerrards system all 3 midfielders have large defensive responsibility with the wide midfielders having to cover for full backs.  

The central midfield has to switch to this role when one or both of his other midfielders push on. For the most part Luiz has done ok in this role but I do agree with many that a more aggressive player that can make up a lot of ground could do a better a job.

Nakamba looked great in this role. Luiz looked good out wide. 

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Can't help feeling we would really regret selling him. I think if we get a proper DCM, Luiz as an 8 is a potentially great player. We saw it against Man City. The problem is accommodating everyone. At present he would have to oust either Ramsey or McGinn. Neither option is particularly palatable. Just the thoughts of him turning out for Liverpool is horrible. He's still only 23. Maybe United throwing cash at us for McGinn would solve that dilemma for us.

I'm mostly worried that both happen

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

I'm mostly worried that both happen

I think we're masters of our own destiny to at least some degree. In that we don't need cash. I'd be confident that if one happened, the other wouldn't. Or it'd be an obscene amount of money that would make a replacement very easy to acquire. But throwing both scenarios around in my head, I think I'd prefer to sell McGinn all things considered. I really think with the imminent arrival of the DCM, we're going to see a different Dougie.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

Can't help feeling we would really regret selling him. I think if we get a proper DCM, Luiz as an 8 is a potentially great player. We saw it against Man City. The problem is accommodating everyone. At present he would have to oust either Ramsey or McGinn. Neither option is particularly palatable. Just the thoughts of him turning out for Liverpool is horrible. He's still only 23. Maybe United throwing cash at us for McGinn would solve that dilemma for us.

I prefer Luiz to McGinn. Better player, younger and higher ceiling.

• Like 3

Â