Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

32 isn't awful, but yes, he wants to be averaging 60+ a game if he really wants to make his mark.

The sad thing is that we got very close to signing a player (JWP) who averaged 64 passes per game last season:

From https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_pass

Our man Dougie was a bit further down the list of midfielders:

Personally I think his stats are decent (especially for his age) - last season was an average of 42 passes per game.

But if he wants to be a really quality deep-lying midfielder, he needs to be showing for the ball more aggressively - demanding the ball constantly. He has the ability to take control of games, as others have said.

And yes, I realise that stats don't tell the whole story. A clever pass through the lines is more important than a little lay off to the full back. But these numbers give a decent sense of who is really recycling possession well.

But imo the issue we have is more that Leeds managed to get Dallas, Klich, Alioski and Phillips into that top 40 of midfielders for total passes. Whereas we only managed Luiz and McGinn.

The answer isn't replacing Luiz - it's adding more midfield quality around him.

i think, looking at this, it kinda shows we are (or were) a very quick back to front team, not overly concerned with possession or passing, just pumping it to Mike Lubb and the forwards (aka - a team who operates on the break a lot).

• Like 1

He's miles better at the base of our midfield than Nakamba.

Dosen't mean we can't get an upgrade as there's plenty of DMs in world football better than him but amazed with general football ability some on here rate Nakamba ahead of Luiz.

Anyway seen he isn't in the Brazil squad for next round of qualifiers so that's a boost for us aswell, two Emi's in the Argentina squad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He's miles better at the base of our midfield than Nakamba.

Dosen't mean we can't get an upgrade as there's plenty of DMs in world football better than him but amazed with general football ability some on here rate Nakamba ahead of Luiz.

Anyway seen he isn't in the Brazil squad for next round of qualifiers so that's a boost for us aswell, two Emi's in the Argentina squad.

I doubt even one person has suggested that they rate Nakambas " football ability " over Douglas Luiz. It's about who performs better in the set position, against certain opposition, in a certain system, and in certain form.

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I doubt even one person has suggested that they rate Nakambas " football ability " over Douglas Luiz. It's about who performs better in the set position, against certain opposition, in a certain system, and in certain form.

Newcastle is also a very specific game. 

Probably the most passive team in the league. Perfect opponent for Luiz. 

The next games we will face more aggression and I fear we will see the old Luiz performances 

Be delighted if he proved me wrong 

Edited by villalad21

52 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fair, but Nakamba is shite, I’d have Douglas Luiz over him in any game, any shape.

If the player we all wished Nakamba was turned up here, then yes this would be more of a considersation.

Obviously we’d all love to have a player like Ndidi in the squad, but we don’t. Until that happens, Dougie is one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

And yesterday's opposition it was Luiz by a mile. Fed up seeing Nakamba played against the weaker teams as him trying to move the ball quickly v likes of Watford and Sheffield United is painful to watch.

Maybe it’s too simplistic but…

Luiz is a “front foot” player…

Nakamba is a “back foot” player…

I believe that our intention is to continue to become more of a front foot team (which is what I would like to see) that attacks and takes teams on rather than sit back, defend for the vast majority of the game and rely on the odd counter attack or break away…

Nakamba is a useful member of the squad and seems to be a good personality… but we can only have so many players and need to upgrade where we can. Would be great to have a superior DM in the squad… don’t know if we are going to sign such a player though.

I’m sure Dean values ability and quality on the ball more than anything… which is why Luiz is first choice and has played so often for us… we haven’t had a better option… although I class him as more of a DLP or potential regista rather than an out and out DM (if compared to Milan, they had Pirlo as the deepest player, Gattuso ahead of him to do the dirty/defensive work and a more creative or attacking player at the front of the midfield 3 such as Seedorf or Kaka, what a player he was btw).

Luiz is so much more valuable, has greater quality, is much younger and has much more potential… 

Another (overly?) simplistic point… would Nakamba even get called up by Brazil, let alone get in the side (if he was Brazilian of course 🤣)?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Maybe it’s too simplistic but…

Luiz is a “front foot” player…

Nakamba is a “back foot” player…

I believe that our intention is to continue to become more of a front foot team (which is what I would like to see) that attacks and takes teams on rather than sit back, defend for the vast majority of the game and rely on the odd counter attack or break away…

Nakamba is a useful member of the squad and seems to be a good personality… but we can only have so many players and need to upgrade where we can. Would be great to have a superior DM in the squad… don’t know if we are going to sign such a player though.

I’m sure Dean values ability and quality on the ball more than anything… which is why Luiz is first choice and has played so often for us… we haven’t had a better option… although I class him as more of a DLP or potential regista rather than an out and out DM (if compared to Milan, they had Pirlo as the deepest player, Gattuso ahead of him to do the dirty/defensive work and a more creative or attacking player at the front of the midfield 3 such as Seedorf or Kaka, what a player he was btw).

Luiz is so much more valuable, has greater quality, is much younger and has much more potential… 

Another (overly?) simplistic point… would Nakamba even get called up by Brazil, let alone get in the side (if he was Brazilian of course 🤣)?

I think your right.

We want to have a higher press on opposition teams and until we can get Ollie, Sanson and Bailey in the team, it’s not quite as effective. 

When we did have the high press working well last season, he had his best games, intelligent passing and made the trains run in midfield.

On 21/08/2021 at 08:38, villan-scott said:

I think the biggest compliment I can give you is that I would have had no clue that English wasn’t your first language! 

On topic - As for Douglas Luiz, I am sure his English is fine now. As has been mentioned, part of his Visa requirements was an English exam. 

As much as what you say encourages me, but I still lack a lot in terms of the language. Even much worse when I’m in conversations. It’s not that I don’t understand or people don’t understand me, but that fluent part is so hard for me. I had a very hard lesson from one of my English teachers in the university, I was considered better than average (by the standards back home), then we had a writing test. I like to write generally (I’ve been writing in forums since I was in school although mostly by my language). So I found myself writing almost double the needed words in that exam. He almost gave the worst result in the whole class. I was amazed by then, as I know that I can’t be worse than some of my friends atleast. He told me then that you need to know your limits to improve. It’s not about trying some hard ways of writing, it’s about making it simple and write. I’ve never forgot that from him. 
Again I think VT have improved my language more than I could imagine, I’ve been here for more than 10 years, between reading and posting. It’s not like twitter were it’s only could of letters. Here there are proper discussions, detailed ones. A lot of new vocabularies I’ve been getting from here. 

Sorry for getting out of the topic again, but as the language barrier for Luiz was discussed, I found myself discussing my experience in that matter and how was the effect of VT in it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QldVilla said:

I think your right.

We want to have a higher press on opposition teams and until we can get Ollie, Sanson and Bailey in the team, it’s not quite as effective. 

When we did have the high press working well last season, he had his best games, intelligent passing and made the trains run in midfield.

I think he’d be fine in 433, our midfield as a whole struggles when we’re playing 4231.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think he’d be fine in 433, our midfield as a whole struggles when we’re playing 4231.

We beat Liverpool 7-2 playing 4231 with Luiz McGinn amongst other wins so this argument doesn't fly

One of the big differences between this and the Watford game was the fact he drops deep to pick up the ball from Martinez / CBs, turns and plays a forward pass rather than a hopeful lump forward. 

Not saying it was a great performance, but it was better than what we had last week.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i think, looking at this, it kinda shows we are (or were) a very quick back to front team, not overly concerned with possession or passing, just pumping it to Mike Lubb and the forwards (aka - a team who operates on the break a lot).

Yeah that's also indicitive of the fact the previous tactics were just 'Get the ball to Jack'. I know not everyone rates him, but I think Luiz could play a very prominant role in a more progressive side that plays through the thirds. People also moan about his passing numbers being low, which I get, but if you pick the ball up deep and the other midfielders run away from you, instead of towards you, he's only ever going to have a one pass option, rather than a give and go etc. 

Let's also not forget he's not long turned 23, and has played football almost continuously since project restart with virtually no break. Players can burn out or become jaded, it doesn't make them a bad player. Get this guy well rested and with a more progressive mentality in and around him he could easily be one of our most important players.

• Like 2

Wonderful desire to drive the ball forward, with the skill in tight spaces to find a way to do just that. Can overdo it on the ball.

Great awareness of when to make a layoff pass to someone driving forward with greater momentum, or to attempt to play someone in.

As for finishing on goal, he's capable of raising supporters bums out of seats by the thousands, and putting opponent hands in heads. Like his passing, this could use some honing to deliver consistently.

I think he's one of the best players we have, certainly one of the best prospects. However I've been out of the loop over the break from last season.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

On 22/08/2021 at 13:02, MaVilla said:

two years left on his contract.

Is he gonna sign a new one?!!?

If not we prob need to offload him by next summer at the latest.

We should be offering him a new deal now. He's a good player and wouldn't cost a fortune in wages to keep. 

• Like 1

Â