Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

7 hours ago, Indigo said:

If we were linked to him this summer and people watched the below he'd be getting raved about as the missing link. Big facts.

I genuinely don’t think he looks that great in this video. He was really good after project re-start 1 though so we know he can do it. He just seems to have big lapses in concentration at key times.
The Brentford goal on Saturday should never have happened. Luiz should have prevented the ball coming back into the centre of the box but he got his tackle technique all wrong. If he opens his body up there is no way that ball reaches Toney. It’s these little lapses that have been letting him down. He needs to cut these down and he will be a really good player for us again.

• Like 1

My MotM on Saturday. Brentford’s goal wasn’t remotely his fault from my viewpoint, unless he was supposed to be marking Toney/ the space Toney was in, which appeared to be either Axel or Carney’s job.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

My MotM on Saturday. Brentford’s goal wasn’t remotely his fault from my viewpoint, unless he was supposed to be marking Toney/ the space Toney was in, which appeared to be either Axel or Carney’s job.

Agreed, no chance was he responsible for the goal. 

He's not a destroyer but he's clearly the kind of midfield player Smith wants there. 

He allows us to play out from the back comfortably. 

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think there has been a generalised bout of amnesia amongst the fanbase when it comes to how good he actually was during that period.

Couldn't agree any more with this statement, it sums up my feelings completely.

Don't understand when people claim to be unsure of what exactly Luiz is good at. We've seen what he's good at - at his best he reads the game brilliantly, intercepts the ball well, is a decent tackler and is comfortable on the ball with a good range of passing which allows us to build from the back.

He had a tricky time of it last season, but he's still so young and I fully back him to get back to his best this year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I agree that there were a catalogue of errors but there is no way that the cross should ever have made it into the box. It was a half hearted effort from Doug to prevent it. Watch it again. I would be surprised if you don’t agree.

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I agree that there were a catalogue of errors but there is no way that the cross should ever have made it into the box. It was a half hearted effort from Doug to prevent it. Watch it again. I would be surprised if you don’t agree.

Just watched it again. He could have done better but it’s not like he failed to prevent a great cross. It was a shit little cut back that happened to get flicked on. 

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Just did. The difficulty was the Brentford wide player was inside the box, so he couldn't dive in to really try and block the cross.

And then look at Toney in acres

Capture.PNG

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Just did. The difficulty was the Brentford wide player was inside the box, so he couldn't dive in to really try and block the cross.

Capture.PNG

They’re all over the place. Does zonal marking continue in second play of set piece or does it become man to man? 

Personally I think Doug should have steamed in and cleared that ball to prevent any initial cross. That was not a difficult one to defend imo, just more determination needed. It was then a good flick on to create the chance for Toney. 

Certainly wasn't the worst goal to concede but definitely could have done better all round. 

5 hours ago, blandy said:

Capture.PNG

From that picture I'd say young in no man's land and Targett doubling up at the front post (even though he's the wrong side...) is the bigger problem 

I was a bit harsh on cash saying he should have pushed out too

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

From that picture I'd say young in no man's land and Targett doubling up at the front post (even though he's the wrong side...) is the bigger problem 

I was a bit harsh on cash saying he should have pushed out too

Yeah. A picture of slightly before the cross shows Douggie going out towards the crosser, Cash is marking the number 5, Axel has 2 men to cover and Targett no-one.

Axel (at the actual match) I thought it was him who had lost his man, but the video shows Targett is the one who switches off. You could also make a case that they have a man free at the back post at this point.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

I'm not sure anyone's doing anything especially wrong there. 9 times out of 10 that ball will come where Targett and Axel are at the near post. Konsa is goal side as he should be which allows the near post player to get on to redirect the ball first. Toney in space is the biggest problem but he gambles on the cut back and has no-one with him.

Seems we concede a lot of goals where it's just a run of bad luck.

53 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah. A picture of slightly before the cross shows Douggie going out towards the crosser, Cash is marking the number 5, Axel has 2 men to cover and Targett no-one.

Axel (at the actual match) I thought it was him who had lost his man, but the video shows Targett is the one who switches off. You could also make a case that they have a man free at the back post at this point.

Capture.PNG

I'd say the issue here is Konsa has drifted further left than the Left Back. It's probably just smart by Brentford because I assume they knew Konsa would be on Pontus and they could pull him out leaving Toney with a 50/50 against Tuanzebe. Then gotten doubly lucky that nobody picked him up at all.

Targett I suppose should pick up somebody but I'd also suggest Young is just doubling up on Konsa's man.

The leader is what's really missing, even if they get pulled about a bit, somebody should have been put on Toney in the way Konsa has been on his man (looks like Pontus?) And if nobody is, the leader should've been pointing out their danger man for somebody to cover And I think Konsa or Young should be doing that.

It's hard to really blame somebody specific other than somebody should've realised their striker should've been marked. but whatever way you look at it you can't blame Dougie for pressuring the crosser imo

1 minute ago, Condimentalist said:

We need a big season from him given lack of midfield reinforcements. Last couple of game he's been decent, hopefully can keep it up. 

Saying the same earlier. A lot of our season depends on him playing very well. If he plays like he did last season, we’ll struggle a bit.

FWIW, I thought he was excellent against Brentford. 

6 hours ago, birdman said:

Personally I think Doug should have steamed in and cleared that ball to prevent any initial cross. That was not a difficult one to defend imo, just more determination needed. It was then a good flick on to create the chance for Toney. 

Certainly wasn't the worst goal to concede but definitely could have done better all round. 

On the edge of the box and risk conceding a penalty?

Â