Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, weedman said:

Just on this, while I would rather no clause obviously, I'm not overly worried about it - however he doesn't have to be "good enough for City to want him back", he only has to be good enough to be sold for more than the clause is worth.

If he does great and is suddenly valued at £30m+ and their buy back is £20m, they'll just buy him for £20m then sell him for £30m the next day.

I'm generally not worried though because I'm sure in circumstances like that they'd offer us the opportunity to buy out the clause for X amount first, so we'd effectively have first refusal presuming he wants to stay.

All this is assuming his value doubles in the next couple of years

I think that could be spot on. Instead of them buying him from us and reselling him for a £10m profit, if we want him we just give them the £10m. 

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

City can take him back whenever they wish, and we cannot stop them doing so. And we cannot sell him. So to my mind he is really not ours.

If we owned him they would not be able to do that. And we could sell him if we wished.

So he is as close to a loan as you can get without it actually being called a loan.

Basically both City and us will make money from the deal, which is the whole point of the structure of this `transfer'.

Hopefully he does well for us and both clubs make money on the deal, but let's not pretend he is our player in the way that our other contracted players are. 

Were you involved in contract negotiations?

How do you say this so confidently and conclusively?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Nathan Ake has a buy back clause that Chelsea inserted when he signed for Bournemouth. He signed for 20 million and the buy back clause is 40 million.

Yerry Mina was signed by Everton for 27 million from Barcelona and his buy back clause is 54 million.

This clause is becoming standard with bigger clubs and we shouldn't lose sleep over it.

As others have pointed out, Douglas would have to do very well for us, and progress to the Brazilian full international team as a regular player before Man City could sensibly activate that clause.

Activating it just to buy back and sell if they still couldn't get a work permit would damage their reputation and limit their ability to do similar deals in the future.

It's a great deal for us in that we can buy a very good player who would not normally be within our scope. 

I think even if he doesn't become a full Brazilian regular, even if Man City want him back just as a secondary option, it will mean he has had an exceptional time with us. We're well, well behind them at the minute.

• Like 1

Even if you only view it as a fancy loan in which we make a fair chunk of cash if he ever becomes a regular for Brazil, we do alright out of that deal? 

I mean let's face it, where we are right now we lose him if he becomes a regular for Brazil anyway. 

2 hours ago, brommy said:

Or... “Don’t worry about the buy-back clause”; here’s why.

Seems reasonable.

Which is essentially what everyone was debating anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️

30 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

So what does everyone think to the buy-back clause?

Knowing what the clause actually is would give some more relevance to much of this thread. Actually signing the player too! 😂

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it also meant we could loan Janujaz.

I don't think we can because we've already got 0 players in on loan from Man Utd. Unless we use a loan-back clause. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

City can take him back whenever they wish, and we cannot stop them doing so. And we cannot sell him. So to my mind he is really not ours.

If we owned him they would not be able to do that. And we could sell him if we wished.

So he is as close to a loan as you can get without it actually being called a loan.

Basically both City and us will make money from the deal, which is the whole point of the structure of this `transfer'.

Hopefully he does well for us and both clubs make money on the deal, but let's not pretend he is our player in the way that our other contracted players are. 

Barcelona had a buy back clause for Adama. We sold him to Boro I think. So we could sell him. 

Â