Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

28 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We play a style of football that will be attractive to Man City in terms of his development. As utterly brilliantly mad as that sounds. 

Didnt Smith mention a few times how much he admires Pep Guardiola’s methods? 

I absolutely love watching City play. They make the game look so simple but they also work incredibly hard to win the ball back.  

Smith is signing players that are not just good on the ball but will also put in a shift every game.

I think he wants to see a similar style.

edit: Problem is we will probably be on the backfoot in a lot of games so will have to adapt. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

edit: Problem is we will probably be on the backfoot in a lot of games so will have to adapt. 

Why? Even Lambert found a way to control possession, the fact we were **** shit with it is kinda besides the point. 

I don't see our possession stats changing all that much. 55-60%.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didnt Smith mention a few times how much he admires Pep Guardiola’s methods? 

I absolutely love watching City play. They make the game look so simple but they also work incredibly hard to win the ball back.  

Smith is signing players that are not just good on the ball but will also put in a shift every game.

I think he wants to see a similar style.

And similar results. 

• Like 1

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why? Even Lambert found a way to control possession, the fact we were **** shit with it is kinda besides the point. 

I don't see our possession stats changing all that much. 55-60%.

Lambert just had us slowly passing it around at the back until we gave it away or hoofed it. 

To be fair I have no idea how we’ll play.

4 hours ago, brommy said:

On a serious note, if Douglas Luiz is a DCM, surely we won’t bid for Phillips. If Dougie is a box-to-box midfielder, who does he play ahead of? McGinn?!??

Do we need a specific holding midfielder. If coached properly and communicate on the pitch, you can have two box to box players. One goes, one stays and vice versa. Maybe only against the top sides would we need a specific dm. We’ll be looking press higher up the pitch anyway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Do we need a specific holding midfielder. If coached properly and communicate on the pitch, you can have two box to box players. One goes, one stays and vice versa. Maybe only against the top sides would we need a specific dm. We’ll be looking press higher up the pitch anyway. 

It’s total football Deaniola style. 

Fluid Football is Deano's aim.

I can only think of perhaps Everton with Gueye, and two seasons back Chelsea with Kante playing with a one dimensional defensive midfield holding player.

It's an outdated style, that has to be improved on by having a DM who can break up play and double up as a playmaker.

That's a description of Douglas in my opinion.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I can only think of perhaps Everton with Gueye, and two seasons back Chelsea with Kante playing with a one dimensional defensive midfield holding player.

It's an outdated style, that has to be improved on by having a DM who can break up play and double up as a playmaker.

I think we’ve been dependent on a DM in the recent past because our central defence was poor and needed a lot of protection. We have a much stronger defence now and so as you say, we need good ball playing central midfielders who will defend when we’re defending as one of their overall duties. 

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think we’ve been dependent on a DM in the recent past because our central defence was poor and needed a lot of protection. We have a much stronger defence now and so as you say, we need good ball playing central midfielders who will defend when we’re defending as one of their overall duties. 

Disagree. That would stifle the effectiveness of both Grealish and Mcginn

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

Spot on, we used Whelan because our defence was vunerable.

It wasn't Deano football, but I'm sure he was working on the basis that he would sacrifice his preferred style if we could only stumble across the play off line.

The rest is history.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Disagree. That would stifle the effectiveness of both Grealish and Mcginn

So you want none ball playing central midfielders. How does that help Jack and SJM? Surely players who are comfortable on the ball are always an asset to their team mates? 

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

My guess is that when/if Douglas is out of the team, McGinn will play DM, with somone else coming in alongside Jack (Hourihane/Lansbury/new signing). 

That what I always thought would happen last year but Smith nerve once tried McGinn deep. Maybe he feels he's missed too much further forward.

Certainly wouldn't rule it out.

I think some people are getting too bogged down in the terminology and taking the "defensive" in defensive midfielder too literally.

Most sides play with a designated sitting player and we aren't any different under Smith. I'd imagine Luiz is being signed to play the role, to remove the need for Jack/McGinn to drop deep and to dictate the pace of the game.

Really doesn't look like a DM in that Barca video.

When we really clicked last season was when we had Whelan in and fully released Jack and John.

Obviously we could get away with Glenn in the champ and this is a different kettle of fish. But we have to be sure whoever plays there can monitor defensive situations well. Hourihane for example really struggled, and I think he's a fairly smart footballer.

Edited by Tomaszk

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

You could argue makelele created the role in its old form and Fernandinho took it to another level.

When you do play on the front foot though you will get hit on the break so you that need at energetic midfielder that can track and cover. 

Its a very important role in the modern game and a position that will cost teams millions. 

Barcelonna have bought that Dutch lad that is fantastic at it. It’s crucial to how the play.

Â