Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

29 minutes ago, mallett said:

I thought that Little's team played better football in terms of organisation than Ron's, the passing and movement was generally better. Ron's team had more flair and was more capable of the spectacular.

Both sides had bags of character though. It was no hardship following Villa in those days.

• Like 4

Gotta laugh at the City fans though , moaning how they cant get a work permit for him so how can we. Like he'd even get in their matchday squad they just like collecting players like Pokemon cards its disgusting.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Here he is against Barca

It looks like we might have the most fouled midfield next season. Despite not being huge, he looks strong. Looks composed and makes good decisions. Also, he has Douglas Luiz on his shirt FYI. 

This signing will be great news for Wesley as no doubt Brazil will be watching DL so hopefully Wesley can catch their eye if he performs for us.

Yes he does look strong, reminds me of how McGinn plays. Still nothing on the OS. Fingers crossed !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

I agree it's not am easy choice and it's very tempting to see this as an ideal opportunity to get a player who's beyond our reach. It's the long term affect I'm looking at and in 2 years time when we're losing our best player for £15m (£30m taking away the initial fee we paid for him) it will disrupt the squad and could start another exodus of players like the Barry sale did with Milner , Young and that Representative for Wellingborough Downing . 

On not having our own talent .....£15m could buy a young talented player who could grow into something special , McGinn or Grealish type prospect.

It would  not be devastating to have him  from a footballing point of view but from a long term  business point of view, on asset growth it raises questions and that's where the future of the club is. Look at Bournemouth with Ming's UTV  

In a perfect world where every single player we sign precisely matches our recruitment strategy you are probably correct. Overall, our buys clearly demonstrate that our strategy DOES focus on the younger player with time to develop and improve hence increasing their value whilst also aligning with DS’ style and system. We need to accept that not EVERY single purchase will completely tick every one of our recruitment criteria as we are a ‘new’ PL team and so a gamble to some players. We will have to be creative in the early years to establish ourselves so that following this period we can then pick and choose precisely the players we want and on what terms we sign them. 

IMO our current strategy makes excellent footballing and business sense. 

• Like 1

After watching the highlights of Luiz against Barcelona I can't see Kalvin Phillips getting into the team ahead of him. So for me it makes it seem unlikely we will get Phillips as well. I can't see us  spending £20m plus on Phillips as a backup DM.

On the other hand I think we need a back up DM as Luiz's injury record ain't good and it is one of the most important positions in Dean Smith's formation. Are we being linked to anyone else for DM? I have never really understood why we didn't try McGinn there and push Hourihane into McGinn's more advanced role.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mallett said:

After watching the highlights of Luiz against Barcelona I can't see Kalvin Phillips getting into the team ahead of him. So for me it makes it seem unlikely we will get Phillips as well. I can't see us  spending £20m plus on Phillips as a backup DM.

On the other hand I think we need a back up DM as Luiz's injury record ain't good and it is one of the most important positions in Dean Smith's formation. Are we being linked to anyone else for DM? I have never really understood why we didn't try McGinn there and push Hourihane into McGinn's more advanced role.

My guess is that when/if Douglas is out of the team, McGinn will play DM, with somone else coming in alongside Jack (Hourihane/Lansbury/new signing). 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My guess is that when/if Douglas is out of the team, McGinn will play DM, with somone else coming in alongside Jack (Hourihane/Lansbury/new signing). 

The trouble with that is we'd then have less of McGinn's great attacking. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mallett said:

On topic - I like this signing. We need to stop worrying about the buy back clause.

Man City can buy any of our players they want to. The buy back clause only affects how much they have to pay. Are you that bothered about our bottom line (many of you have been insulting Brentford fans for this!)? I am sure we will make a profit but won't get market value. If Douglas has played well enough for us that Man City want to buy him then we did well out of the deal.

Plus don't worry about something which might never happen. Man City are trying to play a long game but these deals rarely actually result in a buy back in football because everything is so short term. Man City have just bought a £65m player in Douglas's position and still have Fernandinho. How long will Pep be there? If a new manager comes in the whole playing style will change (nobody else has quite managed to play football the same as Pep's teams despite trying). Other possibilities:- Luiz might not come to the end of his contract when Citey are looking to buy; They buy another £65m player to because of an injury; Luiz might develop in a different position; Luiz might settle in at Villa so he doesn't want to move or he prefers to play rather than sit on the bench; He might be injured / out of form at the point when Citey needed that sort of player etc. etc.

Villa have agreed to the clause because that is what it took to seal the deal. Get over it and move on.

“Don’t worry about the buy-back clause”

...*goes on to write 24 lines about the buy-back clause*

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Assume he isn't announced yet?

I assume Luiz and Engles are flying to USA to meet the team and therefore will need a kip and so on before doing a few shirt holding photos for the media team to announce it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

If we sign douglas, it won't be long before the younger villa fans start asking @dont_do_it_doug. how his username relates to douglas Luiz and why shouldn't Luiz do it??

nervous doug GIF by NickRewind

Whereas us more mature fans know it’s all about the real Doug (see GIF for details).

• Like 3

I will be hugely disappointed if this one doesn't happen now. These are exactly the sort of players we should be looking to bring in to compliment our home grown talent. This lad in the middle with McGinn and Grealish could tear arseholes out of half the premiership midfields if they click. Love how effortless he patrols in front of the back four keeping everything ticking. He is exactly what we need.    

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

“Don’t worry about the buy-back clause”

...*goes on to write 24 lines about the buy-back clause*

Or... “Don’t worry about the buy-back clause”; here’s why.

Seems reasonable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mallett said:

Villa have agreed to the clause because that is what it took to seal the deal. Get over it and move on.

Yep. 

I’m still shocked by the amount of people who don’t understand how these clauses work. 

Villa wont have wanted this clause. We didn’t just chuck it in for a laugh. 

Without it the player wouldn’t have signed. We deemed it a suitable compromise to have the clause in there

• Like 2

The club is signing ballplaying defenders who could step up into midfield, attacking fullbacks, midfielders like Luiz (and existing players like McGinn) who are hard to define as defensive or attacking midfielders - I think we aren’t thinking so much in positional boxes. Talk of “is he a DM or isn’t he” is, I think, going to prove to be irrelevant to how this team sets up. I’m excited to see it.

• Like 1

Â