Björn Engels

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

A rare sighting of the obscure Lesser Spotted Engels has been photographed and posted on the Villa FB page.

At Bodymoor.

In training kit.

Nah, I don't believe it, it can't be, it must be a photoshop. Next you will be telling me you once spotted an even rarer Ivo Stas in a Villa Kit. 😀

11 hours ago, rjw63 said:

A rare sighting of the obscure Lesser Spotted Engels has been photographed and posted on the Villa FB page.

At Bodymoor.

In training kit.

Nah, it’s not him. Not enough people in the mirror in the background.

• 2 weeks later...

Be interesting to see if he's on the bench for the Chelsea game, because as much as Smith doesn't like/trust/rate him or whatever, with Mings suspended we've no other central defensive cover.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

As I've said before I just don't buy the constant injuries, I'm convinced there is another cause of his prolonged absences.

Ye, obviously i dunno what has gone on, he has clearly had injuries, maybe a prolonged niggle that he cant get rid of, but as you say, aside from that something doesnt smell right, his long term absence (nearly a year now??), just doesnt make sense.

what is even stranger is the almost secretive silence on it.....

Edited by MaVilla

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well I imagine he'll be riding the pine next game. If he isn't, and he isn't injured, that really would suggest he's done here. 

Are we really writing off another player again??? Just when we've witnessed the resurgence of Hause and AEG. 

None of us know what's going on. Why not just be patient? 

• Like 1

I'm gutted about Engels. When he first played for us I thought he'd be the one to push on, he looked decent at the start of last season. Now we don't even know when we'll see him again.

Really hope his head hasn't gone after the spurs game last season. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened, for example Karius after his Champions League howlers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

As I've said before I just don't buy the constant injuries, I'm convinced there is another cause of his prolonged absences.

In fairness, when he was at Bruges he was an absolute crock. Fairly sure he did his ACL at least once or something. He's had a couple of serious injuries in his career, so a few niggling ones are not beyond the realms of possibility.

I do buy that he's very injury prone, and, following game-costing mistakes like at Spurs last season, he's very down the picking order even if fully fit. Smith doesn't rate him, the same way Guilbert doesn't feature.

Edited by The_Steve

After half a dozen games last season in this very thread, I boldly, and quite obviously wrongly suggested that he would be our player of the season. 

I've no idea if anything has gone on behind the scenes, if he is just injury prone, or Smith simply doesn't fancy him. Whatever it is, it's a shame, I really did think he was going to be some player. 

It could also be that he is simply not good enough. He looked good in his debut, but he has also looked slow on the turn, a bit fumbly, and made some howlers. Injuries now and then doesn't help either. If I remember correctly he had a couple of seasons in Belgium, a season in Greece and one in France, but didn't really hit the heights anywhere. Apparently scouted by Brentford, so they saw him as a Championship player. He has been mentioned and been around the Belgium squad, but hasn't really got in the squad.

He is obviously talented and could perhaps develop into a good player, but it may also be that he simply will not be good enough. Even if he is injury free and gets into form I'm not convinced he is a player for us where we are now. Now we aim higher.

Hope he proves me wrong though 🙂 

Â