Björn Engels

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, Woody1000 said:

I think he’s a decent defender in the right league. His lack of pace over 5-10 yards and the fact that he turns like a bus make him a liability it the PL.

Depends, I think he'd work very well in a team that parks the bus. Much like Hause 

• Like 1

Didn’t realise the weirdness of this signing. A double transfer effectively in the same transfer window. We signed him from Reims after they had triggered his release clause (half the price of what we paid) following a successful loan the previous season. Don’t know how I missed that.

I can't remember a player who looked such a steal and then such a dud in the space of a few months.

Horribly exposed by Shane Long and downhill from then on. His performance against spurs probably destroyed any trust the coaching staff had left in him. I'm all for moving him on and replacing him this summer. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Would you say that's because of injuries, lack of ability, not being rated by DS or something else? Or a bit of all perhaps.

No idea to be honest, just the impression I get given his prolonged absence and the lack of any real definitive reason.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think Smith has decided he is simply just not athletic enough for the PL. Its  a shame because his actual defending is very good but has no pace.

If that's the case then it's a failure of scouting. He didn't become that way overnight and his physical attributes would/should have been known before he arrived.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

If that's the case then it's a failure of scouting. He didn't become that way overnight and his physical attributes would/should have been known before he arrived.

Hence Suso getting his P45. I guess they must have  looked more at his statistics and the price range for Engels rather than actual scouting.

• Like 1

I don't believe in the conspiracies about him being in a bomb squad or anything like that. Otherwise they would have already got a replacement, just like they ruthlessly did for RB and GK. They can't expect to go into the season with 3 center backs. I'm sure we'll see him again when he's fit. 

• Like 3

It's virtually impossible to know what's going on isn't it? Could just as easily be a mental thing as a physical injury. I quite liked him and thought his start to the season was very good, even if he had that howler mid season. He also seemed like a quite likeable chap, though that's just what he came across as from the TV. 

Best of luck to him anyway. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I don't believe in the conspiracies about him being in a bomb squad or anything like that. Otherwise they would have already got a replacement, just like they ruthlessly did for RB and GK. They can't expect to go into the season with 3 center backs. I'm sure we'll see him again when he's fit. 

Same with Samatta. Ruthless is the correct term.

Â