Björn Engels

Delphinho123

No idea what the situation but it's got to be too early to write him off just yet?

He's only played 16 games! Upto the Liverpool game at the start of November, there were some very decent performances in there. That game was our wall in terms of our season, one we smacked straight into, one too many losing points from a winning position. The whole team lost a huge amount of confidence after that. 

There was talk about him being called up for Belgium (in October?) but Martinez said he was not in the squad because he was injured, then played for us a couple of days later.

There was talk of injury, illness and just not being thought much of. Hopefully he's come through whatever it has been and can be there as cover for Mings and Konsa.

33 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Do you think he will be Björn again?

I think Dean Smith has sent and SOS to get back here from his parents home in Belgium where he has been rehabilitating. Question is, does his mother know? 

If we can ship a few out like AEG, Jota and Taylor then I think we add another one or two, If not then we go for it an re-evaluate next window. 

Think we do need another upfront as you can pretty much write Wesley off for the remainder of the season.

Was most peoples preferred choice at centre back before his mysterious injury.  Konsa then started playing well and people have erased the memory of any good he did.  Admittedly, the competition was poor when he was first choice,  but he's a reasonable backup to have if he's fit.

Hopefully whatever was going on is behind him and he can push on. Be great to see him play in the cup. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

How can this guy not even get in the carabao cup squad? He must be fine here. Shame I thought he looked ok.

Obviously has had a falling out with the manager coaching staff or else isnt fit. Either way I'd say his career here is done. 

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Obviously has had a falling out with the manager coaching staff or else isnt fit. Either way I'd say his career here is done. 

surely he would have been bombed out to the bomb squad if fell out with the manager

Ultimately he hasn't played a game in 8 months now. Players with ACLs can get back quicker than that.

Will be a fair bit off match speed if we suddenly threw him in again which might happen if either Konsa-Mings get injured given Hause might be out for a few weeks (and it's not like he's a great option).

Even though we've done well with transfers in last 3 weeks does seem to be a bit of odd thinking regarding CB and bit risky to leave things as they are. As we saw last season an injury to Mings and things get very chaotic at the back.

• Like 1

Could have done with a fully fit Engels against Stoke. As soon as Konsa came on we dominated the game. Engels was reading the game so well before he picked up a knock and started playing with an injury. I hope he can get back to his best levels so he can start pushing Konsa and Mings to even higher levels. Thanks to the performance last last night though Engels might not get too many minutes to get match sharp.

• Like 1

If Smith is adamant we're not getting anyone else in I guess he really has been injured all this time. 

I pray he is still in favour because I want him ahead of Hause. 

• Like 2

Â