Björn Engels

Delphinho123

16 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I'm gutted about Engels. When he first played for us I thought he'd be the one to push on, he looked decent at the start of last season. Now we don't even know when we'll see him again.

Really hope his head hasn't gone after the spurs game last season. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened, for example Karius after his Champions League howlers.

He played alright in the cup final in fairness two weeks later.

Realistically though we'll move him on in one of the next two windows, very much the 4th choice CB and you don't really want that to be a mid 20s type. More a young up and coming prospect or experienced head type like AEM.

22 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

It could also be that he is simply not good enough. He looked good in his debut, but he has also looked slow on the turn, a bit fumbly, and made some howlers. Injuries now and then doesn't help either. If I remember correctly he had a couple of seasons in Belgium, a season in Greece and one in France, but didn't really hit the heights anywhere. Apparently scouted by Brentford, so they saw him as a Championship player. He has been mentioned and been around the Belgium squad, but hasn't really got in the squad.

He is obviously talented and could perhaps develop into a good player, but it may also be that he simply will not be good enough. Even if he is injury free and gets into form I'm not convinced he is a player for us where we are now. Now we aim higher.

Hope he proves me wrong though 🙂 

We have said plenty of players aren’t good enough over the past  year but they keep proving us wrong,  something is odd about this one though he hasn’t even featured in cup games if he doesn’t play against Liverpool in the fa cup then  he has no future here but we won’t let him go until we find a replacement 

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He played alright in the cup final in fairness two weeks later.

Realistically though we'll move him on in one of the next two windows, very much the 4th choice CB and you don't really want that to be a mid 20s type. More a young up and coming prospect or experienced head type like AEM.

Shame Chester didn’t stay

7 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Shame Chester didn’t stay

Been very comfortable with all of our outgoings since Smith came in. I haven't looked back at one, with hindsight and thought, we got that one wrong. Chester was a hell of a player for us but ive watched a bit of stoke. He's a championship player now and plays like one.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Been very comfortable with all of our outgoings since Smith came in. I haven't looked back at one, with hindsight and thought, we got that one wrong. Chester was a hell of a player for us but ive watched a bit of stoke. He's a championship player now and plays like one.

So have I , but I believe he could have played a bit part role here like Elmo

On 01/01/2021 at 14:53, VillaAlex said:

Rumours that Club Brugge want him. If we can recoup a decent fee we should probably sell as he is too injury prone. 

I'd definitely sell tbf - he's just too slow for the league. 

• Like 1

I think everything points to the fact he doesnt want to be here. Players who move like tug boats don't pick up constant muscular injuries.

Good defender. I have good memories of him but he is off. Got found out, targeted and exposed the more the season went on. Be interesting why he could do now in a settled side but doesn't look like it is going to happen.

Went from one of the first name on the sheets to 4th choice CB.  No coming back from that.

A lot of rumours of fallouts and problems behind the scenes, but I reckon Smith just realised over time that Engels was too easy to expose on the turn, and that isn’t something that can be fixed.

Even Mings has the same problem tbh. It’s Konsa who makes our defence watertight against the ball in behind.

If we had a quicker LCB, maybe Engels would have got more of a look in, but I think his days have been numbered here ever since Shane Long had his pants down.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Â