Björn Engels

Delphinho123

I’d love to know exactly what happened with Engels. He played a fair bit up until that horrendous Leicester game. He’ll always be remembered for failing to trap the ball against Spurs, giving them the win. Was it just that his confidence was shot? Too many injuries? Or that Smith just didn’t rate him? £9m is still a reasonable fee for a player to turn out badly. Especially when Smith had tracked him for so long. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

Good luck to him. Shame it didn't work out looked a decent signing at first then after he returned from injury he just never got going again. CB cover next then. 

Real Madrid Kiss GIF by UEFA

• Haha 1

Just now, It's Your Round said:

I’d love to know exactly what happened with Engels. He played a fair bit up until that horrendous Leicester game. He’ll always be remembered for failing to trap the ball against Spurs, giving them the win. Was it just that his confidence was shot? Too many injuries? Or that Smith just didn’t rate him? £9m is still a reasonable fee for a player to turn out badly. Especially when Smith had tracked him for so long. 

It is a very strange one. Wonder if the rumours of a major tiff were true. How do we know Smith tracked him for so though? Is he quoted as saying as much somewhere? 

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

Personally, I liked him.

Best result for both parties though.

• Like 1

awkward arrested development GIF

Wow. Wasn't expecting that. 

Have we even got a fee out of this? Nothing seems to be mentioned. 

Strange transfer.  Obviously just not fancied by Deano for whatever reason. 

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Don't think it was as much as £9m, a quick Google and a few sources seem to agree it was around €8m Euro, which works out just shy of £7m, that's pretty cheap these days.

I take your point though, it's a strange one, looked good to begin with.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

It is a very strange one. Wonder if the rumours of a major tiff were true. How do we know Smith tracked him for so though? Is he quoted as saying as much somewhere? 

Yeah he mentioned it when we signed him. 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2019/07/17/smith-on-engels

Engels joined us here on our USA Tour after putting pen to paper on a claret and blue deal.

And Smith was thrilled to get his man as he extolled his defensive and attacking qualities.

He told Club TV: “I am very pleased. 

“Björn is one I’ve kept an eye on for probably 18 months. He first came to my attention when I was Head Coach at Brentford. He moved on to Reims from Olympiacos and I’ve kept an eye on his career. 

6 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I think he just got found out really. Was a smart user of the ball and in a decent team again could do a job but yes once he started getting exposed it was touch to watch.

I'd be surprised if there was an upset.

Smith obviously decided that Bjorn was not good enough as he played a grand total of 0 minutes of first team football last season for us.

He could tackle but I think he was just not mobile enough for the modern PL.

He gave a very affable interview a few months back in which he was happy and settled but it hardly pointed to a motivated player trying everything to get first team football.

Not the end of the world he didn't cost most for premier league signings. They don't all work out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

I think he just got found out really. Was a smart user of the ball and in a decent team again could do a job but yes once he started getting exposed it was touch to watch.

I'd be surprised if there was an upset.

Yeah that’s probably the case. He wasn’t very quick and you need pace in the PL, if you haven’t got exemplary reading of the game. 

18 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

He looked good on the ball and fairly decent at first. Eventually he got horribly exposed due to a serious lack of pace and athleticism. Never a prem player. 

The spurs error just cemented it. 

• Like 2

Â