Mahmoud 'Trézéguet' Hassan

Demitri_C

Sell him if that’s his attitude. Championship is much closer to his level than PL anyway but if he doesn’t want to fight for the club then sell him. I appreciate a lot of players wouldn’t want to hang around in the championship and that’s fine, but this kind of attitude is what caused all the problems in the Sherwood/Garde era. I’d rather have players where playing for Aston Villa actually means something. 

19 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Sell him if that’s his attitude. Championship is much closer to his level than PL anyway but if he doesn’t want to fight for the club then sell him. I appreciate a lot of players wouldn’t want to hang around in the championship and that’s fine, but this kind of attitude is what caused all the problems in the Sherwood/Garde era. I’d rather have players where playing for Aston Villa actually means something. 

I'd argue Championship is an even more physical league. He'd struggle more.

IF the stories about him wanting to leave upon relegation have any truth to them, then for me we consider every offer that might come in for him. Furthermore, I wouldn’t particularly want that type of attitude around my 1st team squad, I’d sooner go with Vassilev. 

He is just being honest. Most players wouldn't want to stay if you get relegated, but it probably depends if other clubs are willing to pay you more wages.

Meh. He has been ok, flashes of promise but too lightweight so far. I'd rather he stick around for another year to see if he improves but I wouldn't be gutted if he was sold off either, but we will lose lots of twitter followers which is of course the main thing in modern football.

24 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He is just being honest. Most players wouldn't want to stay if you get relegated, but it probably depends if other clubs are willing to pay you more wages.

Meh. He has been ok, flashes of promise but too lightweight so far. I'd rather he stick around for another year to see if he improves but I wouldn't be gutted if he was sold off either, but we will lose lots of twitter followers which is of course the main thing in modern football.

You say OK. I can't help but look at our position of 19th, how shit we've been for large amounts of the season, and how shit he has been in particular in a shit team and conclude that he's worse than OK, particularly at this level. He's not OK for a prem team. He's been a non-entity bar a few goals that he didn't create and I also struggle to see what he'd achieve in the Championship.

Though I imagine the tweet is probably not a fair reflection of the truth, as usual.

Edited by Rolta

Tin hat time but I think the lad has some potential, if and when he ever achieves this potential is highly debatable. He needs to get fitter and baulk up a bit

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Tin hat time but I think the lad has some potential, if and when he ever achieves this potential is highly debatable. He needs to get fitter and baulk up a bit

He looked to have some serious abs from the pictures when they came back to training recently.

For me thou the problem is that he lacks both a football brain and any real skill.

1 minute ago, sne said:

He looked to have some serious abs from the pictures when they came back to training recently.

For me thou the problem is that he lacks both a football brain and any real skill.

somewhat of a problem in the modern game 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Anyone who thinks we overpaid for Trezeguet has missed out on the way the game (and world) has changed in recent years. 

Trezeguet has 4.2million instagram followers - from a financial perspective that gives him a value that other players don't have - he has more followers than all but six of the teams in the Premier league, and five times as many as AVFC. 

That means when you sign Trezeguet, you immediately gain a fanbase that's quite possibly larger than the one you started with - commercially he's gold dust, he's unicorn poo, he's the promised land - we'll have made a fortune from one year of him being here. Whatever his qualities as a player, his following makes him a commercial hot property, it's what gives him an inflated transfer value and it's most likely what will drive his agent to move him on and drive demand from other clubs. 

Financially, owning Trezeguet is like finding a new sponsor.

It doesn't mean he's any good, but it should go some ways to explaining his value and the potential demand for him.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Anyone who thinks we overpaid for Trezeguet has missed out on the way the game (and world) has changed in recent years. 

Trezeguet has 4.2million instagram followers - from a financial perspective that gives him a value that other players don't have - he has more followers than all but six of the teams in the Premier league, and five times as many as AVFC. 

That means when you sign Trezeguet, you immediately gain a fanbase that's quite possibly larger than the one you started with - commercially he's gold dust, he's unicorn poo, he's the promised land - we'll have made a fortune from one year of him being here. Whatever his qualities as a player, his following makes him a commercial hot property, it's what gives him an inflated transfer value and it's most likely what will drive his agent to move him on and drive demand from other clubs. 

Financially, owning Trezeguet is like finding a new sponsor.

It doesn't mean he's any good, but it should go some ways to explaining his value and the potential demand for him.

Sadly that's why he's been signed.

In theory you're absolutely correct but I'd be interested in seeing some figures (we never will!) on how social following of a player could have been converted. Has he been a success in the club's eyes already perhaps?

If we're signing players on their Instagram followers we won't be very successful on the pitch ever again.

We were not in a position to waste £10m on a player who couldn't contribute on the pitch. A foolish transfer.

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If we're signing players on their Instagram followers we won't be very successful on the pitch ever again.

We were not in a position to waste £10m on a player who couldn't contribute on the pitch. A foolish transfer.

You'd hope we start by looking at football players - I'd imagine they looked at Trezeguet and thought he's a player who might have a chance and then thought how much does he cost - £9m!?! That's a bit steep - oh hold on though we get £3m a year back on his commercial appeal - on that basis he's almost a free transfer. 

Financially what we paid for Trezeguet doesn't directly relate to what we paid for say Targett - Trezeguet comes with a money back guarantee.

Will he live up to his price tag? You never know, he might and he might not - but the point is that his price tag isn't really a reflection of the money he costs you or of his value as a player.

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

You'd hope we start by looking at football players - I'd imagine they looked at Trezeguet and thought he's a player who might have a chance and then thought how much does he cost - £9m!?! That's a bit steep - oh hold on though we get £3m a year back on his commercial appeal - on that basis he's almost a free transfer. 

Financially what we paid for Trezeguet doesn't directly relate to what we paid for say Targett - Trezeguet comes with a money back guarantee.

Will he live up to his price tag? You never know, he might and he might not - but the point is that his price tag isn't really a reflection of the money he costs you or of his value as a player.

Yep, fair and logical, if it's working as they'd hope. I can't see too many practical direct benefits we'd get even if he stayed in his current squad filler role for three seasons. I don't know the industry though, @NurembergVillan usually has an insight into these things.

Targett another hideous financial error we made. Christ, 14-17m it was reported as!

At the end of the day given our position of promotion and the spectre of FFP wafting about the club could only shop at  a certain level regardless of billionaire owners. They decided to take a bit of a 'moneyball' approach of buying younger players who hopefully should develop and progress. And if they are really good you sell the player for a shed load of money and then you can go shopping at the next level. 

That is all very sensible and well planned  but I still think perhaps we could have bought a couple more experienced players or even a loan signing, because I still think this squad is reasonably talented but just a bit lightweight and flaky. Trez is a prime example. I still think basically our shopping list would have been pretty similar had win not won at Wembley with the only difference that Grealish would have gone and and we would not have signed Mings.

And also the signing fee is far less important than what we are paying them. I suspect although we were one of the big spenders in the summer, the caveat is 1 that we had to play a lot of players to rebuild the squad, and 2- most of them are probably on lower than average premier league salary. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

Agents will not currently be saying no to any club that asks them about one of our players, that will be down to the player.

We had an exodus of players from our club the last time we were relegated (the phrase rats deserting a sinking ship, came to mind), some will want to go this time, whether or not their own performances had been a contributing factor to the club's relegation. Hopefully it won't come to that. Trez wise, he's always looked determined enough and that may yet come in handy in our remaining games.    

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's a hard one to quantify because, as with most sports marketing expenditure, the ROI tends to be indirect.  We're not going to sell £3m a year of Trezeguet shirts (that's Zlatan or Pogba territory) or put added bums on seats.

What he may offer, though, is a solid bargaining chip in conversations with sponsors regarding regional exposure - and the harder to measure regional exposure of the club itself.  There may be increased viewing figures in North Africa which could lead broadcasters to want us on TV more. We could sell more merchandise, or drive more traffic to the W88 website (maybe unlikely in a Muslim country!).

To give some perspective, Trez has 1.9m followers on Twitter.  Aston Villa has 1.3m.  He's kind of a big deal.

Thanks. Perhaps whether future deals like this happen again will tell us how successful this one has been away from the pitch.

Â