Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

12 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Hah. Remember On the Ball saturday mornings early 2000s with Baz and a young Gabby Logan. What happened to the Vension?

Venison? Heard his wage demands were too deer... 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Hah. Remember On the Ball saturday mornings early 2000s with Baz and a young Gabby Logan. What happened to the Vension?

Yeah he was on the TV more often than Micah Richards is now. Popped up in the Mike Bassett film aswell which I watched for the first time recently. Think he went to work in America after ITV lost the premier league rights.

Edited by VillaChris

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Mings-Engels looked decent at start of the season...however clean sheets were still as rare as they are now and we were conceding 2s and 3s on a regular basis which was costing us points that look very crucial now.

Just out of interest SGC, how many goals would we have conceded in the league if we had a rubbish defence, 100? 😉

We have spent an awful lot of money on that defence and goalkeeper, we have had quite a lot of injuries in both positions. Keeping clean sheets in the Premier League is difficult, the standard of the attacking play is very high I think. Do you think our defence is rubbish VillaChris? Do you think that we will be relegated VillaChris? If we conceded 100 goals in 1 season, we would certainly be relegated. We’ve been poor for so long now, I actually can’t remember us being good

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Mings-Engels looked decent at start of the season...however clean sheets were still as rare as they are now and we were conceding 2s and 3s on a regular basis which was costing us points that look very crucial now.

Just out of interest SGC, how many goals would we have conceded in the league if we had a rubbish defence, 100? 😉

I don't think the individuals are the problem. It's the whole tactics, and not having a proper forwards that's affecting the confidence. For the lack of technique, we depend on our left back as the third best players who could do something with the ball. He's not good defensively, but we're pathetic offensively without him. We have a monster in headers and high balls, but he's limited as a defender. Most of our team aren't experienced enough. So I think Mings and Konsa atleast are good players. If we had Luiz as he's now things would've different. If we had a proper wingers and a forward things would've been much different even in terms of defence. The confidence level is really important. It's not just quality.

Luiz himself is a big example.

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don't think the individuals are the problem. It's the whole tactics, and not having a proper forwards that's affecting the confidence. For the lack of technique, we depend on our left back as the third best players who could do something with the ball. He's not good defensively, but we're pathetic offensively without him. We have a monster in headers and high balls, but he's limited as a defender. Most of our team aren't experienced enough. So I think Mings and Konsa atleast are good players. If we had Luiz as he's now things would've different. If we had a proper wingers and a forward things would've been much different even in terms of defence. The confidence level is really important. It's not just quality.

Luiz himself is a big example.

We play so narrow as well. Almost all of the goals we concede come from a picked out pass or cross because a player has had 4 or 5 seconds out wide. You can't keep a clean sheet in this league if you give good players time to think.

How many times have we conceded at the back post because eour full back and cb were holding hands as the ball came in? Happened at Chelsea and Everton and loads of other times as well 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We have spent an awful lot of money on that defence and goalkeeper, we have had quite a lot of injuries in both positions. Keeping clean sheets in the Premier League is difficult, the standard of the attacking play is very high I think. Do you think our defence is rubbish VillaChris? Do you think that we will be relegated VillaChris? If we conceded 100 goals in 1 season, we would certainly be relegated. We’ve been poor for so long now, I actually can’t remember us being good

It was the worst in the league before Norwich basically gave up coming back from restart.

I didn't expect things to be amazing but we've seen with likes of Newcastle, Wolves and Sheffield United all coming up in recent times and being reasonably decent defensively.

When Huddersfield and Brighton first came up in 17/18 they conceded 58 and 54 consecutively so there's two more promoted teams who've conceded much less than us.

FWIW I think we were defensively competitive until the Leicester home game where it all fell apart after the Mings injury and we've never really recovered from that game.

We signed 4 CBs in the summer. None of them were older than 26 and it's a position where experience is key. Once we saw Chester wouldn't be able to hack premier league (and we surely knew that at end of last season) we should've gone all out to get an old head on two year deal just to calm down Mings at times which he needs and also be available to lead the backline when Mings and Heaton were injured as we don't have enough talkers at the back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It was the worst in the league before Norwich basically gave up coming back from restart.

I didn't expect things to be amazing but we've seen with likes of Newcastle, Wolves and Sheffield United all coming up in recent times and being reasonably decent defensively.

When Huddersfield and Brighton first came up in 17/18 they conceded 58 and 54 consecutively so there's two more promoted teams who've conceded much less than us.

FWIW I think we were defensively competitive until the Leicester home game where it all fell apart after the Mings injury and we've never really recovered from that game.

We signed 4 CBs in the summer. None of them were older than 26 and it's a position where experience is key. Once we saw Chester wouldn't be able to hack premier league (and we surely knew that at end of last season) we should've gone all out to get an old head on two year deal just to calm down Mings at times which he needs and also be available to lead the backline when Mings and Heaton were injured as we don't have enough talkers at the back.

We spent an awful lot of money on our defence last Summer, an initial fee of £20m potentially rising to £25m on Mings who looked unbeatable at the start of the seaon, got called up by England and and he hasn’t been the same since then. We spent £12m on Konsa who hasn’t played much but when he has, he has looked good I think, he’s only young though, so still has time on his side. We spent £9m on Engels who also looked great at the start of the this season but then he made a mistake against Spurs and our fans turned on him. Guilbert was an undisclosed fee, he’s done ok this season I think. Targett was signed for a reported £11m, he’s great going forward, when he links up with Grealish, it’s great to watch but he is a bit suspect when he comes up against quick players. Heaton was signed for £8m, he looked great at the season but then picked up a serious injury and we haven’t got another keeper close to his standard

6 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We spent an awful lot of money on our defence last Summer, an initial fee of £20m potentially rising to £25m on Mings who looked unbeatable at the start of the seaon, got called up by England and and he hasn’t been the same since then. We spent £12m on Konsa who hasn’t played much but when he has, he has looked good I think, he’s only young though, so still has time on his side. We spent £9m on Engels who also looked great at the start of the this season but then he made a mistake against Spurs and our fans turned on him. Guilbert was an undisclosed fee, he’s done ok this season I think. Targett was signed for a reported £11m, he’s great going forward, when he links up with Grealish, it’s great to watch but he is a bit suspect when he comes up against quick players. Heaton was signed for £8m, he looked great at the season but then picked up a serious injury and we haven’t got another keeper close to his standard

You say those numbers for what we got and it looks like we got rinsed, that clubs knew we needed players and that the desperation made us pay more than what we should of done for players who never done this before.

I think Konsa, like Douglas Luiz is emblematic of what we got wrong this season.

Both useful signings, with plenty of potential. On an individual level, can't really criticise the thinking in picking them up - don't think we overpaid for either player, and they've both started to come good.

But as a strategy, we made too many signings like this, and needed too much time to get accustomed to the pace of the league.

If by some miracle, we do scrape survival this season, then we can be optimistic that this squad will continue to improve.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Hornso said:

I think it was the 1874 podcast that mentioned quite a few continental teams have been scouting Konsa this season. Hopefully we can keep a hold of him.

I think he’s going to be a real player 

• Like 1

For me:

Heaton, Mings, Konsa, Targett, Luiz, McGinn, (Grealish) are really good to have as a starters. I'm happy with Guilbert and Elmo too. It's the forwards that needs changing. Possibly a big midfielder too.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2020 at 02:49, abdulaziz1 said:

For me:

Heaton, Mings, Konsa, Targett, Luiz, McGinn, (Grealish) are really good to have as a starters. I'm happy with Guilbert and Elmo too. It's the forwards that needs changing. Possibly a big midfielder too.

If the only criteria is big I'm 6'2" and play midfield ;)

• Haha 1

Credit where credit is due to all who were involved with this transfer. I was very excited when we pipped Wolves to his signature and he's coming on leaps and bounds. Nevermind Mings, Konsa is who we need to hold onto come next season!

• Like 1

Â