Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

8 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Expect a big season from Konsa, his game is evolving under Emery and becoming a more well rounded player.

It's also because he needed to develop that part of his game to stay in the team - competition has become fierce at the back. We are absolutely stacked at CB at the moment. 

• Like 1

One of the most amazing goals I've seen! Reminiscent of Maradona v England or Hutton vs Birmingham except that they started their runs from near the halfway line whereas Konsa started from near his penalty box, wow! If only it had been the winning goal in a PL game (or the FA Cup final even).

Edited by robby b

30 minutes ago, robby b said:

One of the most amazing goals I've seen! Reminiscent of Maradona v England or Hutton vs Birmingham except that they started their runs from near the halfway line whereas Konsa started from near his penalty box, wow! If only it had been in a PL game (or the winning goal in the FA Cup final).

Not only that, the finishing is not what you’d expect from a defender.

• Like 1

On 31/07/2023 at 08:46, sparrow1988 said:

I love the two Brentford lads just bouncing off him around half way. Hilarious.

What a goal though.

Combination of more power and determination/self belief instilled by Emery that is!

• Like 1

He looked a little hesitant on the ball in the first 5-10 minutes vs Lazio, but soon settled, but he does seem to have responded really well, he really has kicked on and his recovery speed was needed. I also noticed how little, if anything, gets past him - on the ground or in the air.

I think it will be who partners Torres this season in the defence and he may edge ahead of Mings this season as the #2 choice if he continues. But we have a very healthy CB situation at the club nowadays.

On a side note, even though he signed a new 5 year contract recently he is one of our lowest earners at £30K p.w.

Edited by thunderball

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

He looked a little hesitant on the ball in the first 5-10 minutes vs Lazio, but soon settled, but he does seem to have responded really well, he really has kicked on and his recovery speed was needed. I also noticed how little, if anything, gets past him - on the ground or in the air.

I think it will be who partners Torres this season in the defence and he may edge ahead of Mings this season as the #2 choice if he continues. But we have a very healthy CB situation at the club nowadays.

On a side note, even though he signed a new 5 year contract recently he is one of our lowest earners at £30K p.w.

If we're playing a traditional back four with two CBs and two FBs then we won't see Mings and Torres on the pitch together, both left footed.  Only way we'll see Mings and Torres is if one plays as a defensive left back.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

If we're playing a traditional back four with two CBs and two FBs then we won't see Mings and Torres on the pitch together, both left footed.  Only way we'll see Mings and Torres is if one plays as a defensive left back.

I dont necesarily disagree but I had Mings ahead of Konsa and Carlos, but I really couldnt call it. I'm not sure we will play a traditional back four under Emery unless we are forced to. I think Pau is the default defender in any formation, I think Konsa may become the #1 choice to partner Pau. We now a defence and midfield where you would struggle to name our best line up due to performance levels and competition. Great isn't it?

22 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I dont necesarily disagree but I had Mings ahead of Konsa and Carlos, but I really couldnt call it. I'm not sure we will play a traditional back four under Emery unless we are forced to. I think Pau is the default defender in any formation, I think Konsa may become the #1 choice to partner Pau. We now a defence and midfield where you would struggle to name our best line up due to performance levels and competition. Great isn't it?

I don't think Pau will start against Newcastle, would be Mings and Konsa for me.  That's going to be a tough away game, with their crowd and how physical a team they are, Pau is a good defender but would be a tough first game for him up against Callum Wilson.  

Time to start discussing how he is undroppable.. 137 competitive appearances for Villa .He should be put in rbe same bracket as Mings and McGinn as Mr Aston Villa . Bar the penalty he has been sublime this preseason. Getting better and better each season. And still only 25 years old. The oldest 25 year old i ha e ever seen. Feels like he has been with us for 10 years. 

I remember the first season he was in and out of the team. Then Terry started coaching them and there was a huge improvement.  Then the drop naturally under Gerrard like everyone else before Emery comes in with his coaches and he becomes part of a cb partnership that conceded 8 goals in the last 15 prem games . 

He is a highly coachable player . That is the perfect Ying to Mings Yang  . The Pau situ is one that Emery will have to solve but at the moment the words if it aint broke dont fix it come to mind. 

We talk about McGinn and Luiz as great value but the 12 mill for Ez was equally good imo. 

Edited by MWARLEY2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Time to start discussing how he is undroppable.. 137 competitive appearances for Villa .He should be put in rbe same bracket as Mings and McGinn as Mr Aston Villa . Bar the penalty he has been sublime this preseason. Getting better and better each season. And still only 25 years old. The oldest 25 year old i ha e ever seen. Feels like he has been with us for 10 years. 

I remember the first season he was in and out of the team. Then Terry started coaching them and there was a huge improvement.  Then the drop naturally under Gerrard like everyone else before Emery comes in with his coaches and he becomes part of a cb partnership that conceded 8 goals in the last 15 prem games . 

He is a highly coachable player . That is the perfect Ying to Mings Yang  . The Pau situ is one that Emery will have to solve but at the moment the words if it aint broke dont fix it come to mind. 

I agree, almost now as if Carlos is the odd man out now just because we have seen so little of him over the last 12 months because of injury.  Torres you would expect is a certain starter and Mings and Konsa seem undroppable so four players into two or three available slots.  What a glorious headache to have.  Very much a squad game so we’ll need all four but just like midfield I keep changing my mind who I’d like to start the next game.

• Like 1

Â