Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

Game by game he is improving the one real flaw in his game.  His reluctance to play a forward pass was always so infuriating. Under Unai you can see him getting bolder by the game.  Don't think he will ever be dominant in the air but he is on his way to being an elite ball playing (insert Kenneth Williams gif here) center back.  Carlos has a massive fight on his hands to win a place in our backline for next season. 

• Like 2

I've been highly critical in the past so I also need to give him big praise. 

Pretty much ever since Unai stepped through the door, Konsa has been getting back to the high level we saw when he first arrived. Like a lot of others in here, I'm very pleased his general ball playing abilities are beginning to show. That was probably one of my biggest problems previously. 

Also this is a great stat that hasn't been posted:

I'm not sure how he does it but just like the Grealish days, it's a huge benefit to us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Pretty much ever since Unai stepped through the door, Konsa has been getting back to the high level we saw when he first arrived. Like a lot of others in here, I'm very pleased his general ball playing abilities are beginning to show. That was probably one of my biggest problems previously. 

I'm not sure how he does it but just like the Grealish days, it's a huge benefit to us.

Hes clever in that he gets his body across a centre forward and then drops to the floor. A referee is far likely to give a centre back a free kick as the striker who has fouled/dispossessed them is then through on goal. Easier from a refs perspective to just give the foul. Centre halves also generally dont go down on slight contact, so he gets the benefit of the doubt.

The danger for him and us is that referees become more aware of him doing it and stop buying into it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Harsh lesson today. That one lapse of concentration that allowed Rashford in cost us a goal and marred what was otherwise a very accomplished performance. One to learn from. 

Redeemed himself in the second half for sure. I think we suffered far more under the rain.

Thought he was brilliant. Did any Man. United player get past him once. Back to being the master of anticipating, getting his body infront and getting a free kick.

This is the Konsa again of 20/21 and one I can really get behind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Harsh lesson today. That one lapse of concentration that allowed Rashford in cost us a goal and marred what was otherwise a very accomplished performance. One to learn from. 

It wasn't Konsa's fault. Emi mishandled a very weak shot, it's all down to him.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

It wasn't Konsa's fault. Emi mishandled a very weak shot, it's all down to him.

No ones fault but a very avoided  goal. Konsa gets up quicker and it's offside, Emily not caught out by an early shot and jts an easy save, Moreno runs with a bit more intent and he's not caught out by Bruno.

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Cobblers

Edited by jimmygreaves

Interesting that Carlos replaced Young today, pushing Ezri out to right back. That could be a sign on our transfer targets this summer if the strategy is to use Cash and Konsa as right backs.

It could fit with Emery’s philosophy of having a conservative RB if Moreno is pushed up and a more attacking WB (Cash) otherwise.

Konsa at RB isn't a viable option imo. Passing isn't good enough, dosen't offer enough going forward and he also got skinned comfortably by Neto in once chance Wolves could've easily scored so think he's better getting tackles in from players running from central areas.

• Like 2

On 27/04/2023 at 07:18, Farlz said:

The nest at it in the Premier league very clever how he does it but also so simple, gets his body in-between plater & ball & goes down, its that simple he must do it 3 or 4 times a game, it's very effective as it gives the back four a breather & enables us to reset.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2023 at 17:26, VillaChris said:

Konsa at RB isn't a viable option imo. Passing isn't good enough, dosen't offer enough going forward and he also got skinned comfortably by Neto in once chance Wolves could've easily scored so think he's better getting tackles in from players running from central areas.

Agreed, really showed how solid Young has been, watching Ezri there for 30 minutes. Rather him battle for centre back where he's been excellent and sign a quality right back.

Next few games could decide a lot for him at Villa.

I think he's getting a run at right back and it'll provide Emery with some info on if he needs to buy a RB this summer.

He's perfect for it I think. Probably won't be much fun with such a high line against Son, Jota and Mitoma though.

Â