Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

17 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Am I the only one who doesn't want him to play RB?  I keep seeing "We should move Konsa to RB" everywhere.

• While Emery's system wants us to have our RB stay back most of the time, the role still needs to be able to pick a good forward pass to the RW or through traffic to the RAM or DM.  Konsa's passing is the worst in our backline and would be detrimental to our build up on the right side.
  • Cash is actually one of the top defensive RBs in the Prem statistically, and is underrated by a lot on here.  He missed a lot of games due to his injuries and the form of Ashley Young last season, but he's still a very good defender with better passing range than Konsa.  Here are the defensive stats from 2 seasons ago under Slippy G.

3d31c881-e1d5-4588-8549-36af3cd5e049?width=1920&quality=70  

No, I don't either. We need someone with a far greater range of passing and a lot more comfortable on the ball. Ezri is good at keeping it simple and has improved a lot when under pressure, but he's not going to be at the level we need him to be for that role IMO. 

• Like 1

What now?

Surely has to lose his place but I don't really want him to. Not a right-back. I get we need to improve but Mings, Konsa, probably Carlos and Torres are all strong Europa-level defenders. All would improve teams like Spurs.

Does one leave?

34 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

What now?

Surely has to lose his place but I don't really want him to. Not a right-back. I get we need to improve but Mings, Konsa, probably Carlos and Torres are all strong Europa-level defenders. All would improve teams like Spurs.

Does one leave?

good squad player.

we will have Mings, Pau, Konsa and Carlos, great headache to have.

Can see Chambers moving on tho tbh.

Not sure why we need to get worked up when we have good players outside of the starting 11, its a good problem to have tbh.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2023 at 17:40, gilbertoAVFC said:

What now?

Does one leave?

No injuries and we have the prospect fo Chambers starting again 

Couple of things occurred to me, did he play every league game last season? Surely he cant be dropped from this defence. We had the best defence in the premier league by an absolute mile for the last 3 months of the season. 

Also has he got a chant/song? Cant remember one for him. This'll be his 5th season and could likely go past 150 appearances for the club. Need to get that sorted.

10 hours ago, turvontour said:

Couple of things occurred to me, did he play every league game last season? Surely he cant be dropped from this defence. We had the best defence in the premier league by an absolute mile for the last 3 months of the season. 

Also has he got a chant/song? Cant remember one for him. This'll be his 5th season and could likely go past 150 appearances for the club. Need to get that sorted.

Yes he did. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, turvontour said:

He can and he probably will. But he will definitely play his part in what will be a very long season.

• 2 weeks later...

He's very down in his post-match interview from yesterday, seems gutted in it which seems to me a bit out of proportion, I've never seen him like that before. And I think he says we "didn't create enough chances at all" which I don't agree with, we scored three goals afterall !

1 minute ago, robby b said:

He's very down in his post-match interview from yesterday, seems gutted in it which seems to me a bit out of proportion, I've never seen him like that before. And I think he says we "didn't create enough chances at all" which I don't agree with, we scored three goals afterall !

Good i want to see our players disappointed. It drives them to better themselves 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Good i want to see our players disappointed. It drives them to better themselves 

Yeah, true, and I imagine it's partly as we went from 2-0 up to 2-2, which was a bit annoying, even though it was only a pre-season friendly. I'm just a bit surprised at just how disappointed he seemed though, I'd understand if it had been a PL or cup match. Sounds like he played ok too, better than a few others.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, robby b said:

Yeah, true, and I imagine it's partly as we went from 2-0 up to 2-2, which was a bit annoying, even though it was only a pre-season friendly. I'm just a bit surprised at just how disappointed he seemed though, I'd understand if it had been a PL or cup match. Sounds like he played ok too, better than a few others.

Because he knows he has to perform in pre-season to get one of the CB slots in the first team.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Because he knows he has to perform in pre-season to get one of the CB slots in the first team.

And I suppose he felt he hadn't played well enough, although from the match thread it sounded like he was fine. Well, that's good that he has such high expectations of himself, following on from Dem's post above.

Was very interesting seeing him have that bursting run forward a la Mings in the first half, plus that ball to McGinn in the build-up to one of our goals was lovely. Another player who is developing nicely under Emery. 

I'm actually starting to think he might be able to play at RB after having some reservations about it. 

Â